Doc Martin (Part 14 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=Adelie Manchot;63505381I found this article, it is from 2011. Had not seen it before so figured I would post it in case other folks hadn't-Cornwall calling for Martin Clunes as Doc Martin returns it is a cached copy-if you try the regular link you get an internal server error.[/QUOTE]

Nice article Adelie - I had not seen that one. Interesting that he bought a horse in Cornwall to ride on his days off. I suspect after the filming this one went back to the farm to live with the rest of the menagerie.

I was just reading an article this morning that he is narrating a special about dogs for ITV. No mention of when it will be broadcast.

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/commissioning/clunes-to-narrate-itv-doc-about-mans-best-friend/5049975.article
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    I changed mine to local time
    > User CP at the top of the forum page
    > user options
    and choose what time you want.

Under FAQ:
    Digital Spy is set to GMT from the last Sunday in October through the last Sunday in March, and BST for the remaining period. This global setting is shown on our news site and to unregistered members of our forums. Registered users must specify their own timezone and daylight saving options in the User CP. Click User CP, then Edit Options to review these settings. If auto-detection of DST does not work on your computer, please manually select a DST option.

Thanks for the info - thought that might be the case, not such a big deal that I would have looked it up, just happened to notice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    Nice article Adelie - I had not seen that one. Interesting that he bought a horse in Cornwall to ride on his days off. I suspect after the filming this one went back to the farm to live with the rest of the menagerie.

I was just reading an article this morning that he is narrating a special about dogs for ITV. No mention of when it will be broadcast.

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/commissioning/clunes-to-narrate-itv-doc-about-mans-best-friend/5049975.article

Do you think he bought one or brought one from the farm? Either roiled be extravagant but with 14 at home I'd have thought "brought"? But ism am parsimonious and don't think like a STAR. :D
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched Doc Martin and the Legend of the Cloutie last night. Not anywhere near the standard of "Doc Martin" or even the first Doc Martin movie.

One question for those who have seen it and have access to it again: i wondered if Charlie Blake's kitchen was the same set --- only a whole lot messier --as Aunt Joans' kitchen. There are the same electrical boxes high up on the kitchen wall in both kitchens -- or is that a regular feature in houses of this age?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    I was digging around The Free Library and found these articles that I had not seen before so I figured I'd pass the links on in case others hadn't seen them.

Link
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    I hate to be a downer concerning MC, but in William & Mary S3, E5 where he sings a bit of the Pearl Fishers Duet with Billy Two-Heads (which is from Bizet's opera The Pearl Fishers,) towards the end of the piece when the singing becomes more intense, a third person comes in to sing along with MC to give it the strength it needs. I know MC is a decent singer but opera is not in his repertoire. It sounds like someone who can sing in his key but is operatic trained.

As to ITV never taking an active role in promoting the DM series as it should, my belief is that the future filming of this great series is if MC, PB and BP et al. want to continue and of course, the meeting of the minds as to up-front costs to film another series. I hope ITV realizes now with DM and Downton Abbey series coming from them, they are now on the world stage. With regard to DA, there is American funding involved, so that's different.

I'm not looking to be flamed, but gosh, I'm surprised reading the high opinions on MC's voice. I always found it to be very average as a singing voice and certainly nothing really THAT good. I think his voice as a speaker and documentary narrative, so smooth and melodious, is much better than his voice as a singer. I'd rather listen to him read me a story to bed, than sing to me! :) Again, no intent to upset anyone!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    I'm not looking to be flamed, but gosh, I'm surprised reading the high opinions on MC's voice. I always found it to be very average as a singing voice and certainly nothing really THAT good. I think his voice as a speaker and documentary narrative, so smooth and melodious, is much better than his voice as a singer. I'd rather listen to him read me a story to bed, than sing to me! :) Again, no intent to upset anyone!

No offence taken, no indeed

Whilst I love everything MC does, an operatic tenor he is not. I have just listened to Series 3 Episode 5 of W & M again and IMHO he and Billy Two-Hats are def singing along to a tape/CD - maybe Bryn Terfel & Andreas Boccelli...?
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

mmDerdekea: Would you settle for the latest issues of the MHRA and the New England Journal of Medicine?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New chapter of Target now up: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8247969/1/Target
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mmDerdekea: Would you settle for the latest issues of the MHRA and the New England Journal of Medicine?

What red-blooded female wouldn't ?

Sigh...............:cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Admirer
    Did you think Louisa acted a little "flirtatious" when asking Martin to PC Penhale's party? I don't think I've seen Louisa act quite like that before. Amazing what the threat of another woman will do. :rolleyes:
    It's so funny when Louisa looks in the mirror before she goes in to see Martin. Most people will look at their hair, make-up, or even their teeth. But Louisa sticks out her tongue. Hilarious!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    NewPark wrote: »
    I watched Doc Martin and the Legend of the Cloutie last night. Not anywhere near the standard of "Doc Martin" or even the first Doc Martin movie.

One question for those who have seen it and have access to it again: i wondered if Charlie Blake's kitchen was the same set --- only a whole lot messier --as Aunt Joans' kitchen. There are the same electrical boxes high up on the kitchen wall in both kitchens -- or is that a regular feature in houses of this age?

New Park - I certainly thought it was the same place also. I think there is a shot of him pulling up outside and it is Aunt Joan's place.

And the house that he wants to buy I think is the Flint place from Blood is Thicker, S2E3 - the two brothers whose father thinks he is their mother.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    The Admirer
    Did you think Louisa acted a little "flirtatious" when asking Martin to PC Penhale's party? I don't think I've seen Louisa act quite like that before. Amazing what the threat of another woman will do. :rolleyes:
    It's so funny when Louisa looks in the mirror before she goes in to see Martin. Most people will look at their hair, make-up, or even their teeth. But Louisa sticks out her tongue. Hilarious!

s1 e1 when she's dressed as a pirate she's flirtatious too. Lovely. She certainly is stunning. I like the freckles and minimal make up look.
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was digging around The Free Library and found these articles that I had not seen before so I figured I'd pass the links on in case others hadn't seen them.

Link

Thanks so much, Adelie. Tons of stuff I haven't seen yet. What a great resource.
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blue-Eyes wrote: »
    No offence taken, no indeed

Whilst I love everything MC does, an operatic tenor he is not. I have just listened to Series 3 Episode 5 of W & M again and IMHO he and Billy Two-Hats are def singing along to a tape/CD - maybe Bryn Terfel & Andreas Boccelli...?

I re-watched that episode again today too after all the discussion. Cute scene with William & Thomas at the funeral parlor. And I think I saw just a bit of Gary from MBB when he and Billy were starting to learn the duet. :D

But I have an idea how to resolve this! When our lucky travelers are in Port Isaac this summer, when you get your chance to talk to Martin, what a great conversation starter! (in place of "Duh, duh, duh" which is probably all that would come out of MY mouth.)

"Martin, can you settle an argument that has taken place on an online Doc Martin forum? Was that just you and the actor playing Billy singing The Pearl Fishers Duet on William & Mary? I, of course, said that it was all you because you have such a lovely voice, but there were a few who insisted you must have had help."

I'll bet that would earn you a hug and maybe a kiss on the cheek. And perhaps even the answer!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    I re-watched that episode again today too after all the discussion. Cute scene with William & Thomas at the funeral parlor. And I think I saw just a bit of Gary from MBB when he and Billy were starting to learn the duet. :D

But I have an idea how to resolve this! When our lucky travelers are in Port Isaac this summer, when you get your chance to talk to Martin, what a great conversation starter! (in place of "Duh, duh, duh" which is probably all that would come out of MY mouth.)

"Martin, can you settle an argument that has taken place on an online Doc Martin forum? Was that just you and the actor playing Billy singing The Pearl Fishers Duet on William & Mary? I, of course, said that it was all you because you have such a lovely voice, but there were a few who insisted you must have had help."

I'll bet that would earn you a hug and maybe a kiss on the cheek. And perhaps even the answer!

I know that MC has stated that he does all his stunts and has no stand-in. Reference to this discussion, could he have dubbed his voice over and over on the same track to give it the richness of an operatic voice? I was thinking of the Les Paul and Mary Ford records of many years ago. Mary Ford dubbed her voice over and over on the same piece to give it "that sound". No, on re-reading this post, I don't think so, it had to have been another voice joining in with MC who had a trained operatic voice. So he could say he sang it (with the help of another voice unbeknownst to us).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I noticed in tonights tv listings that WLIW21 (pbs Long Island station in NY-Metro area) that they are starting a new British series DCI Banks. "Pilot - Aftermath" Policeman's murder. I looked up the information on this series and it states that it began in 2010 and Carolyn Catz just did 6 episodes in 2012. I don't think she will be in this one if they are starting from the the first episode.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed in tonights tv listings that WLIW21 (pbs Long Island station in NY-Metro area) that they are starting a new British series DCI Banks. "Pilot - Aftermath" Policeman's murder. I looked up the information on this series and it states that it began in 2010 and Carolyn Catz just did 6 episodes in 2012. I don't think she will be in this one if they are starting from the the first episode.

Nit-picking but it's Caroline not Carolyn.
    No, Caroline wasn't in the first series of DCI Banks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    madmother wrote: »
    Nit-picking but it's Caroline not Carolyn.
    No, Caroline wasn't in the first series of DCI Banks.

I can't believe I made that mistake! Apologies
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe I made that mistake! Apologies

No worries. :):)
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Absolutely! Especially if I was encased by pillows on the sofa, and first he gently poked my stomach, and then showed me the pictures of the authors. LOL. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know that MC has stated that he does all his stunts and has no stand-in. Reference to this discussion, could he have dubbed his voice over and over on the same track to give it the richness of an operatic voice? I was thinking of the Les Paul and Mary Ford records of many years ago. Mary Ford dubbed her voice over and over on the same piece to give it "that sound". No, on re-reading this post, I don't think so, it had to have been another voice joining in with MC who had a trained operatic voice. So he could say he sang it (with the help of another voice unbeknownst to us).

Maybe he does all his own stunts on Doc Martin, however, during the bicycle scene when he's trying to catch up to Kathy in "Good-bye Mr. Chips," I don't think that was Martin Clunes. :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For a good explanation on eye color see this link. Read the parts about Grey and Hazel eyes for how the scattering of light affects the appearance of the color of they eye.

I have Hazel eyes and I can change what color they appear to be by taking the lighting that will exist at where I am going (sunny day/cloudy day/work/restaurant/bar/ballroom) which determines not only pupil size but the temperature of the light into account and use a combination of eye shadow/eye liner/mascara and the color of my clothing (taking my skin tone into account while doing all this) to achieve the desired effect. I can make my eyes appear to be a luminous shade of green, a very dark green, brown or amber depending on my choices.

Thanks Adelie, for the link to different eye colors. From what I could understand, it's quite fascinating! Now, if some of us can get close enough to MC to "just trying to determine the color of your eyes, mate!" that would be heaven. :cool::)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    Thanks Adelie, for the link to different eye colors. From what I could understand, it's quite fascinating! Now, if some of us can get close enough to MC to "just trying to determine the color of your eyes, mate!" that would be heaven. :cool::)

I will be at Buckham Fair in August; I volunteer to take one for the team. I was originally going to ask what his eye color is according to his driver's license (assuming they print that on British licenses?), but in light of recent unfortunate events, that may be a bit insensitive....;):p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member

He could read the phone book and that would be perfectly fine by me....;)
This discussion has been closed.