Amish : Out of Order

louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This is shown on the national geographic channel and is so revealingly honest. Told candidly from the viewpoint of Mose Gingrich, an ex amish who left the religion, it examines his role as a mentor and care giver for those young people who, like he did, want to leave the order, and the hurdles they will need to overcome, like being cast aside by their family. They are a bit like Jehovah Witnesses, in the sense that they help each other; from young boys, the males are taught carpentry, building skills etc., so they will be self sufficient. They can then use these skills to help each other out. Another element of the show centred on an 'english girl' (why she referred to herself as english when she was, in fact, american, I don't know; it was opposed to being amish, I suppose.) who had decided she wanted to join the amish. Gingrich wasn't sure she knew what she was getting into and it was arranged for her to spend time with an amish spinster and her parents, after which she was convinced she was making the correct decision. From what I gathered, she was lacking something emotionally - her mother had a new partner and her relationship with her daughter was not a fulfilling one. Many young girls had left the amish, because they were told what to believe, what to do and they were forced to live quite a restrictive life. Like most religions, there are good and bad aspects, but I think members of the amish feel a certain safety, and they view being amish as a refuge, and that is sad because, fundamentally, they are able to consider it as a safety net simply because it does not allow them to explore life and experience situations which the amish deem to be harmful. Is this a good thing? Of course avoiding danger can only be good for the individual, but the amish exceeds that; it is an inhibitive organisation which does not permit it's members to have any opinions which are not recognised by the amish. How can a parent ignore a child just because their beliefs differ? Who are they to tell their children what to believe? Gingrich, although he has seemingly managed to make a new life for himself and his family, yearns for the closeness he once had with his family; now his life is devoid of all emotional attachment to them, through their choice, but knows the chance of re-establishing a connection with them is extremely unlikely.
It is so fascinating to examine the beliefs and ethics of religions other than our own and, on this level, this documentary does not disappoint. I watch every enthralling episode, as should anyone who has an innate desire to expand one's learning and develop one's mind by absorbing knowledge.

Comments

• ReadyOneReadyOne Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    fyi ... to the Amish, anyone who is not Amish is English. I'm not sure of the origin of that, but perhaps it's based on the language spoken. The Amish speak Pennsylvania Dutch amongst themselves (A German-like language), but they speak English with outsiders. (I live in an area with a lot of Amish people.)