Highlights of the current generation - what's yours?

PorkchopExpressPorkchopExpress Posts: 5,534
Forum Member
In this gen I've had a Wii and a PS3. I haven't played my Wii for about 2 and a half years but I did very much enjoy Wii Sports, Mario Kart Wii and New Super Mario Brothers Wii.

For my PS3 I've played and really enjoyed Pro Evolution Soccer (12 and 13 at least), Uncharted and Uncharted 2 (still to play Uncharted 3.

Other major highlights for me are Heavy Rain and Read Dead Redemption.

Beyond that, I can't think of anything I've really enjoyed and that's pretty poor for what, 6 years. I'm looking forward to Castle of Illusion HD though.

I really hope developers for the next gen focus on gameplay and give more games a bit of heart, but I can't see it. It'll be more military and dystopian FPSs by the bucketload I fear.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    There are many

All 3 PS3 Uncharteds
    The Last of Us
    Dishonoured
    First couple of Assassins Creed
    The Bioshocks
    Killzone multiplayers
    Resistance FoM and 3
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best New IP this generation would be Uncharted and Assassins Creed, I have thoroughly enjoyed each game release in those franchise. Some more than others but even the worst of the franchise has been very enjoyable.

Best Online games this generation are Call of Duty 4 and Battlefield Bad Company 2. CoD4 was awesome at the time with its weapon unlocks and levelling up system, this coupled with the fact the game had a pretty decent community until the game became the 'in thing'. BFBC2 changed everything, the destruction added a huge element to the game and added a massive tactical element to the game (It was no longer safe to hide behind a solid wall). Vehicle play was also awesome and for me Rush was a nice throw back to TFC dustbowl.

Best network game has to be Super Stardust HD, I have played that on and off now since I purchased it in early 2008, it is the only game I have consistently returned to on a regular basis. Others network games I enjoyed would be PixelJunk Eden, Dead Nation, Journey and Flower.

Biggest surprise are The Saboteur and Alpha Protocol, both are very underrated and pretty ruff around the edges but underneath they are really good games.
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    Gaming highlights have been Red Dead Redemption & The Last of Us. Also, my first real taste of online gaming was this gen with Resistancd Fall of Man, so online gaming has been a highlight in changing the way I play my games
  • General LunacyGeneral Lunacy Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The dystopian FPSs are actually my highlights :D

Bioshock Infinite, Deus Ex:HR, Dishonoured.

But also Mass Effect 2, The Last of Us and RDR.
  • jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Batman Games, Uncharted, New Tomb Raider and Portal 2 spring to mind.
  • SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Playing Phantasy Star Universe online, that game had a great community. I have also loved the Sonic games that have come out, it's been great collecting all these classics again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loads.

PS3: uncharted, heavy rain, killzone, the last of us, loads including psn games

360: left 4 Dead is the main one y that really stands out for me. Some others of course along with XBLA games

Multiplat so many but call of duty 4 has the best online memories for me. I was never really good but it was so much fun.
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    The Last of Us
    Modern Warfare 2
    Black Ops
    F1 2010
    Fifa 12
    Sonic 4

that's all I can think of
  • Jen-BJen-B Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deus Ex: HR and XCOM: Enemy Unknown
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me, the rise and rise of FIFA. I always suspected PES would eventually fall in quality after the PS2 days, and we'd be left with average footy games, but FIFA have stepped it up this gen with everything from FIFA 10 onwards being great. PES 6 still remains king though on all consoles.

Other stand outs for me are the Uncharted series, The Last of Us and the long awaited remake of Pokemon HeartGold (we're counting the DS as this gen right?)
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can only think of two games this gen that i would consider highlights.

Portal 2
    The Last of Us

Everything else just felt routine, including the Uncharted series. I was actually shocked when i saw what the same company did with TLOU.
  • MsLurkerMsLurker Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Left 4 Dead - Not only was it fun to play it got me into FPS.
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MsLurker wrote: »
    Left 4 Dead - Not only was it fun to play it got me into FPS.

That's the only platform exclusive game i'm peeved about missing out on. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking at what other have said I cant believe I over looked Red Dead. I really enjoyed that game, they got the horse riding spot on and the hunting was brilliant to the point were I spent way too much of my time in that game hunting.

The free roam online was fun and for me it has set a bar for the kind of thing I am hoping GTA5 will offer in its online free roam, the gang hideouts were great.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another for me is seeing and experiencing how PS3s XMB and PSN and 360s dashboard and Xbox Live evolved over the years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another for me is seeing and experiencing how PS3s XMB and PSN and 360s dashboard and Xbox Live evolved over the years.

Good point, the PS3 main OS is a massive feature packed improvement over the OS I first encounter when I bought my PS3 back in 2007. Does anyone remember the original web store they had :eek:

The 360 has had a few UI updates as well, I remember it started out with the Blades OS.
  • jwballjwball Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    COD4: Modern Warfare Multiplayer
    Bioshock
    The Last of US
    Red Dead Redemption
    GTA IV - Freeroam multiplayer was pretty good.
    Heavy Rain

I'm sure there are others but they are the ones that spring to mind.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    Good point, the PS3 main OS is a massive feature packed improvement over the OS I first encounter when I bought my PS3 back in 2007. Does anyone remember the original web store they had :eek:

The 360 has had a few UI updates as well, I remember it started out with the Blades OS.

Got my first ps3 in Jan 2008. I remember things like no in game messages, no in game XMB, even no rumble in the controllers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    even no rumble in the controllers.

I wish they had stuck to that, I loved the Sixaxis as it was so lightweight.

Rumble is so overrated IMHO.
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My highlights include:

Uncharted 1
    Final Fantasy XIII-2
    Sleeping Dogs
    Heavy Rain (Very special indeed)
    PES 2012
    Ratchet & Clank:Tools of Destruction
  • mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    Mass Effect 1,2,3

EPIC!
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Legend Of Dawn
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Motorstorm was the first game I really got into.

Made some great friends and had a great 2 years out of Warhawk.

Loved LBP although I did become a bit obsessed over it and spent days building levels. Great fun while it lasted though.

Other highlights were RDR, Uncharted, Infamous, Portal 2, Tomb Raider, Heavy Rain and The Last of Us.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Highlights of this generation:

Forza Motorsport 4/Horizon
    Alan Wake
    Zelda Skyward Sword
    Condemned: Criminal Origins
    Halo 4
    Fable II
    State of Decay
    PGR 4
    Left 4 Dead 2
    Bayonetta
    Super Mario Galaxy 2
    Metal Gear Solid 4
    GTA IV
    Mass Effect
  • ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    360 = Halo 4 and so many XBLA games stood out for me. Dust: an Elysian tail being the main one.
    PS3 = Uncharted series/ The last of us and killzone 3.
    PC = Torch light 2