Options

Nice and not very nice celebrities who you have met

Comments

• Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Monkhouse was a genius and was a comics comic. His archived material is invaluable to media historians. Remember the advert he "appeared in" after his death from cancer - very spooky.
  • Options
    Gloria FandangoGloria Fandango Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was my son's Y6 Prom last night and I noticed a fit bloke at the golf club where the Prom was held. It was only after some of the Y6 mums started to swoon and take off into the bar with their cameras that I found out it was Dwight Yorke! Lovely man, and very patient, happily posed for photos with some of the Y6 children and their parents!

When one of my sons was a youngster he idolised Dwight Yorke and sent a SAE to his then football club to ask for Dwight's autograph.

Not only did he get an autograph but Dwight had personally cut out, from a footie magazine, a double page size pic of his head, signed it and sent it back!

My son was over the moon and has always kept it safe. He is 27 now! :cool:
  • Options
    BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a shame he doesn't appear to be with his own child much!

That's not actually his fault but the mothers. He pays her mother a full time wage to care for his son, even though the mother is apparently loaded.
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »
    Monkhouse was a genius and was a comics comic. His archived material is invaluable to media historians. Remember the advert he "appeared in" after his death from cancer - very spooky.

I saw him at a small venue where you had a meal and a show. Bob did at least twice the amount of time he was meant to do. I was there under suffrance really, it was a family outing, but you did get the sense that you were seeing a comedy genius. He did this thing at the end where he asked a substantial number of the audience a fact about themselves or their name and as quick as a flash he would have a related joke, which ties in with his collection of jokes and comedy related media. He looked like he was thoroughly enjoying himself too. I have seen loads of comedians ranging from Connelly, Dee, Noble, Millican, Bishop, Flannagan and Bob's show was a stand out even though I was not expecting to enjoy it, as up to that point I saw him as a cheesy game show host.
  • Options
    tony-wtony-w Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    Fascinating to read through this thread. I only have one story to share:

Steve Coogan
    Thoroughly nice bloke, myself and some friends went to see him live in 1998 'The Man Who Thinks He's It '
    As Tony Ferrino he got one of the girls with us up on stage to sing to her in a sexually provocative manner, he took her behind a stage screen (casting a shadow) implying he was having sex with her.
    He gave her £50 and invited her (and by proxy) us in to the bar after the show for drinks. he was happy to talk to everyone there and signed many autographs and posed for many pictures.
    He also singled out my friend during the show (as Alan Partridge) with the comment
    'Nice specs Harry Potter' - we still call him by this name to this day, and he does look a little like Harry Potter :)
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    boddism wrote: »
    I saw Nick Hancock filming a show. When the cameras were off he was just STILL not connecting with the audience or guest at all, just waited for cameras to come back on. His guest was friendly & engaging. It was Bob Monkhouse, much nicer than his slimy reputation

Someone I went to college with was on one of Bob's quiz shows and she was full of praise for him. She said he went out of his way to put everyone at ease and make sure they were having a good time. She mentioned to him that she was a science fiction fan and they had a long conversation about SF - she said Bob really knew his stuff.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    We were at a wedding in a posh local hotel when my daughter was 11 and we saw Jamie Redknapp in the foyer en route to his room. He was surrounded by a circle of kids. He stood there for ages chatting away and signing autographs for everyone. He was lovely with the youngsters - so patient and friendly. A lovely, lovely man and thoroughly unassuming.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    STEWPOT01 wrote: »
    I met Les Dawson when I was 14, he was a lovely man. I wanted his autograph and he neither of us had a pen so he asked me to go back to the theater the next evening, go to the stage door and wait inside for him to arrive. He turned up and spent about 30mins talking to my mum and myself, he gave a signed photo and also got me the programme signed by the other artists. He was a true gent.
    I also met Olivia Newton-John around the same time, she was gorgeous

The only rude celebrity I met was Dickie Henderson - he appeared to be drunk (Which I read in later years he was most of the time) and just shoved children out of the way while cursing under his breath.

Les Dawson is a comedy hero of mine, so thanks for sharing that. Am not surprised to hear that he was a nice man as apart from being funny, he always seemed like one of the good guys. Nice to read positive comments about Bob Monkhouse too. His later stand up was excellent and although previously only really knew him from quiz shows, his autobiography completely changed my perception of him. Very self deprecating, funny and sometimes touching read.

It's nice when people you admire turn out to be estimable people in 'real' life. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Les Dawson is a comedy hero of mine, so thanks for sharing that. Am not surprised to hear that he was a nice man as apart from being funny, he always seemed like one of the good guys. Nice to read positive comments about Bob Monkhouse too. His later stand up was excellent and although previously only really knew him from quiz shows, his autobiography completely changed my perception of him. Very self deprecating, funny and sometimes touching read.

It's nice when people you admire turn out to be estimable people in 'real' life. :)

Completely agree Michael, I too loved Les Dawson as a nipper, I'm not surprised to hear he was a smashing chap in RL too.
    Always liked Bob Monkhouse as well, I vaguely recall him doing the live lottery show once, and only a few minutes in the autocue broke down, and Bob just carried on seamlessly, a true pro.
    You'd never have known anything had gone wrong.
  • Options
    SealegSealeg Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    tony-w wrote: »
    Fascinating to read through this thread. I only have one story to share:

Steve Coogan
    Thoroughly nice bloke, myself and some friends went to see him live in 1998 'The Man Who Thinks He's It '
    As Tony Ferrino he got one of the girls with us up on stage to sing to her in a sexually provocative manner, he took her behind a stage screen (casting a shadow) implying he was having sex with her.
    He gave her £50 and invited her (and by proxy) us in to the bar after the show for drinks. he was happy to talk to everyone there and signed many autographs and posed for many pictures.
    He also singled out my friend during the show (as Alan Partridge) with the comment
    'Nice specs Harry Potter' - we still call him by this name to this day, and he does look a little like Harry Potter :)

Yeah I've heard only nice things about Steve Coogan from friends who've met him.

Didn't think Harry Potter was out in 1998 though:confused:
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Sealeg wrote: »
    Yeah I've heard only nice things about Steve Coogan from friends who've met him.

The first book was 1997 wasn't it?
  • Options
    SealegSealeg Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    The first book was 1997 wasn't it?

Yeah the book was. Would he reference someone's looks from a kids book? Not that it matters I suppose.
  • Options
    Forum Member

That is true, but (Steve) was obviously referencing the book cover, which was a huge hit at the time..

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/6b/Harry_Potter_and_the_Philosopher%27s_Stone_Book_Cover.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah the book was. Would he reference someone's looks from a kids book? Not that it matters I suppose.

He was referencing the spectacles as opposed to his looks, suppose it was an ad-lib as Alan Partridge and obviously not part of his routine, he commented on a lot of people in the audience too (he made his way through the audience to arrive on stage)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Badcat wrote: »
    That's not actually his fault but the mothers. He pays her mother a full time wage to care for his son, even though the mother is apparently loaded.

Ugh please!

Peter Andre had no trouble gaining shared custody of his kids. If Dwight Yorke wanted to see his son, he could see him. It clearly suits him not to. And why shouldn't he contribute financially? He's loaded too. That 'full time wage' is probably pocket change to both Harvey's parents, and his son will be disabled and need full time care for life. It would have been much nicer for Harvey to have a stable father figure in his life, but sadly he's too much of a man-child to step up.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    Ugh please!

Peter Andre had no trouble gaining shared custody of his kids.

Don't we know it. It's been the slimy scumbag's meal ticket ever since!!

How on Earth is this talentless nobody still around?!?
  • Options
    ValentineValentine Posts: 3,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprised to read the negative comments about Nick Hancock.

A few years back, there was a big campaign in Stoke (where he's from) to save one of the High Schools. The head of the campaign saw Nick Hancock on a train and approached him to ask if he'd help out in any way with publicity. He happily chatted (despite the fella having called him 'Tony', not Nick, by accident!) gave his mobile number and said to call him if there was anything he could do in the future to help out.

The head of the campaign called him a few weeks later and he agreed to donate his fee (£2,000) for opening a new Premier Inn locally to the campaign.

All in all, a top fella.
  • Options
    Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not the least bit surprised about Les, who always came across as a lovely man. I'm happy to hear about Steve, who comes in for a lot of criticism, but who I always feel is one of the good guys really. As for Nick Hancock, I don't think we have heard the story of what made him a "tosser", but I don't think failing to chat to a studio audience warrants putting him in the "not very nice" camp!
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    I quite literally trod on Lisa Riley at Picadilly station on Friday.

She was very kind and gracious about it (but very, very orange)
  • Options
    SemillionSemillion Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My parents won a trip to New York in 1978 and stayed at the swish Carlyle Hotel and witnessed up close Danny Kaye being deeply unpleasant to a male front desk receptionist. Dad was shattered as he'd always loved Kaye's films.
  • Options
    FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to comicon in manchester at the weekend and I've always had a bit of a crush on Chris Barrie , My friends had downloaded a picture of him in the episode where hes being rubbed down by the Gelfs , I bottled out of getting it signed but my friend took it up and he was a real gent signed the photo to Faye Im ready for my rub down :D even thoughinside he must have been thinking I was some mad stalker , perv . all the Red Dwarf people who were there came across very well
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hughie Green is often reviled these days, but my grandparents went to see him at an Opportunity Knocks roadshow in 1974 and said he was excellent with the people at Butlins and very kind to old people and children. I think away from his private life, he was always excellent to his fans.
  • Options
    STEWPOT01STEWPOT01 Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Hughie Green is often reviled these days, but my grandparents went to see him at an Opportunity Knocks roadshow in 1974 and said he was excellent with the people at Butlins and very kind to old people and children. I think away from his private life, he was always excellent to his fans.

That was his public side which was all false. I know of somebody who auditioned for the show back in the 60s. Green was a horrible man, and let's just say that winning the show as not exactly 'above board'.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    STEWPOT01 wrote: »
    That was his public side which was all false. I know of somebody who auditioned for the show back in the 60s. Green was a horrible man, and let's just say that winning the show as not exactly 'above board'.

He had this sort of veneer of charm towards old people and children, as he knew he couldn't afford to bite the hand that fed him, when his personal life was in turmoil. I did hear Green used to lock the winners into a golden handcuffs deal with him, which meant he controlled their careers.
  • Options
    STEWPOT01STEWPOT01 Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    He had this sort of veneer of charm towards old people and children, as he knew he couldn't afford to bite the hand that fed him, when his personal life was in turmoil. I did hear Green used to lock the winners into a golden handcuffs deal with him, which meant he controlled their careers.

That's spot on Glenn. It was because of that the person I knew told Green where to go and he carved out a nice career for himself on the continent and is still there today, unless he has retired.