BBC Listen Again on Internet Radio - Best One?

Hi there. Having had a now quite antiquated Logik internet radio for a few years, I'm having problems finding a replacement that can deal with the BBC Listen Again feature. I've tried 2 recently that support the iPlayer (the PURE Sensia and Logitech's Squeezebox) but they need my PC to be turned on which it isn't always. I understand it's because newer internet radios use a different technology, but are there are any decent ones anyone knows of still currently available that do support this? It's my main reason for owning an internet radio!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi there. Having had a now quite antiquated Logik internet radio for a few years, I'm having problems finding a replacement that can deal with the BBC Listen Again feature. I've tried 2 recently that support the iPlayer (the PURE Sensia and Logitech's Squeezebox) but they need my PC to be turned on which it isn't always. I understand it's because newer internet radios use a different technology, but are there are any decent ones anyone knows of still currently available that do support this? It's my main reason for owning an internet radio!
    Does the computer have to be on or just your modem/router?

I must admit I don't entirely understand internet radio. I understand radio via analogue or digital signals and over the internet. Internet radio for me would just serve as a kind of kind of speaker system for the home, my computer's on whenever I'm in anyway.

In the spirit of researching something I don't understand I found this:
    http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/Product_range/WiFi_radio/WiFi.asp

On the face of it, it just connects to your wi-fi, so presumably your pc doesn't have to be on.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Revo Pico IR only needs the wireless router to be on and I believe that's how the majority of wi-fi radios work. The main difference now is that some radios still use the Reciva platform and some use the Frontier one, and the way that Listen Again works is slightly different on the two platforms.

On the Frontier all Listen Again stuff is listed under Podcasts once you select the BBC station. Sometimes a show doesn't appear in the list, or it appears under the subheading Arts, Drama, Readings and Spe... (my radio never gets round to displaying the end of that word). It's just not as user-friendly as the Reciva system, but on the plus side this radio is much more reliable than the Reciva-based one I had before, doesn't sit there buffering for ages, and it has a rechargeable battery so it doesn't have to be plugged in all the time.
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi there. Having had a now quite antiquated Logik internet radio for a few years, I'm having problems finding a replacement that can deal with the BBC Listen Again feature. I've tried 2 recently that support the iPlayer (the PURE Sensia and Logitech's Squeezebox) but they need my PC to be turned on which it isn't always.
    Interesting that the website specs don't say a PC is not needed but does say
    http://www.touchmyradio.com/
    Media streaming requires UPnP server or PC/MAC running UPnP server software
    I think the Sensia and Squeezebox only needs a PC or Mac for local UPnP mp3 audio file playing! They have an advantage over other sets in that they can both use a app which gives a graphical standalone wifi BBC iplayer and Absolute player!
    Seems the Sensia has the extra advantage it can be fitted with batteries and be used as a standalone portable DAB radio!

The Squeezebox I saw in a CPW shop did not need a PC to work!
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hanssolo wrote: »
    I think the Sensia and Squeezebox only needs a PC or Mac for local UPnP mp3 audio file playing!

That sounds about right. My Pico IR can play the audio files on my external hard drive - which is where I keep my iTunes library - but the iMac to which it's connected needs to be awake at the time. If I just want to listen to radio via wi-fi the Mac doesn't need to be on.
  • GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you keep your media on a NAS drive that supports UPnP media server, you don't need the pc/mac running.

I use this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Buffalo-LinkStation-MultiMedia-Attached-BitTorrent/dp/B001FNYWFU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1259932653&sr=8-1
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you keep your media on a NAS drive that supports UPnP media server, you don't need the pc/mac running.

I use this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Buffalo-LinkStation-MultiMedia-Attached-BitTorrent/dp/B001FNYWFU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1259932653&sr=8-1
    Cisco are also trying to get into the media server market but the buffeo seems cheaper but not sure about the Built-In BitTorrent Client. can it be switched off!
  • GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hanssolo wrote: »
    Cisco are also trying to get into the media server market but the buffeo seems cheaper but not sure about the Built-In BitTorrent Client. can it be switched off!

yes it can, I've not used it myself as I seem to be having problems with my router not retaining settings when I try to set up port fowarding. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes it can(
    Thanks, looks good as a media store!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/12/05/review_dab_radio_pure_sensia/
    Review comparing the Sensia with the cheaper Squeezebox!
    Seems to say the Sensia is good but a few things need to be sorted with the software!
    Also sometimes the Sensia needs to have a link to a PC to save preset and menu info!
    Verdict
    On paper, the Sensia is a very nice idea but we can't escape the feeling that the we're involved in beta test. Assuming all you are after is an Internet radio and UPnP media streamer with some social network functions, the Logitech Radio is a safer purchase and the best part of a £100 cheaper. If you just want a good DAB/FM radio then one of Pure's less ambitious products such as the Evoke-2S is a better bet
  • Gareth56Gareth56 Posts: 2,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just got the Roberts WM-202 and am working my way around it but from what I've already learnt the BBC Listen Again facility is very good and easy to set up. One thing I am disappointed with is the lack of a Treble & Bass adjustment.
    The ability to play music off my computers is a great feature, so overall I'm satisfied with it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    The Pure Sensia does not need a computer on to use the BBC listen again service. All it requires is a wireless broadband connection. So your network needs to be available or another network you have access to. Registering with the Pure 'thelounge.com' website allows you to upload favourite listen again programme lists to your radio making it easier to find using the touch screen on the radio to find the podcast/listen again service you're interested in. It will, however, list all listen again programmes.

Despite some reports that the Sensia is a work in progress it actually works very well allowing DAB, FM, and Internet radio plus podcasts and listen again services. I've had one for a couple of weeks and its outstanding.

On whether you need a computer or not with the Sensia, you do need a wireless network and would be strange if you had this but no computer to connect it to. However, all the computer does it allow access to the website which allows favourite lists to be set up on the radio.

If you want to stream music or photographs from a computer to the Sensia the computer does have to be on. Pure are talking about developing a service to upload photos to a website which the radio will then download giving LCD picture frame functionality without having a PC on. This is a wonderful convergence device.