Who should represent the UK next year?

Comments

• cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Cliff Richard, or Lulu.

Failing that, Wagner, complete witrh backing singers who actualy fo all the singers. Now there's an idea.

How about a supergroup of Cliff Richard, Lulu, Wagner, The Hump and Sandie Shaw? :D
  • callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't laugh.......

Robbie.

He's not the best singer in the world, but he can really steal the show. Give him a good song and he'd be guaranteed a top 3 place
  • Salford_WhoSalford_Who Posts: 4,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Nobody's who's been before

2. Someone who can sing - let's do the same process that found Jade in 2009, and don't put joke acts for the sake of entertainment.

3. Get a contemporary song that has an instant catch (you only get to hear it once!)
  • RFSRFS Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member

2. Someone who can sing - let's do the same process that found Jade in 2009, and don't put joke acts for the sake of entertainment.

3. Get a contemporary song that has an instant catch (you only get to hear it once!)

Can I add - don't leave it to the last minute... plan early and dare I say it, even maybe collaborate with European song writers to see what is pushing buttons across Europe commercially?
  • callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Actually, you don't, according to Graham Norton, the winning song had been number one in a few countries for the past few weeks
  • imarshimarsh Posts: 275
    Forum Member
    If we seriously believe this is a contest about music then the consensus seems to be for an act that can perform live. So step one, get out and look at the festival performances this summer and see can play live.

Another theme seems to be don't use a mega star (Coldplay, Adele etc) because they won't do it. So get a band/artist who hasn't made the big time in terms of airplay on national radio etc.

My suggestion would be for a band such as The Blackout or Bring Me the Horizon (use youtube if you don't know these bands). They would certainly liven the place up, and it would be great fun if they managed to get the audience to form a mosh pit.
    Forum Member
    While watching music channels earlier I was thinking - what about Ed Sheeran or Emeli Sande?
  • essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,206
    Forum Member
    I bet even if Sir Paul McCartney was our entry next year he would struggle
  • EbealeEbeale Posts: 2,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get calvin harris to produce the song.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    callmediva wrote: »
    Actually, you don't, according to Graham Norton, the winning song had been number one in a few countries for the past few weeks

That, compared with the release of Humpaduck's song, which was under a cloud of nobody even knowing it was out, and was only done initially on Youtube.

I think the simple fact of the matter is, we're all dreaming of current groups and artists to represent us, when in fact the contest is portrayed in such a poor light in the UK industry that no-one wants to touch it. It's almost seen as a career killer.

The Beeb only have themselves to blame really, they backed themselves into a corner by sending the likes of Scooch and Daz Sampson, and have proceeded to shoot themselves in the foot by then sending the likes of Humpaduck.

Blue was moderately successful; although I thought the song oozed cheese from the speakers, it shows there's a core formula that the BBC could latch onto and progress with.

Not by wheeling out someone who on the night looked like a re-animated corpse.
  • TheAuburnEnigmaTheAuburnEnigma Posts: 17,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do like the suggestion of A1 - they were pretty good back in the day.

Christian has had success in his native Norway (the band had actually tried to compete for Norway in 2010 and came second in their national competition), Mark has written songs for a fair few people and we know they can all sing.

I think the way to go forward is either pick someone who can promote themselves well (Jade, Blue) or someone who has a link to another country (see Cyprus entry of Jon Lilygreen & The Islanders where around 3/5 of them were British) where we can get a fair few points. A1 I reckon would do well in Eurovision.
  • RFSRFS Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    Serif wrote: »
    That, compared with the release of Humpaduck's song, which was under a cloud of nobody even knowing it was out, and was only done initially on Youtube.

I think the simple fact of the matter is, we're all dreaming of current groups and artists to represent us, when in fact the contest is portrayed in such a poor light in the UK industry that no-one wants to touch it. It's almost seen as a career killer.

The Beeb only have themselves to blame really, they backed themselves into a corner by sending the likes of Scooch and Daz Sampson, and have proceeded to shoot themselves in the foot by then sending the likes of Humpaduck.

Blue was moderately successful; although I thought the song oozed cheese from the speakers, it shows there's a core formula that the BBC could latch onto and progress with.

Not by wheeling out someone who on the night looked like a re-animated corpse.

I know I mocked the repetitiveness of My Time, Tea Time, What's the Time - but I think ALW/DW stumbled upn the formula of something repetitive that non-English speaking people could latch on to fairly quickly on hearing.

To be fair to blue, I Can was the same - catchy chorus (and no goddamn key change!)

I just got annoyed that BBC left it sooooo late - and then when the news that they turned down contemporary artists (singers AND songwriters) down...

Betty Boo (Alison Clarkson) turned to song writing and more recently has collaborated with Sophie Ellis-Bextor (another name touted around) ... there are good song writers and people holding a note out there.

Although knowing our luck Jemma-Jemini would probably want another chance.
    Forum Member
    Ebeale wrote: »
    Get calvin harris to produce the song.

That's a good idea.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still think in a few years' time when the obsession with "talent" shows diminishes and the gravy train dries up Tom Jones will need something to do - that's the time to nab him. :)
  • fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    Leona Lewis
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sandie Shaw doing her new version (2007) of Puppet On A String. How could it fail ?
  • Super Roux!Super Roux! Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nicola Roberts - She has a great voice, although her solo career hasn't really blasted off and been a major success commercially, she could benefit from the publicity mostly. She hasn't got much to lose. Some may argue credibility, but I would trust the fans who bought her first album would remain loyal, while she would have more of a chance to gain more, granted she had a good song that allowed her to demonstrate her amazing vocals. For instance, I could imagine "Gladiator" or "Cinderella's Eyes" from her album perhaps doing quite well.
  • KozmicBluesKozmicBlues Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would love Sophie Ellis-Bextor to do it, but she's notoriously lazy so would probably sleep in and miss the flight.

What about The Darkness? I'm not a big fan, but I think they'd be fun...

The BBC need to go with someone relatively contemporary who, for whatever reason, saw their last couple of songs flop, and so wouldn't mind a boost, any boost.
    Forum Member
    What about Alexandra Burke?
  • shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    Sam Buttery?
  • SwanGirlSwanGirl Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hope that Hurts get to represent us next year. I really think that they would have every chance of winning it for us but I did think that they would be chosen this year as they made it clear that they were up for doing it but instead the Beeb decided to go with someone who is well past his best.

The voting is political but with the right song it is NOT impossible for us to win again! Jade came 5th so that proves that we are not hated, if we were surely we would just be bottom of the pile year after year but that isn't the case at all.

The BBC using the excuse that we were on first to justify such a poor showing is just stupid. The song was outdated and boring, The Hump's Jury performance was absolutely terrible and it was only slightly better on the night. Okay, there were other songs that weren't exactly fantastic, I thought Turkey were awful but the song was catchy and something that was immediately a crowd favourite despite the poor singing.

Please Beeb, do the right thing this year and pick Hurts!
  • Gunner95Gunner95 Posts: 1,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frankie and the Heartstrings?
  • stairwaystairway Posts: 1,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think:

The Saturdays
    Pixie Lott
    Jessie J
    Sophie Ellis-Bextor
    Katy B
    Little Boots
    Girls Aloud (if they reform)

should represent the UK next year. With the right song I could see these acts doing well. What does anyone else think?

It doesn't matter who you pick, we won't win it again
    Forum Member
    stairway wrote: »
    It doesn't matter who you pick, we won't win it again

Even with a big name?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    i hope its HURTS but ive given up caring what we send now , and not going to even bothered getting into the speculation next year