Samsung Galaxy S4 - 30 percent of phones have a faulty battery in them!!

pericompericom Posts: 6,021
Forum Member
Quote from article:

"Sources are claiming that as many as 30 percent of Galaxy S4 units that have been sold are experiencing batteries that won’t hold a charge, and in some cases even swelling. The issue seems to be affecting owners in Germany and at the time of writing it isn’t known if the problem is more widespread."

http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2013/10/12/samsung-galaxy-s4-battery-problem-hitting-users/

Thats a very high number of faulty units if the figures are correct. :eek: :eek:

I know this is what happened to my unit! I just bought an Anker battery (didn't want to jump though hoops with Samsungs support).

Comments

• GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess that advantage here is that the S4 has a user replaceable battery unlike many other handsets. It's certainly not good news though but 30% seems rather high! I wonder how many people here have had the issue.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seeing as the phone has been out a long time now and this is the first time any of us have really read or seen anything on forums or tech blogs I'm going to take this with a pinch of salt.
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    Hmmm, the article says, "sources are claiming..." Which is poor journalism (something that seems to be happening more and more in the media (all types) - probably to sensationalise the story). Either name your sources, or dont quote them. The source could be some homeless tramp they saw on the street. They gave him a fiver, and told him to say, 30% of batteries on the S4 are faulty.

If however the story is true, it is quite a worrying issue.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    This has happened to me after 3 weeks of having the S4 I phone up Samsung and they sent me a replacement battery straight away. The battery had bulged and looked like it was going to explode.

While they were sending me the replacement I got 2 of the Anker batteries.

Didn't realise so many have been affected, 30% is alot.
  • daclickdaclick Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw a mates with a swelled battery and dying quickly but I blamed the barclays pay tag or whatever it is! :/
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daclick wrote: »
    Saw a mates with a swelled battery and dying quickly but I blamed the barclays pay tag or whatever it is! :/

An NFC tag can't cause a lithium battery to fail.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Galaxy S4 is having problems after only six months."

Charging once per day means many a phone battery is dead in 12 months.
    Removing battery access is a trick to make more dosh off you.

Samsung buyers are lucky considering the official batteries are less than £10, and replaceable by any old fool.
    There is even a triple capacity quality brand one available.
  • artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Call up Samsung. There is a known problem with batteries on the S4.

I have just called them this afternoon. They were very helpful and told me they are sending me a new one within 14 days for free.

They will need a copy (photo or scan) of your invoice and the IMEI and Serial number of your S4.

Call them on 0330 726 07864

News link here.
    http://www.technobuffalo.com/2013/10/16/samsung-replacing-swollen-galaxy-s4-batteries/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    This problem has been driving me nuts for the last few days, plus the need to recharge at least once a day. I had already ordered a 7500 mAh battery (should arrive in the next two days) then came across this topic. I can well believe the 30% figure! My battery feels slightly convex.

Having seen videos on Youtube of laptops bursting into flames, I find this issue just a little concerning!! :eek:
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Seeing as the phone has been out a long time now and this is the first time any of us have really read or seen anything on forums or tech blogs I'm going to take this with a pinch of salt.

If you do not look at the battery all you know is that your S4 is very power hungry. And it takes time to develop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite likely the used the same supplier as with that Apple battery.
    A lot less hassle to just receive a new battery here though.

What is very iffy about both of them is that I think they left everyone in the dark and not issued serial numbers of the dodgy ones.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Quite likely the used the same supplier as with that Apple battery.
    A lot less hassle to just receive a new battery here though.

What is very iffy about both of them is that I think they left everyone in the dark and not issued serial numbers of the dodgy ones.

There's slightly more info about Samsung. Apple treats it as black ops.
  • pericompericom Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    Apparently the dodgy ones have a serial number that starts with "BD".
  • thebennyboythebennyboy Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    pericom wrote: »
    Apparently the dodgy ones have a serial number that starts with "BD".

Does that stand for "Battery Dead"? :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So they say it was affecting owners in Germany .... Does that mean they were saying 30% of s4 phones were bought in Germany, or 30% of German sourced phones?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    30% of a batch.

Even that usual garbage of 'a small amount/percentage' that gets forever pronounced could be 30 or 100% of one production batch.