Archos announce three android smartphones...

TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,411
Forum Member
... Tablet maker Archos recently announced a new line of Android-based smartphones featuring a slim design, Qualcomm processor, an IPS display and two SIM slots to allow customers to use the phone with two different carriers seamlessly. All of the new handsets will ship unlocked out of the box and support 3G only, we’re told. The handsets in question include the Archos 35 Carbon, Archos 50 Platinum and Archos 53 Platinum, retailing for $99.99, $219.99 and $249.99, respectively...The handset will ship standard with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich.
http://www.techspot.com/news/52295-archos-announces-three-android-based-smartphones.html

Archos are best known as makers of tablets for the leisure market where they were pioneers. They are late entrants to the mobile phone market so they might struggle to gain market share.

Pictures here http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/gallery/news/1299253/archos-35-carbon-50-platinum-and-53-platinum-smartphones-announced and another report here http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/smartphones/1299253/archos-35-carbon-50-platinum-and-53-platinum-smartphones-announced

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume the term " support 3G only" is meant to indicate the lack of 4G rather than both sim slots having 3G capability, as this is the only thing that would these apart from a dual sim China phone. Certainly the pics I found didn't show the 2nd sim with 3G bars.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Although you may have more chance of an os upgrade in the future
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    BT@home wrote: »
    I assume the term " support 3G only" is meant to indicate the lack of 4G rather than both sim slots having 3G capability, as this is the only thing that would these apart from a dual sim China phone. Certainly the pics I found didn't show the 2nd sim with 3G bars.

Nope, the processor and radio these phones use are inferior to the ones made by Mediatek in taiwan.

swordman wrote: »
    Although you may have more chance of an os upgrade in the future

Not true, a lot of Chinese phones that came with ICS now run jellybean.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    I had a star phone for a year never got upgraded in that time although may not be true for all I suppose.
    Forum Member
    swordman wrote: »
    I had a star phone for a year never got upgraded in that time although may not be true for all I suppose.

You won't get OTA updates on these phones.

The manufacturer releases them online and then you have to download and manually flash the update to the phone.

The archos will have the advantage of updating via OTA, but i dont see them doing that.
  • The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Might get one, they seem to have better specs and are cheaper than the Sony Xperia L i was waiting for
    Forum Member
    Might get one, they seem to have better specs and are cheaper than the Sony Xperia L i was waiting for

So the uk price for that phone was £320. You know it's a galaxy S2 clone. You can buy the Galaxy S3 for that price. The Nexus 4 is cheaper as well.
  • Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    You won't get OTA updates on these phones.

The manufacturer releases them online and then you have to download and manually flash the update to the phone.

The archos will have the advantage of updating via OTA, but i dont see them doing that.

I can't see Archos doing that either. They're terrible with regards to updates.
  • PriliclaPrilicla Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Archos UK support is no more and they ended email enquires and the main telephone line. So have they shut down ?
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,411
    Forum Member
    Prilicla wrote: »
    Archos UK support is no more and they ended email enquires and the main telephone line. So have they shut down ?

They're still going but they're using this webpage: http://www.archos.com/store/?country=gb&lang=en
  • JustincoxJustincox Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Yes, all these smartphones are enabled with great features. These phones has a slim design, Qualcomm processor, an IPS display and two SIM slots to allow customers to use the phone with two different carriers seamlessly.
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i expect to see then on bid.tv/pricedrop.tv with the rest of their tat shortly.