Why are ITV now putting their logo at the start of their programmes like the BBC do?

2»

Comments

• AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Ok let me out it another way, they are better now than they have been for a long time. Not since the classic look of the late 80s- early 90s has it been bettered.

I think their strongest on screen look since deregionalising, was the celebrities of 2002-2003. At least these idents said what ITV was about. The new ones are just dull. I mean, have you seen that really crappy log fire one? I thought it was an advert for air freshener!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    td1983 wrote: »
    You should get a job working for ITV's marketing department!:D

Seriously though, it sounds plausible. Such a pity that ITV are all about "ITV" the brand nowadays instead of their respective regional identities. I miss the old days of Tyne Tees in my region where I live. You only hear it on the news now!:(

Haha, I could do with the money :D

Seriously though, the positivity is mainly cos I'm really dig their current style. I'm young enough that I never really became attached to the regional identities, but I wasn't really into post-ITV1 ITV either, the identity was pretty bland and uninspired and the programming mostly kinda naff.

They've reversed course on most of the things that put me off and it's working great. I watch ITV all the time again. Couple of years ago it was a rarity.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tedjrr wrote: »
    Are these ITV brandings appearing on STV and UTV?
    Yes, they are as they are simply broadcasting the network feed and opting out of it when required for local programming.
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Remember, on shows like Corrie, ITV is the production company. It's no different to what the BBC do. But the BBC do it much better, Doctor Who is a good example, it's actually incorporated into the series logo.
  • PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TVPaulD wrote: »
    No, it's not either of those things.

ITV is doing it because they are on a mission to increase the value of their brand, which took a hit from around the mid-2000s with the rise of reality shows and not helped by some cancellations of prestigious drama programming.

Currently, ITV is in the process of increasing their drama output once more (most notably with Downton Abbey and its significant international success) and they're understandably keen to ensure their corporate identity is strongly tied to this push for quality programming.

Putting their logo into the opening titles means that when people watch their shows on other platforms (such as Netflix for instance), they know it is an ITV show. This is the same rationale behind the ditching of the separate ITV Player brand identity (Since the January relaunch, ITV Player now uses the main corporate identity across all platforms).

This is all about strengthening the ITV brand to increase viewer loyalty. It's not pretentious at all, it's a mark of ITV's vision for the future.

We seem to have a lot of corporate brainwashed people on here forgetting one simple fact .

People choose to watch programmes like Downton Abbey or Graham Norton, not because of any annoying stupid logo or Corporate Identity, but because they like the programme.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    Paace wrote: »
    We seem to have a lot of corporate brainwashed people on here forgetting one simple fact .

People choose to watch programmes like Downton Abbey or Graham Norton, not because of any annoying stupid logo or Corporate Identity, but because they like the programme.

Uh, no, you've just missed the point. It's not about people watching a show "because it's ITV" or "because it's BBC", it's about ensuring viewers know where the shows they're watching, because they enjoy those shows, come from. It's there to attach the channel brand to those shows they already enjoy to encourage them to tune in to the channel to see more of that show, which in turn helps them find other shows from the same network they might enjoy.

And it works. They wouldn't do it if it didn't work.

Believe it or not, businesses actually do have a pretty good idea about what they're doing, but if sniping at people who agree with them makes you feel clever, well then be my guest.
  • leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could it be for copyright issues?
  • g-bhxug-bhxu Posts: 2,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, will ITV or BBC or both be displayed at the beginning of University Challenge?
  • NewExampleNewExample Posts: 1,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    g-bhxu wrote: »
    So, will ITV or BBC or both be displayed at the beginning of University Challenge?

ITV produce the Graham Norton Show as well. Just because they produce the programme doesn't mean the logo will appear obviously. It's just the shows that appear on ITV or on their other networks.
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    It would appear on ITV Studios programmes aired on the five ITV channels. But not programmes aired on the BBC or Channel 4.
  • PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TVPaulD wrote: »
    Uh, no, you've just missed the point. It's not about people watching a show "because it's ITV" or "because it's BBC", it's about ensuring viewers know where the shows they're watching, because they enjoy those shows, come from. It's there to attach the channel brand to those shows they already enjoy to encourage them to tune in to the channel to see more of that show, which in turn helps them find other shows from the same network they might enjoy.

And it works. They wouldn't do it if it didn't work.

Believe it or not, businesses actually do have a pretty good idea about what they're doing, but if sniping at people who agree with them makes you feel clever, well then be my guest.

Sorry Paul, you sound most confused . It's quite simple people choose to watch programmes because they like them or the programme gets good feedback, not because of where it comes from . I've been enjoying the Big ReUnion and Celebrity Juice on ITV2 because they've been enjoyable . I haven't a clue nor do I care who makes them .

I can tell you the new logo that Yesterday are using is most annoying and they keep flashing it during the ad breaks. I wonder do those responsible think we're all suffering from severe memory loss or dementia, that we need to be reminded every second which channel we tuned into .