Any Games Makers here?

2»

Comments

• tvqueen1905tvqueen1905 Posts: 82,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zulu17 wrote: »
    I'm a Games Maker at Wimbledon for the Olympics and at Eton Manor for the Paralympics tennis. Really looking forward to it .

aww excellent :)

i take it you do your venue training later this month

whats your role at wimbledon

can't believe it starts this month :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    been offered a role at olympic park but most of the shifts start very early. think i'm going to accept for the moment but depends if all the training can be fitted in to weekends between now and then as i cant take any more time off my real job.
  • burnesideburneside Posts: 2,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bloke in my office had his camp uniform delivered to work, it got opened "by mistake" and we all had a good laugh. Why anybody would give up their free time to ensure McD and Coca-Cola make even more profit is mind-boggling.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    aww excellent :)

i take it you do your venue training later this month

whats your role at wimbledon

can't believe it starts this month :eek:

Yes further training later this month at Wimbledon - I'm in the Timing and Scoring team.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes further training later this month at Wimbledon - I'm in the Timing and Scoring team.

excellent have fun :)
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rosalynn wrote: »
    I have got a ticket to the Olympic opening ceremony technical rehearsal to thank me for my patience - really happy about this, and massively excited.

The irony is that I have had to book an extra day off work and had to cancel some of the time I would/might have off should I get the role (also wanted to see the torch relay, so had to rebook that, too)

I got that too, I found it a huge insult to be honest. I applied a couple of years ago when applications first opened, interviewed 18 months ago and have since been kept repeatedly on hold in case other people decide not to take up offers. It made me really angry how they assumed that people were able to or even willing to travel to London for their convenience after being left in the lurch for so long.

I've found the whole process to be abysmally organised, and I think keeping people on hold for over a year is a complete disgrace. Most of the enthusiasm I had for the Olympics was completely drained in that time as I got email after email telling me I was still being left in limbo, and given that I don't live anywhere near London the situation became impossible as I wouldn't have got affordable accommodation in time, so I withdrew my application. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that so long after interviewing they'd have the decency to either give me a role or reject me.

I am still going to the Olympics, but that's more to fulfil an ambition to go to Wimbledon and see the world's top tennis pros play than out of any real love for the Olympics. I'm sure I'll enjoy the atmosphere and I can at least say I was there and had the once in a lifetime experience, but there's still quite a sour taste in my mouth over it all. I hope all of you enjoy being Games Makers, but I've been left very disillusioned by the whole process.
  • rosalynnrosalynn Posts: 4,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mystical123 - so sorry you feel that way, but I totally understand. I was one of the last people to be interviewed (I think it was April), so I think my situation is a bit different to yours as you were interviewed so long ago and have been in limbo for so long.

I'm not in London either, so that aspect complicated matters for me, plus I block-booked time off to cover the whole of the Olympics but have since had to cancel that as I didn't want to miss out on the torch relay.

I think it's really sad you've become soured by the whole experience - I hope you enjoy Wimbledon when you go, and hopefully enjoy the rest of the Olympics for what they are :)
    Forum Member
    Mystical123 - I can appreciate your disappointment. If you decide to go to the rehearsal event I hope you have a great experience. We will all have our own individual experiences of the Olympics and Paralympics. My experience to date is very positive having been fortunate to have been a volunteer at two test events. Anyway enjoy your Wimbledon trip the likely players are listed at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennis_at_the_2012_Summer_Olympics_%E2%80%93_Qualification

some interesting doubles combinations
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mystical123 - I can appreciate your disappointment. If you decide to go to the rehearsal event I hope you have a great experience. We will all have our own individual experiences of the Olympics and Paralympics. My experience to date is very positive having been fortunate to have been a volunteer at two test events. Anyway enjoy your Wimbledon trip the likely players are listed at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennis_at_the_2012_Summer_Olympics_%E2%80%93_Qualification

some interesting doubles combinations

whens your first shift
  • The NetThe Net Posts: 5,494
    Forum Member
    whens your first shift

I'm working with the EVS team at Excel and my first shift is Saturday 28th 2pm until 1am. I've got 5 shifts.
    Forum Member
    whens your first shift

From the competition start although there's a few sessions of further training/preparation in the week before. Could be long days if the weather disrupts the play.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Net wrote: »
    I'm working with the EVS team at Excel and my first shift is Saturday 28th 2pm until 1am. I've got 5 shifts.

awesome

i am evs at wembley so my first shift is the longest shift i has as there is 2 matches on the 29th

i arrive in london on the 28th
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the competition start although there's a few sessions of further training/preparation in the week before. Could be long days if the weather disrupts the play.

know what you mean :(

they may have to use centre court most of the time

my venue has a roof but guess there will be a delay if it has to be closed mid game :(
    Forum Member
    If you are at Wembley I don't believe they close the roof whilst spectators are in the stadium. From the Wembley stadium website:

For the majority of event days at Wembley Stadium, the roof is in its fully closed position – lined up with the touchlines leaving the seats covered but the pitch uncovered.
    This is how Wembley Stadium has been designed as it allows for the playing surface to receive maximum sunlight. Wembley Stadium does not move the sliding roof whilst visitors are in the Stadium.
    In the event of heavy rain some visitors on Level 1 can get wet, so we would recommend visitors dress accordingly.
    As Wembley Stadium’s roof does not close fully, visitors with tickets for the standing pitch area at concerts will get wet in the event of rain.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are at Wembley I don't believe they close the roof whilst spectators are in the stadium. From the Wembley stadium website:

For the majority of event days at Wembley Stadium, the roof is in its fully closed position – lined up with the touchlines leaving the seats covered but the pitch uncovered.
    This is how Wembley Stadium has been designed as it allows for the playing surface to receive maximum sunlight. Wembley Stadium does not move the sliding roof whilst visitors are in the Stadium.
    In the event of heavy rain some visitors on Level 1 can get wet, so we would recommend visitors dress accordingly.
    As Wembley Stadium’s roof does not close fully, visitors with tickets for the standing pitch area at concerts will get wet in the event of rain.

i thought the roof moved to cover the pitch like at wimbledon in the event of rain :confused: as i thought they wouldn't want to pitch to get wet

would they not close the roof if it rained before the game :o
  • The NetThe Net Posts: 5,494
    Forum Member
    i thought the roof moved to cover the pitch like at wimbledon in the event of rain :confused: as i thought they wouldn't want to pitch to get wet

would they not close the roof if it rained before the game :o

I never even thought the roof ever closed at Wembley. I've been many times in the rain and it has never slid shut. It must take an absolute age to do so if it does at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    I'm a Games Maker at Wimbledon for the Olympics and at Eton Manor for the Paralympics tennis. Really looking forward to it .

I'm at Wimbledon too in Technology. I was accepted last October but everything has moved slow since. Got my accreditation tomorrow and VST on Monday and apparently my RST will be sent via e-mail. My first shift is next Thursday. I am planning on sleeping at Surbiton Hockey Club campsite where they're charging £10 a night which isn't bad at all but if anyone knows other places or any facebook groups or anything I'd be ever so grateful.

Living in Leeds it's all a bit expensive but exciting though!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm at Wimbledon too in Technology. I was accepted last October but everything has moved slow since. Got my accreditation tomorrow and VST on Monday and apparently my RST will be sent via e-mail. My first shift is next Thursday. I am planning on sleeping at Surbiton Hockey Club campsite where they're charging £10 a night which isn't bad at all but if anyone knows other places or any facebook groups or anything I'd be ever so grateful.

Will pm you info about fb group/accomodation site
    Forum Member

I would suggest you check out your travel options via the Transport for London Journey planner , the K3 bus timetable and the South West Trains options from Hinckley Wood , Surbiton & possibly Thames Ditton

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/

http://www.londonbusroutes.net/times/K03.htm

http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/

In essence you'll need to get to a train station , a train to Wimbledon and then probably a District line to Southfields. unless you can make use of the bus service. It will take a while because your campground although it has several stations in the vicinity they all seem to be a long walk or a bus journey away.

There is a spectator guide

http://www.london2012.com/about-us/publications/publication=olympic-spectator-guide-tennis/n
    which you might find useful as it has a map insert showing the W imbledon , Southfields and tennis centre - Obviously your route will be slightly different as you will be entering at a diifferent point.but the roads are clearly marked.
    Forum Member
    PontefractWhite

AS you are in there on Monday you might be interested in

http://www.bbc.co.uk/torchrelay/day66

as the Torch relay passes through the Area.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    I would suggest you check out your travel options via the Transport for London Journey planner , the K3 bus timetable and the South West Trains options from Hinckley Wood , Surbiton & possibly Thames Ditton

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/

http://www.londonbusroutes.net/times/K03.htm

http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/

In essence you'll need to get to a train station , a train to Wimbledon and then probably a District line to Southfields. unless you can make use of the bus service. It will take a while because your campground although it has several stations in the vicinity they all seem to be a long walk or a bus journey away.

There is a spectator guide

http://www.london2012.com/about-us/publications/publication=olympic-spectator-guide-tennis/n
    which you might find useful as it has a map insert showing the W imbledon , Southfields and tennis centre - Obviously your route will be slightly different as you will be entering at a diifferent point.but the roads are clearly marked.

Thanks a lot, I'll take a look. Games Makers get 1-6 zones free transport so that's not too bad.