The Secret Life of the Pub

malaikahmalaikah Posts: 20,010
Forum Member
✭✭✭
:eek:

Well I was right - I suspected it all along.

They just talk shit as usual!

And what's with the music??!

Comments

• Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't believe I am watching this rubbish. It's not like this down our pub. This is scripted tommyrot.
  • malaikahmalaikah Posts: 20,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe I am watching this rubbish.

I can't believe someone made it !!
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On paper this should be good but this is terrible, why are they just focusing on the men at the pub, I've never seen a pub like this either
  • grumpyoldjoegrumpyoldjoe Posts: 832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    malaikah wrote: »
    I can't believe someone made it !!

Yep, it is shit
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is puerile
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Well I'm giggling, not sure what others were expecting from this, it's blokes sitting around drinking and bunnying.

Edit: I'm well behind though on timeshift, but no doubt I won't have problem with the program and will catch the odd giggle.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The advert that is on at the moment - as kids we used to sing to that tune:

Oompah Ooompah
    Stick it up your jumper
    Scratch your pr**k and your bollocks too

Come to think of it those samples in the pub, I wouldn't put it past them singing it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No idea why they chose the East End of London, the pubs full of hipsters and city boys
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I'm giggling, not sure what others were expecting from this, it's blokes sitting around drinking and bunnying.

Realism, not scripted stuff which is clearly what this is.
  • LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »
    No idea why they chose the East End of London, the pubs full of hipsters and city boys

Probably because TV is full of them too.

I tuned in for a few minutes and... it's cringey. They're trying to do Gogglebox on location and it doesn't work -- the setting is distracting, the people they've chosen are irritating to watch, and it feels incredibly fake. And really, who cares what a bunch of blokes in a pub witter on about? At least with Gogglebox there's the shared experience of watching a TV show you might have seen yourself during the week. Here, there isn't as much to relate to, and drunk people are so obnoxious to watch when sober...

I only watched a few mins though, so the rest of it might have been the start of a new smash-hit in voyeurism telly. Who knows.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lenitive wrote: »
    Probably because TV is full of them too.

I tuned in for a few minutes and... it's cringey. They're trying to do Gogglebox on location and it doesn't work -- the setting is distracting, the people they've chosen are irritating to watch, and it feels incredibly fake. And really, who cares what a bunch of blokes in a pub witter on about? At least with Gogglebox there's the shared experience of watching a TV show you might have seen yourself during the week. Here, there isn't as much to relate to, and drunk people are so obnoxious to watch when sober...

I only watched a few mins though, so the rest of it might have been the start of a new smash-hit in voyeurism telly. Who knows.

Yeah I think these people have clearly been vetted, they should have picked a northern town centre pub during the day with all the regulars that's where the entertainment is
  • Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely felt a bit fake and forced. I can't imagine East End pubs are actually like that.
    Forum Member
    Sifter22 wrote: »
    Definitely felt a bit fake and forced. I can't imagine East End pubs are actually like that.

What do you think 'East End' pubs are like then?
    East London big place, fair number of pubs and like pubs in most places can change character depending on what time of day or day of the week you're in there.
    That said they were probably picked from other places and told to go there drinking or drawn in off the street, by the production team.
    Some of the conversations/people could have come from pubs I know.

Pretty sure I know that pub, but I haven't been in there for 20+ years, it's on the Island, I think.
  • AJonesSCFCAJonesSCFC Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    I was intrigued by the premise of this show as I love Gogglebox and going to the pub is one my favourite pastimes, but it sounds disappointing. I haven't watched it yet but may still give it a go, it may have been better if they had gone to lot's of different pubs around the country and showed bits from all of them spliced together rather than focus on one pub or clientele in particular.

Did anyone else see Quiz Nights which was on Sky One recently, filming different pub quiz teams taking part in the same quiz simultaneously essentially? Haven't seen any talk of it on here but it was actually quite good I thought, unlike this show it seems!
  • coldcomfortcoldcomfort Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a Lord Nelson in Scarborough and the punters were doing karaoke, staggering about and being so unintentionally funny, I was pissing myself laughing. I left before I got my head kicked in for doing it.
  • able1able1 Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely, at 40+, these unhealthy beergutted cretin's level of conversation has evolved beyond that of 14 year old lads in the playground.

Evidently not.

Toecurlingly embarrassing. Utter tripe.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't see this but the critics in the paper said it looked scripted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What do you think 'East End' pubs are like then?
    East London big place, fair number of pubs and like pubs in most places can change character depending on what time of day or day of the week you're in there.
    That said they were probably picked from other places and told to go there drinking or drawn in off the street, by the production team.
    Some of the conversations/people could have come from pubs I know.

Pretty sure I know that pub, but I haven't been in there for 20+ years, it's on the Island, I think.

I don't believe they they'd all stay in one pub the whole night as if that's the best boozer in the East End or something. Probably got their drinks paid for.
  • coldcomfortcoldcomfort Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    I didn't see this but the critics in the paper said it looked scripted.

Seemed scripted to me. Towards the end, they'd gone down the route of man hugs and giving it the "I f*cking love you, you're me best mate" crap. I even put the subs on as I couldn't understand some of their babbling.
    Forum Member
    I don't believe they they'd all stay in one pub the whole night as if that's the best boozer in the East End or something. Probably got their drinks paid for.

Gawd knows what you think pubs are like in London or East London then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gawd knows what you think pubs are like in London or East London then.

I've been in a good few in London. Not the East End though.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been in a good few in London. Not the East End though.

Are there any pubs left in the East End, isn't it now a Muslim area.?
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone SERIOUSLY believe this was "real". It was obviously scripted, like all the Towie like shows. This was not reality tv. Im stunned anyone could be nieve enough to believe it.
  • Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it was rude when that guy said why is brian blessed talking to the homepride guy
    but then the "homepride" guy turned out to be a horrible person
    in reality guys in pubs are much more laid back then this and they know to mind their own business
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    Are there any pubs left in the East End, isn't it now a Muslim area.?

How am I meant to know?