Windows 8 - will you upgrade?

OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just bought a new laptop & been advised to upgrade to Windows 8 with the £15 offer. Having read some of the discussions about Windows 8, I'm now having doubts. Don't know if I should... what's everyone else here planning to do?

Will you upgrade to Windows 8? 97 votes

Yes
15% 15 votes
No
63% 62 votes
Wait and see
20% 20 votes

Comments

• The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I havnt read much about 8, but i love 7 so i have no reason to upgrade.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am going to buy one of those convertible touch things that will come with W8 already. But for a £15 I'd buy it anyway, burn it on a DVD, put it on a shelf. You may consider it later, Or not,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    The_One wrote: »
    I havnt read much about 8, but i love 7 so i have no reason to upgrade.

Same here. Have windows 7 and happy with it. :)
  • zantarouszantarous Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have Win 7 but been using 8 and it rocks finally a OS that merges desktop and mobile. Most people are up in arms over trival changes like where the power down switch is. Use it for a few hours and the genius behind it becomes clear.

Use it on a tablet and you have to wonder how long the iPad will be dominating sales.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 424
    Forum Member
    At the moment I'm a Mac user, but have both Windows 7 and Windows 8 Release Preview running in Parallels. There is some nice things about 8 - Its super fast, especially at booting, even within a virtual machine.The Metro interface is nice and the metro apps load quickly and are easy to use. But, its clearly designed for mobile. It doesn't translate that well to the desktop environment in my opinion, I don't like that their is no traditional start menu and the location of things like power down - this takes too many clicks in my opinion.
  • davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    Hell no
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 29,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im still using vista 32bit. Im thinking of getting windows 7 64bit.

What difference will it make?

with vista you a folder is created called windows old for you to take files you want to keep.

How can i still do that when i install windows 7?

Will it be compatible with older games?
  • andym08homeandym08home Posts: 592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought a netbook at the beginning of September which came with Windows 7 Starter which I was going to upgrade to Home Premium anyway (would have cost at least £40), It'll cost me £25 for Windows 8 as I don't think Starter is eligible for the £15 upgrade, the main reason I'm going to upgrade to W8 is so I can play old games like Simon the Sorcerer without having to use VirtualBox or ScummVM
  • DotNetWillDotNetWill Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where is the option for "Already Have"? I upgraded when the RTM went up on MSDN and I've been running for about a month? 6 weeks? Not sure. Anyway, I don't get all the hate.

It works exactly like Win7 for the most part. You can still press win-key then type the name of the app you want to launch, pin things to the start bar and live completely in desktop land without ever touching metro.

The biggest benefit for me is it is FAST, my God is it fast. Boots to a usable desktop quicker, comes back from resume quicker than my MBA that has an SSD. File copies are quicker, the graphs are awesome, pause/resume buttons in copy/moves.

Windows updates no longer nag, they give you two days warning they're going to install and once you're used to the charm bar it's quite intuitive.

Even losing Aero, which at first was jarring, isn't that bad. When I use a Win7 machine now I think Aero looks dated.

Only downside is Metro sucks arse.

It's too bad many people have bought into the negative hype and are slamming it without spending time learning to use it. Oh well, their loss.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »
    Im still using vista 32bit. Im thinking of getting windows 7 64bit.

What difference will it make?

with vista you a folder is created called windows old for you to take files you want to keep.

How can i still do that when i install windows 7?

Will it be compatible with older games?

When you install Windows 7 a windows.old folder is also created.
    If you have an existing Vista windows.old folder this will remain and probably renamed to (something like) windows.old000.

AFAIK if games play on Vista they'll be OK on W7.

The biggest advantage you will see by going to 64bit is that it will recognise more RAM - a 32bit system will only see about 3.25GB no matter how much is installed.
    Check for 64bit drivers for older peripherals i.e. printers/scanners etc. but most are fine.

But, back on topic, my answer for W8 is NO. Tried it, don't like it so W7 is staying for the foreseeable future
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^ With 64bit W7 16bit applications won't work anymore, they will/can with 32bit. You will need XP mode (XP in a virtual machine with a bit of integration to the main OS) to be sure all your applications will work. XP mode is in pro, ultimate, and enterprise edition.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    to clarify i wont be upgrading but i will be happy with it when i buy a new computer.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will definitely upgrading one of my machines to W8.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been using it for a couple of months and am very happy with it. I'm due my annual PC upgrade so I'm going the whole hog, new W8 PC, phone and Surface Pro. I'll not upgrade the rest of the home network PC's to 8 just mine and my lads.
  • Premium-OnionPremium-Onion Posts: 3,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I will be.

When I first tried it many months ago, I hated it and uninstalled.

About three month ago I re-installed it and persevered for a few days to adapt to switching between metro and desktop. I now love it and think it's the best OS yet.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Won't be upgrading because I have a Mac :D
  • PsychoTherapistPsychoTherapist Posts: 2,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably not. I've tried it out and it just feels like a butchered version of Windows 7, with a half-finished GUI. Doesn't offer me anything over Windows 7, for now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Won't be upgrading because I have a Mac :D

Overpriced crap. Must be off your rocker.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

No. I love my Mac :D No chance of Windows taking me back from OSX, but maybe Linux will.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I got my new laptop last night. No I wont be upgrading. I got a laptop just before Vista was released and I didn't upgrade that either. I currently have a cheap ex business Dell running Vista and guess what - that will not be upgraded either.

MacBook Pro. I had never paid any attention to MacBooks in the past as there was no way I could justify the added expense over a laptop. So I had a look at one when I was getting Mrs finbaar to decide on which laptop she wanted. Well, lets be kind and say they are built very well indeed. And lets be nasty and say they are terribly designed. Really really badly designed. Every laptop was better than the MacBook. Why? Well there was this teeny weeny keyboard stuck right under the screen and a massive amount of wasted space in front of it. I know it's nice to rest your wrists when typing but come on, who are whey catering for? Simians?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure how someone can refurbish a licence.

Did wonder what they meant by that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I`ve sent the seller an email asking why its refurbished?

Just got a reply which was fast.

Hello Matthew,

thank you for your interest in our products and services.

MAR (Microsoft Authorized Refurbisher) are not normal recovery as versions of manufacturers (Dell, HP, or FSC) but come directly from Microsoft. The MAR version can be ordered by a Microsoft Authorized Partner. If one of these partners as 1000 PC receives lease returns with the operating system Windows XP Professional, it is able to continue to sell Windows XP Professional operating system or with a new Windows 7 Professional.

All of our operating systems are sold with a valid license.

For further questions I am always at your disposal.

Sincerely / kind regards

Oliver Radke
    Webdesign
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never heard of it before.

I would do a google to see if this refurbish partner thing is legit.