iPad 1

dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
Forum Member
Anyone out there still got an iPad1?

I think mines about 3 years old. I'm unhappy they've stopped updating it. I'm running into loads of errors, sometimes I'm just surfing the net and the browser crashes and goes to the home screen. I open the browser and it all loads up again correctly where I left off but it's still annoying.

Is the iPad1 past it's sell by date? Should I be thinking of a new model?

Comments

• VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Generally it must still work okay? It's still worth money. There still seems to be a good market on eBay for them.
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Voynich wrote: »
    Generally it must still work okay? It's still worth money. There still seems to be a good market on eBay for them.

Yeah generally, just a bit annoying, I want to it to see out 5 years at least before I get new one - I'm just wondering if other original users are finding it a bit old.
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get a few crashes as well. I've avoided updating to the latest OS, didn't want to loose the YouTube app and maps etc.
  • pumazoomapumazooma Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My ipad1 does the same. Fewer new apps are available for it and I get the odd crash but not too many just doing simple things like browsing and mail.

As it was the first of this product line for Apple I think development has been quite quick so the original hardware has been left behind but that progress will start to slow so the lifespan of the hardware will get longer.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose if worst comes to worst there's always jailbreaking. I remember when my iPod 2nd gen become obsolete , I installed whited00r and it gave it a new lease of life. I gave it to my father and he still uses it.
  • zapodzapod Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My iPad 1 has seen daily use for 3 and a half years.

Battery still holds up well and is capable of fairly incredible stuff (GarageBand, Animoog, Airplay to name some) considering its design limitations and it being the first product of its type.

My daughter plays Minecraft pocket edition on it mostly these days, and it does choke on some websites but otherwise it's been solid. A great product.
  • sandman112sandman112 Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    much the same here, random crashes in pretty much every app, games that wont start unless i reboot the device first (thats if the game even works on iPad1 / IOS5.1)

think I'm going to give up once the 'new' iPad arrives soon, never seen any real point in the previous versions just more of the same really, but the random crashes are getting worse now, time to retire the old faithful i think
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    My wife has the original iPad 1 and uses it constantly. I am amazed at how well it still runs 3 generations later.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    My wife has the original iPad 1 and uses it constantly. I am amazed at how well it still runs 3 generations later.

We shouldn't be amazed that a £400+ device still works after just 3 years! :eek:

We just sold our iPad 1, and apart from the fact is was a bit slow running iOS 5.1.1 it was OK. In retrospect I wish I hadn't updated iOS.

However, I was pleased we sold it on eBay for over £160 which will help fund the latest iPad announced next week.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Mine crashes too randomly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Anyone with an iPad 1 that's misbehaving should open up the task switcher (double-press the Home button) and clear all the apps from the list (long hold an app until they jiggle, then red X).

I know Apple said this would never need used but in my experience clearing them all helps a stubborn app load (GarageBand, I'm looking at you).

It's probably to do with each suspended task stealing a tiny bit of memory and collectively they tip the balance in the 1's ability to cope. Much less of an issue on later iPads as they were equipped with more RAM.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    We shouldn't be amazed that a £400+ device still works after just 3 years! :eek:

Totally agree. We live in a throwaway society where the next big thing to have is just around the corner and we feel compelled to pension off perfectly good kit early.

My TV might have a thick bezel and be a few cm(!) thicker than the latest generation, but I intend to keep it until it breaks down. (An then get a man in to repair it :p)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still have my first gen iPad and use it on a regular basis.

It's still perfectly fine for what I use it for - mostly net browsing and comic reading apps and streaming to tv via airplay.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am sure these a system in it :D
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member

Have you tried a factory reset? My iPad was playing up a while back and I just did a reset and reinstalled the apps.

Been perfect since.