'Guardians of the Galaxy', Flop in the Making?

Comments

• Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Yeah I expected Guardians Of The Galaxy to get good reviews but I just don't know how well it would do at the box office!
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,930
    Forum Member
    Motthus wrote: »
    I think most people and even Marvel themselves know that GOTG is a gamble but this is the sort of gamble that Marvel need to take.As they can't keep producing constant sequels to Iron Man,Thor,Captain America etc.They need to use their other characters like Guardians and other upcoming films like Ant Man and Doctor Strange!

I don't think that Marvel expect GOTG to be a massive success and they will properly be happy if it just makes a profit which I think will be achieved just by the amount of Marvel film fans who will go to watch it!
    Doctor Strange might well be the new franchise that takes off. Battling the supernatural is more with the times than battling aliens and space navies.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    Not because of the quality of the film, more that it doesn't seem mainstream to me.

Also Marvel must be at the end of their run of success with basically the same formula, audiences get tired of the same thing.

It has to happen one day, this films looks like a likely candidate...

It's a risk, alright - certainly "Green Lantern" showed mixing superheroes with space opera
    could flop badly- but it's "hardly the same formula" as the other super-flicks out there.
    If anything, GotG looks like "X-Men meets Futurama meets Blake's Seven".
    Forum Member
    I actually think that Marvel will want both Guardians Of The Galaxy and Doctor Strange to be sucesses as both space and supernatural are the new directions that they want to go for the future Phases.

As I stated in a previous post Guardians is important as it will briefly show more of a future villian that will be important in future Marvel films.Im trying not to spoil too much but this character has already been seen!
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Mandark wrote: »
    Doctor Strange might well be the new franchise that takes off. Battling the supernatural is more with the times than battling aliens and space navies.

I'm surprised Marvel doesn't seem to be doing anything with the Runaways, though-what
    with all the YA sci-fi and fantasy out there, you think it's be a sure thing.
    Forum Member
    A Runaways film was talked about years ago but nothing happened with it.Its very unlikely to happen now as Marvel seem to have their films planned up to 2019 and I can't see Runaways fitting into that.Unlike Guardians Of The Galaxy and Doctor Strange which both fit perfectly into Marvel future plans!
    Forum Member
    All I see online is great comments about Guardians Of The Galaxy.I can't wait to see it now!
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Motthus wrote: »
    As I stated in a previous post Guardians is important as it will briefly show more of a future villian that will be important in future Marvel films.Im trying not to spoil too much but this character has already been seen!
    Thanos? With Gamora being his adopted daughter?
    Forum Member
    Yes you are right PunksNotDead
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    two words. rocket. racoon....

its going to be one of the big characters this year and sell a shed load of merch of the back of it

going to see this tonight at a regional premiere and my son is really looking forward to this,far more than he was for say The Avengers
  • Gemma_HardingGemma_Harding Posts: 692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its going to be one of the big characters this year and sell a shed load of merch of the back of it

going to see this tonight at a regional premiere and my son is really looking forward to this,far more than he was for say The Avengers

I'm going to a regional premiere tonight too and I can't wait. I am curious to see what Marvel do with a relatively less well known group of characters.
  • samtheqtsamtheqt Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    Well, I just got back from the regional premiere too. Had a nice surprise email from SeeFilmFirst this morning offering me tickets to a local IMAX last minute. Was planning to see it at some point, but couldn't turn down free tickets, no adverts and a free movie poster ;)

Back to the film, I thought it was brilliant. I had only recently got into the whole Marvel franchise of films and after watching Captain America:Winter Soldier and seeing the reference to The Collector, couldn't wait to see what this angle of the universe offered.

Whilst I haven't seen many films with these actors/actresses in, I thought that in a way made it better, because my expectations weren't set at all. Regardless of that, the story line was good and the characters interaction was spot on. I really liked the fact they managed to put a fair few jokes in which had most of the audience laughing (went straight over my 13 year old brothers head). The CGI was darn good and by the end of the film, I thought it really set the scene for future possibilities. The only bit I was disappointed with, was that there was no extra scene for the next film at the end, like they did with the others, not sure if that was because this was a premiere?
    It said at the end of the film "Guardians of the Galaxy....Will Return" so I think we can expect a second film.
    Forum Member
    James Gunn recently confirmed that the reason why there wasn't an after credit scene in the premieres is because its only recently been finished and will be on the film when its offically released.He said it won't set up the next Marvel film but will add a new element to the Marvel universe!

I think they will announce who is playing Dr Strange at Comic Con and he will feature in the after credit scene for Guardians Of The Galaxy!
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone who thinks GOTG is going to flop needs their head checked. This will be a success for Marvel. It might not be massive like Iron Man style, but it will definetely not flop and all the reviews have been positive.

It's a change in direction but it looks like James Gunn has pulled it off and the sequel will come sooner rather than later.
  • sheff71sheff71 Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    Saw one of the free Regional Premieres tonight, really enjoyed it - good performances all round and Groot was great! Plenty of laughs, good 3D and bags of action, from characters I'd never heard of!
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also just got back from one of the regional premieres,and this has to be one of the best,if not the best Marvel movie so far,action packed,yet witty as hell,the soundtrack is perfect,James Gunn take a bow man as you've just knocked it out of the park
  • Gemma_HardingGemma_Harding Posts: 692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched the film last night and I loved it. This was just a fun action packed film. The time wizzed by and I was swept up in the whole story. Like others, I agree that this is a change in direction that really works and sets up numerous possibilities for future films.

I took my mum and she commented that she liked this better than the Avengers. I'm afraid I may have to agree, because it felt really organic and more of an ensemble piece than the Avengers. Don't get me wrong, I love the Avengers film, but at times it came across as the Iron Man film with the Avengers. Could just be me though.

Guardians of The Galaxy is going on my must buy list now!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The latest trailer and the early positive reviews have really made me interested in this.

Just seen that Joss Whedon attended the premiere, if it's good enough for Joss to go see it, I'm sold! (don't want to hear anything about contractual obligations)
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    This seems to be getting good reviews. It will be a Blu-Ray one for me though.
  • edwinbotedwinbot Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    Really looking forward to seeing this once it's out in the UK. I've been brainwashing my girlfriend with trailers for months now!
  • RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw an Imax trailer for this in the states last week - looked very impressive.
    Forum Member
    Well it seems that Marvel are not expecting a flop as they announced the sequel at Comic Con and its release date as the 28th July 2017
  • Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is now (and always was really) a hugely inaccurate thread title.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    looks like a really silly movie. more talking animals .
    the world is being dumbed down