Nielsen Agrees to Expand Definition of TV Viewing

Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
Forum Member
✭✭✭
In a nutshell, the U.S. Nielsen rating system will soon count viewers who watch TV shows on their video game consoles (PS3 & 360), iPads, and broadband (I'm assuming this means PC).

This is very good news because it may give struggling TV shows a better chance to survive the cutthroat ratings war. It will also give TV networks more accurate information about who, where and what viewers are watching. The new changes are expected to start in September 2013. Currently, the ratings in the U.S. are determined by "at-home" TV viewers and (in a growing trend) DVR owners.

LINK

Comments

• Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised they don't already but great news indeed. As a far of scifi/fantasy shows that can often suffer in the ratings I think these will benefit as these shows often are more likely to have fans watch on 'catch up' it always seems to me.
  • Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sniffle774 wrote: »
    I'm surprised they don't already but great news indeed. As a far of scifi/fantasy shows that can often suffer in the ratings I think these will benefit as these shows often are more likely to have fans watch on 'catch up' it always seems to me.

Oh definitely. I'm in the U.S. and I rarely watch TV shows on the night they first air. I don't have the time. I use the "On Demand" channel among other things on the weekends to catch up on new episodes. The often ignored scifi/fantasy genre will probably benefit the most under the new system.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    As nice as this is, will advertisers not demand a measure which only includes the original commercial broadcast and people who watch the commercials (aka the current C3 measure)?

I can't see it doing anything, but reducing helpful available information and giving marketing departments something to boast about. Advertisers will probably be more cautious about paying for shows if they don't know how many people are likely to be watching the actual telecast, so unless networks start mirroring the broadcast ads online, nothing will change (you just won't get see the measure advertisers use)...
  • tamibecketttamibeckett Posts: 5,261
    Forum Member
    As nice as this is, will advertisers not demand a measure which only includes the original commercial broadcast and people who watch the commercials (aka the current C3 measure)?

I can't see it doing anything, but reducing helpful available information and giving marketing departments something to boast about. Advertisers will probably be more cautious about paying for shows if they don't know how many people are likely to be watching the actual telecast, so unless networks start mirroring the broadcast ads online, nothing will change (you just won't get see the measure advertisers use)...

Pretty much this. What advertisers want, the network will follow.