The Richard o Sullivan Appreciation Thread

2»

Comments

• amstereofanamstereofan Posts: 1,765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vidalia wrote: »
    I believe Tessa and their son Jamie visit Richard O'Sullivan weekly. She married a businessman in 1986 and has two children with him.

This is what he looks like now.
    http://www.robertross.co.uk/USERIMAGES/teacher.jpg

I'm afraid it's not - when was this taken I wonder - acc to the daily mail THIS is what he looks like now :-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1107145/Old-Man-About-The-House-Frail-70s-heart-throb-Richard-OSullivan-looks-unrecognisable.html
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A Seventies legend. Miss seeing him performing. Did some good work. Have known about his health difficulties for quite a few years now. Hope things have settled for him somewhat. Would love to see him act again.
  • martinamerlotmartinamerlot Posts: 3,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard's great, especially in Dick Turpin. Now that deserves a repeat! :)
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame to see Richard having such ill health in recent years.

He was a great actor and very popular in his day.
  • Midnight RunnerMidnight Runner Posts: 1,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard is doing ok, my mate speaks to him every so often. You can see on the online pics where he had to have surgery on his jaw, he had a serious op about two years ago and was in a bad way but he's much better now. I notice he still buys The Sun newspaper!

The Mail are mean sending photographers to stalk him, he's a private man who hates the spotlight these days - but then they love doing stuff like that:mad:
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's nothing to achieve in printing these pictures.

He is not somebody who has courted the spotlight, particularly now that he is older and has been unwell.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder what Daily Mail 'reporter' Paul Revoir would think if someone went and stalked his elderly dad, took some photos and put them up on Daily Mail website? Would that be invasion of privacy or freedom of the press?

Also why is it automatically seen as a bad thing to get older. Are we so afraid of aging and the loss of youth that we have to gawp at it with disbelief?
  • BBrooksBBrooks Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    This is the most recent picture I've found of Richard from 2011. He's promoting the "Man About The House - George & Mildred: The Definitive Companion" book. He looks great and still has that trademark O'Sullivan grin. :-) Click the link below;

http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/374657_263987990313515_601877803_n.jpg
    I wonder what Daily Mail 'reporter' Paul Revoir would think if someone went and stalked his elderly dad, took some photos and put them up on Daily Mail website?

Agreed! The Daily Mail had no right to do what they did, the whole article was very cruel. I wrote to Richard recently and he sent me a super quick reply and personally signed my MATH & Dick Turpin photos. A Legend.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBrooks wrote: »
    This is the most recent picture I've found of Richard from 2011. He's promoting the "Man About The House - George & Mildred: The Definitive Companion" book. He looks great and still has that trademark O'Sullivan grin. :-) Click the link below;

http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/374657_263987990313515_601877803_n.jpg

Agreed! The Daily Mail had no right to do what they did, the whole article was very cruel. I wrote to Richard recently and he sent me a super quick reply and personally signed my MATH & Dick Turpin photos. A Legend.

That's really nice of him. Strokes can be very debilitating, whatever your age. Good to hear he's still got his grin. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's really good to hear. I'm sorry we don't see more of him but I hope he knows that there are lots of us who remember his work and appreciate it. I hope he's found contentment in his older years. I gather he's still at Brinsworth House?
  • mrblankmrblank Posts: 5,687
    Forum Member
    when he was about 18 he was in the film carry on teacher and in 2007 or so he did the DVD commentery for it
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved him in Dick Turpin which I recently found out was available on DVD so I got a copy
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spookyLX wrote: »
    Loved him in Dick Turpin which I recently found out was available on DVD so I got a copy

There was 3 Network Dvds covering the series.

Must give them another spin at some point!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved man aboot da hoose . .
    Sally Tomsett & Paula Wilcox, two very beautiful women, still beautiful to this day !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder what Daily Mail 'reporter' Paul Revoir would think if someone went and stalked his elderly dad, took some photos and put them up on Daily Mail website? Would that be invasion of privacy or freedom of the press?

Also why is it automatically seen as a bad thing to get older. Are we so afraid of aging and the loss of youth that we have to gawp at it with disbelief?

The Daily Mail did some thing even worse a few weeks after the original article about Richard. They printed a story about Sally Thomsett getting married. I believe she was late 50's possibly early 60's and still looked amazing as the Mail said so of course they had drag up the pics of Richard again to compare them. The message they sent out was " look how Sally has looked after herself Richard why didn't you do the same" . Despicable arsewipe of a newspaper.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    He is my mum's first cousin.
  • QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Over Christmas, I recorded Cleopatra. Then one Saturday I sat to watch it and there was a face I recognised but couldn't quite put a name too. I was mighty shocked to see it was Richard playing Cleopatras' brother. I never realised he acted alongside Hollywood legends (and was pretty good too).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought of him as a person you just wanted to like even without knowing his personal life, he just seemed like a really nice bloke. I wish him all the best and say a big thanks for his work on the tv.
  • BBrooksBBrooks Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    That's really good to hear. I'm sorry we don't see more of him but I hope he knows that there are lots of us who remember his work and appreciate it. I hope he's found contentment in his older years. I gather he's still at Brinsworth House?

Yes, he's still at Brinsworth House. I'd like to see more of him too, Man About the House will be celebrating it's 40th Anniversary this year. I'd love to see Richard, Paula Wilcox, Sally Thomsett and Brian Murphy reuniting for a documentary or an interview.
    Over Christmas, I recorded Cleopatra. Then one Saturday I sat to watch it and there was a face I recognised but couldn't quite put a name too. I was mighty shocked to see it was Richard playing Cleopatras' brother. I never realised he acted alongside Hollywood legends (and was pretty good too).

He had a prolific movie career, before his 70's TV stardom. He's also acted with Audrey Hepburn, John Mills, Cliff Richard, Ronnie Barker etc., his CV is very impressive.
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Yes, he's still at Brinsworth House. I'd like to see more of him too, Man About the House will be celebrating it's 40th Anniversary this year. I'd love to see Richard, Paula Wilcox, Sally Thomsett and Brian Murphy reuniting for a documentary or an interview.

He had a prolific movie career, before his 70's TV stardom. He's also acted with Audrey Hepburn, John Mills, Cliff Richard, Ronnie Barker etc., his CV is very impressive.

He was a child star, wasn't he? I love him in Carry on Teacher when he was about 15!
  • gregsanisongregsanison Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The humour in that awful gloomy Robin's Nest sitcom was life the left arm of the waiter - missing!
  • KittenPartyKittenParty Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    Anyone remember him from Me and My Girl, it was a fav of mine as a kid. Saw him yesterday in Man About the House, he had great comic timing and that something extra that made him such a charming actor.
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,845
    Forum Member
    Anyone remember him from Me and My Girl, it was a fav of mine as a kid. Saw him yesterday in Man About the House, he had great comic timing and that something extra that made him such a charming actor.

Richard O'Sullivan was my first telly crush (Man About The House).

I LOVED Me And My Girl. A particularly delightful theme tune by Peter Skellern too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    Richard O'Sullivan was my first telly crush (Man About The House).

I LOVED Me And My Girl. A particularly delightful theme tune by Peter Skellern too.

Oh, I'd forgotten 'Me and My Girl'...thanks for the reminder.
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member

I know I loved Me and My Girl, but I can't remember any of it now! I liked Tim Brook-Taylor in that.

I don't remember a thing about Dick Turpin. I'd forgotten that completely til I saw it mentioned on here!

Albert the one harmed kitchen help in Robin's Nest - brilliant!
    I think when I watched that I actually thought the man who played him DID only have one arm! lol