Will Virgin have any Customers left after everyone is forced to get a Tivo box?

124»

Comments

• Martin1Martin1 Posts: 8,242
    Forum Member
    At the end of the Q1 TiVo has 677,100 customers.
    At the same time, the appeal of TiVo is driving strong pay TV performance. We added 242,000 more TiVo
    customers during the quarter to reach a total of 677,100 at the quarter-end, which represents 18% of our
    TV customer base. This already exceeds the proportion of our customers on our lowest free tier, which now
    stands at 17% having fallen from 21% a year ago, as we successfully increased the number of paying TV
    customers by 50,600 in the quarter.
    http://www.marketwatch.com/story/virgin-media-first-quarter-2012-results-2012-04-25
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    whats wrong with box its nice and its nicer than the american version of the premier tivo and also i thinks nicer than V+ this is the box for the future
  • Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Derekb108 wrote: »
    whats wrong with box its nice and its nicer than the american version of the premier tivo and also i thinks nicer than V+ this is the box for the future

I prefer the look of the Samsung V+HD Box and the Sky+HD Box than TiVo
  • porkpieporkpie Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had Tivo for nearly a year and its way better than the V+ which itself wiped the floor with Sky HD.
    Although to be fair the main reason I went off the V+ was because of glitches in the software making it do what it wasn't supposed to .

Tivo is great .
    I don't mind paying the £3 sub for a while but I expect it to end within a couple of years because what I like about Tivo is its reliability , not the apps and wishlists and other crap that I don't really care about
  • SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    Tivo is definitely better than V+ overall imo, though I wish there was a way to set a global padding for all recordings and that it didn't automatically delete episodes unless I tell it not to. The picture is better with Tivo, the box is a lot quieter and, once you get used to it, easier to use.

I also wish it working at the moment, but it's not. V+ is fine, but Tivo's having network issues and won't even let me watch what I've recorded previously.
    Forum Member
    that it didn't automatically delete episodes
    Are you talking about the egg timer ? , if so that is badly worded.

It is telling you that if and only if the TiVo is full and needs space on the Hard drive to record new shows then the programme will be deleted to make room.
    Forum Member
    martine93 wrote: »
    Are you talking about the egg timer ? , if so that is badly worded.

It is telling you that if and only if the TiVo is full and needs space on the Hard drive to record new shows then the programme will be deleted to make room.
    I am. I still wish it would leave recordings alone until the box is full and then just warn you like V+ does so I can choose what to delete. And I'm not sure it does wait until it needs space. My box was using about 40% a few weeks ago during a Buffy marathon, and episodes that were already on the box were being deleted automatically - I had to fish them out of the recycling.

One thing I really like about Tivo is the recommendations, which are surprising accurate to my tastes and I've found a couple of new shows to watch.
    Forum Member
    I still wish it would leave recordings alone until the box is full
    It does ( Unless your series link is set to only keep a certain amount of episodes )
    Forum Member
    martine93 wrote: »
    It does ( Unless your series link is set to only keep a certain amount of episodes )
    I know, and the default is 10 (or it is on my box anyway), you to remember to manually change it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simple enough to do isn't it?
    Forum Member
    Doug P wrote: »
    simple enough to do isn't it?
    Was that for me? If it was then... A lot of the time I set recordings remotely through my phone or internet (another great feature btw) and then I forget to go to the box, find the recording and manually change the defaults. All I'm saying is, it should be the other way round - the default should be leave it til I say otherwise. Starting to wish I hadn't mentioned it now ;)
  • nobabydaddynobabydaddy Posts: 2,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was looking at the On Demand and Catch-up features for the first time in a few years. I have to say I am impressed with the huge variety of content available.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tivo is definitely better than V+ overall imo, though I wish there was a way to set a global padding for all recordings and that it didn't automatically delete episodes unless I tell it not to. The picture is better with Tivo, the box is a lot quieter and, once you get used to it, easier to use.

I am. I still wish it would leave recordings alone until the box is full and then just warn you like V+ does so I can choose what to delete. And I'm not sure it does wait until it needs space..

Tivo will not delete your recordings unless it needs the space , even if does say "this will be deleted within 24 hours".

Or when you set a recording you can simply set the box to not delete it until you tell it to.

Your complaints are about a non existent fault although it doesn't make it clear on the planner
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All I'm saying is, it should be the other way round - the default should be leave it til I say otherwise. Starting to wish I hadn't mentioned it now ;)

Except that TiVo is not a video library, it is a pvr for recording TV shows on an on-going basis. It makes perfect sense to default to deleting shows because that suits the biggest majority of users!
    Forum Member
    porkpie wrote: »
    Tivo will not delete your recordings unless it needs the space , even if does say "this will be deleted within 24 hours".
    And yet it did.
    Or when you set a recording you can simply set the box to not delete it until you tell it to.
    As I said, I usually set recording remotely via the Android app or Virgin's website - is there a setting on those I'm missing?
    Your complaints are about a non existent fault although it doesn't make it clear on the planner
    It wasn't a complaint, it was my opinion on a feature I don't like.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

that is what a complaint is, an expression of some sort of dissatisfaction! ;)
  • dannylaudannylau Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had recording for months that haven't been deleted, however if you have the default number of episodes set to 10 and you were going to record another episode from that series (if you already had 10 recorded) it would warn you and delete it, nothing to do with free space
  • OLD BOYOLD BOY Posts: 2,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have to manage your TIVO box in the same way that you should manage your e-mails.

I don't understand the complaints that programmes are deleted when you run out of space. What do you expect it to do? If it didn't, your new recording requests would not be carried out.

Frankly, with 250/500 hours capacity for recordings, you can't be that interested in programmes that have been on there so long that the box deletes them!

If you don't want it to delete them, tell the box not to! But then you'll only moan when something you really wanted to record isn't on there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And yet it did.

As I said, I usually set recording remotely via the Android app or Virgin's website - is there a setting on those I'm missing?

If it deleted the recording it must have needed the space (unless it was on Suggestions when it might get deleted)

The settings to change things are only on the box itself.
    Setting via the website or app are not really supposed to be how you set everything .

So you were complaining then.