Madonna - Queen Of Plagiarism?

Comments

• Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But that doesn't mean game over for everybody else does it? And I disagree, I don't think madonna has done it all - I think there's so much more that she could do, and that is yet for her to do - and I'm sure she would agree.
    However I do totally agree with you that no other female artist has had as much impact as Madonna - but that doesn't mean it's all over!

I'm not saying the game is over for everyone as it clearly isn't. But Madonna was the first female artist to do everything that the men were. Thats why her impact on musical culture will never be topped. For example, The Blonde Ambition Tour completely changed concerts. That set the blue print for every tour a pop star has had since. Thats a legacy.
  • MissMusiqueMissMusique Posts: 2,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not saying the game is over for everyone as it clearly isn't. But Madonna was the first female artist to do everything that the men were. Thats why her impact on musical culture will never be topped. For example, The Blonde Ambition Tour completely changed concerts. That set the blue print for every tour a pop star has had since. Thats a legacy.

Sure, I'm not disagreeing with you! What she's achieved in her career is astonishing, especially considering the huge mountain she would have had to have climbed being a woman as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plagarism is passing off the work of others as your own. So no, Madonna is not dressing up as Monroe or Garbot etc without citing the inspiration.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    There is obviously a difference between stealing and being inspired by something. Madonna has clearly been inspired by Monroe et al and takes inspiration for a lot of her imagery from other sources, but on the other hand she has lost a fair few lawsuits due to stealing music.
    The answer is, no one is a saint. Fans tend to only notice what they want to, as do "haters", and at the end of the day it's all a bit petty isn't it??!! As far as I'm aware, Madonna has never stated to be completely original, as there is no such thing. Everything derives from something else, music, fashion, art, and I'm pretty sure Madonna (and Gaga, who has predictably been drawn into this as some kind of strange automatic defence-mechanism) will be the first to say that. They would probably be more than happy to go through what inspired them, but then they probably don't because then fans will end up killing each other, and they probably feel like they've got to live up to this expectation that must re-create the Big Bang every time they walk into a recording studio/photo shoot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lmao @ Madonna fans

When Gaga, Beyonce, Rihanna, Britney, Katy and others do it, it's stealing.

When she does it, it's "being inspired" hahahaha
  • MissMusiqueMissMusique Posts: 2,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is obviously a difference between stealing and being inspired by something. Madonna has clearly been inspired by Monroe et al and takes inspiration for a lot of her imagery from other sources, but on the other hand she has lost a fair few lawsuits due to stealing music.
    The answer is, no one is a saint. Fans tend to only notice what they want to, as do "haters", and at the end of the day it's all a bit petty isn't it??!! As far as I'm aware, Madonna has never stated to be completely original, as there is no such thing. Everything derives from something else, music, fashion, art, and I'm pretty sure Madonna (and Gaga, who has predictably been drawn into this as some kind of strange automatic defence-mechanism) will be the first to say that. They would probably be more than happy to go through what inspired them, but then they probably don't because then fans will end up killing each other, and they probably feel like they've got to live up to this expectation that must re-create the Big Bang every time they walk into a recording studio/photo shoot.

This. Great post, I totally agree.
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    glad you continue to be amused.:yawn:
    nicmars wrote: »
    lmao @ Madonna fans

is it really still that funny though? after all, you seemed to be equally amused, when you came to the same conclusion months ago.:sleep:
    It's funny that when it comes to Madonna they call her stealing inspiration but when it comes to Gaga or any other artist, they are the first to accuse them lol
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What do you mean it's not quite true with Madonna? sorry just didn't get what you meant - it's been a long day :o

im saying (again) that in the 80's and 90's madonna cut new ground, she didnt raid retro acts in which to shape her career.

nowdays though shes a pale imitation of her former self.
    It always AMAZES ME when people think Madonna stole from Monroe. Stole what exactly? every blonde woman in Hollywood was doing the Monroe look after Monroe. Madonna wasn't the first use a similar hairstyle and those who clearly aren't clever enough to see that the Material Girl video was a homage just don't deserve to breath!!!!

monroe wasnt even the first blonde bombshell
    Madonna's impact and legacy will never be repeated by anyone. Madonna changed music for female artists. She altered the musical landscape in a way no female singer had done before. There is no new ground for any new artist to cover because Madonna has already done it all.

whilst what you say isnt strictly untrue, you do overstate madonnas impact. she wasnt the only woman in music to cut new ground.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lmao @ Madonna fans

Rihanna, Britney, Christina and Katy are very clearly inspired by Madonna and admit it. They have never ripped her off or directly copied her. Gaga however has clearly lifted several of Madonna's signature themes mainly from the 1989 to 1993 era and tried to pass them off as her own ''art''. Thats the difference between the others and Gaga. Not that I am trying to start a Gaga war but the difference is clear. That is why Gaga is always singled out. Being inspired is one thing. Copying is another.

As for Beyonce. She is NOTHING like Madonna. They are poles apart as artists. But on the subject of Beyonce she has had more claims of plagiarism and dodgy song writing credits than Madonna ever has. At least Madonna has a distinctive writing style so even as producers come and go you can tell she has a huge imput in the lyrics of her songs.

whilst what you say isnt strictly untrue, you do overstate madonnas impact. she wasnt the only woman in music to cut new ground.
    Monroe was the first blonde bombshell to strike a cord with women as well as men. She was America's first real Sweetheart. That was why she became such a box office hit for Fox.

Madonna may not have been the only woman to cut new ground but she was the woman who reshaped pop music. I don't think thats overstating anything. You just have to look at the charts right now to see who the idol of Rihanna, Gaga, Katy, Britney is. Again thats a legacy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rihanna, Britney, Christina and Katy are very clearly inspired by Madonna and admit it. They have never ripped her off or directly copied her. Gaga however has clearly lifted several of Madonna's signature themes mainly from the 1989 to 1993 era and tried to pass them off as her own ''art''. Thats the difference between the others and Gaga. Not that I am trying to start a Gaga war but the difference is clear. That is why Gaga is always singled out. Being inspired is one thing. Copying is another.

As for Beyonce. She is NOTHING like Madonna. They are poles apart as artists. But on the subject of Beyonce she has had more claims of plagiarism and dodgy song writing credits than Madonna ever has. At least Madonna has a distinctive writing style so even as producers come and go you can tell she has a huge imput in the lyrics of her songs.

I never said Rihanna, Britney, Christina and Katy are ripping off Madonna. I said that they have copied other people which prompted people to call it stealing, but when Madonna does it then it's inspiration.

Gaga is inspired by David Bowie and Grace Jones before Madonna. You can clearly see the influence of them on Gaga. Madonna fans just like to believe that Gaga is stealing from Madonna when she also admitted that Madonna has inspired her during her life.

I've said some harsh things about Beyonce on this forum but if we come to facts, she only had 2 lawsuits, and 1 of them wasn't about the credits of the song (Des'ree track). The other claims are just blog rumours and crazy youtube videos.

You make it seem like Madonna is the girls' only inspiration. Gaga's is inspired by David Bowie and Grace Jones. Britney Spears is inspired Whitney Houston, Otis Redding and Mariah Carey. Rihanna's idol growing up is Beyonce and also inspired by Mariah Carey. Christina's main inspiration is Etta James and many old skool musicians.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never said Rihanna, Britney, Christina and Katy are ripping off Madonna. I said that they have copied other people which prompted people to call it stealing, but when Madonna does it then it's inspiration.

Gaga is inspired by David Bowie and Grace Jones before Madonna. You can clearly see the influence of them on Gaga. Madonna fans just like to believe that Gaga is stealing from Madonna when she also admitted that Madonna has inspired her during her life.

I've said some harsh things about Beyonce on this forum but if we come to facts, she only had 2 lawsuits, and 1 of them wasn't about the credits of the song (Des'ree track). The other claims are just blog rumours and crazy youtube videos.

You make it seem like Madonna is the girls' only inspiration. Gaga's is inspired by David Bowie and Grace Jones. Britney Spears is inspired Whitney Houston, Otis Redding and Mariah Carey. Rihanna's idol growing up is Beyonce and also inspired by Mariah Carey. Christina's main inspiration is Etta James and many old skool musicians.

Where did I say she was their only inspriation? I never. I said she clearly inspired them all which they admit. Even Christina..... google is your friend. So why you have gone all defensive I don't know. Its not a case of ''so and so inspired someone first'' yadda yadda. Its about overall influence. We aren't in the playground.

As for Gaga copying Grace Jones and Bowie. Yes she has and it lead to Grace Jones bad mouthing her. Hoever you have to be deluded if you cannot see the impact Madonna had on Gaga. When she performed Born This Way at the Grammys , people questioned if the song and the performance was a Madonna homage and tribute. That detrailed the whole BTW era for Gaga as the comparison wouldn't leave her. So don't make out its only Madonna fans saying it when it was everyone.

Ne-Yo among others called Beyonce out in public.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where did I say she was their only inspriation? I never. I said she clearly inspired them all which they admit. Even Christina..... google is your friend. So why you have gone all defensive I don't know. Its not a case of ''so and so inspired someone first'' yadda yadda. Its about overall influence. We aren't in the playground.

As for Gaga copying Grace Jones and Bowie. Yes she has and it lead to Grace Jones bad mouthing her. Hoever you have to be deluded if you cannot see the impact Madonna had on Gaga. When she performed Born This Way at the Grammys , people questioned if the song and the performance was a Madonna homage and tribute. That detrailed the whole BTW era for Gaga as the comparison wouldn't leave her. So don't make out its only Madonna fans saying it when it was everyone.

Ne-Yo among others called Beyonce out in public.

Where have I gone defensive?!! :confused:

I never said Madonna hasn't inspired Gaga. I just related to what you said, when you mentioned that Britney and the other girls admitted Madonna's inspiration where Gaga never did and only made it look like her own. Lady Gaga said in many interviews that Madonna is one of her inspirations but Madonna's fans turn a blind eye on this and call it stealing!!! The only answer to this is Madonna's fans being threatened by Gaga's success.

The Ne-yo thing is boring and over hyped now. He came out in many interviews and said that he GAVE her the credits because his version of Irreplaceable is totally different to Beyonce's one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where have I gone defensive?!! :confused:

I never said Madonna hasn't inspired Gaga. I just related to what you said, when you mentioned that Britney and the other girls admitted Madonna's inspiration where Gaga never did and only made it look like her own. Lady Gaga said in many interviews that Madonna is one of her inspirations but Madonna's fans turn a blind eye on this and call it stealing!!! The only answer to this is Madonna's fans being threatened by Gaga's success.

The Ne-yo thing is boring and over hyped now. He came out in many interviews and said that he GAVE her the credits because his version of Irreplaceable is totally different to Beyonce's one.

Actually Gaga's response to the Madonna thing initially was that it was ''retarded''. Also I don't think any Madonna fan feels treatened by Gaga, threatened about what exactly? Pop stars like Gaga come and go, Britney was in the exact same place 10 years ago, as was Cyndi in the 80s and Mariah in the 90s. Madonna hasn't lasted 30 years for nothing. Only until another female artist lasts as long as Madonna and is still having number 1 albums and sell out world tours 30 years into their career can someone say they feel treatened. Its rather laughable and immature to suggest thats the case. Gaga's success is nothing Madonna fans haven't seen before and I'm sure its nothing they won't see again in the future once the next big female blows up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im saying (again) that in the 80's and 90's madonna cut new ground, she didnt raid retro acts in which to shape her career.

nowdays though shes a pale imitation of her former self.

BIB...

Again this kinda showcases the diversity of fanbase....i dont think she has truly changed in attitude or anything this era....she just has kept the music of new current and flavoursome...it is the live shows however that are cutting edge this time around by pushing the elvelope forward.

And in terms of her Post-Millenium albums/singles....the Music album was the first to bring Mirwais into the mix and incorporate Acoustics and Techno into popular music....American Life pushed it further by harshening the Techno and incorporating her most complex material of recent times with FOlk incorporated in there ( you can literally smell the napalm ala - Apocalypse Now!) and Confessions On A Dance Floor was the first big gun album to really pour Trance, Alternative Dance and SYnthpop into mainstream music years before the "Class Of 2009 Popstars" came into play. each of the three albums ahead of their time and a definite definition of pushing the wheel forward.

However....much like Bedtime Stories was in 1994, i do feel Madonna is in her transitional period now with Hard Candy it was kinda "label twisting arm" and she had her divorce going on and Malawi Press gunning at her and a movie she made going on and tour extensions...it all seemed a bit "safe for Madonna" and all at once...whereas this year with MDNA she has kept it fun and basic while offering new material for fans and including contemporary sounds (Dubstep mainly) as well as echoes back across her last 12 albums. But tour wise you can see the detail and effort she has put in.

Honestly i feel she has come out of this 5 year transitional period and has a lot to say and do again...post-divorce and embracing everything again....i dont know her but its these vibes im getting anyhow :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    Actually Gaga's response to the Madonna thing initially was that it was ''retarded''. Also I don't think any Madonna fan feels treatened by Gaga, threatened about what exactly? Pop stars like Gaga come and go, Britney was in the exact same place 10 years ago, as was Cyndi in the 80s and Mariah in the 90s. Madonna hasn't lasted 30 years for nothing. Only until another female artist lasts as long as Madonna and is still having number 1 albums and sell out world tours 30 years into their career can someone say they feel treatened. Its rather laughable and immature to suggest thats the case. Gaga's success is nothing Madonna fans haven't seen before and I'm sure its nothing they won't see again in the future once the next big female blows up.

Actually, Gaga made the "retarded" comment regarding the suggestion that she had directly copied Express Yourself when writing BTW, before going on to say that she had merely used a chord progression that had been used in disco music for decades, and that she would have to be a complete idiot to think she'd get away with it. As nicmars said she has said many times how Madonna inspired her. What people don't seem to get is that Born This Way the album was practically Gaga's homage to the 80s, though she didn't go running around saying it. She has said how Madonna inspired her, but also artists like Bruce Springsteen and Iron Maiden. The cover clearly references 80s rock album covers. Also, the majority of the songs on BTW sound nothing like anything that Madonna has ever done. I can't imagine her doing something like You and I or Americano.
    It seems people are having a go at Gaga because she's not creating something completely original, but Gaga has never said that that is what she aims to do. She brings together other genres and adds a Gaga-twist to them. 'Highway Unicorn' for example, brings together rock and dance music to create something that sounds really interesting but still clearly references its inspirations, and there's nothing out there now that sounds like it. Madonna has made a career of finding the new trends and bringing them to the mainstream and that's what she's good at, although judging by her last two albums, she's getting a bit slow, but luckily for her she's had thirty years to build up a fan base that will buy anything she puts out and go to every tour she does. But it's very clear that some Madonna fans are threatened by her. I can only guess it's because Gaga is the first credible threat- she can do everything Madonna can do, and in some cases she can do it better (song writing and her voice, whilst Madonna is the more natural dancer and general performer, in my opinion.)
  • StandByMe89StandByMe89 Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marilyn Monroe is a old Hollywood Goddess. Marilyn's image was embedded in pop culture on such a scale that, Madonna referencing it is hardly plagiarism, but more so an obvious nod. The Gentlemen Prefer Blondes reference, or the recreation of famous Monroe photoshoots. It's not really the same as popstarlets of today and recent years copying Madonna. Madonna's imagery nods back to old Hollywood, where as popstars today copy Madonna copying old Hollywood ;) lol.

Xtina obviously took from Madonna, with her DIRRTY era, then of course the classic Hollywood imagery for another era... Lady Gaga obviously takes 99% of what she does from Madonna, you don't even have to be aware of their work fully to know that. She works with people who worked with Madonna, the imagery she uses, the songs (Dance in the Dark/Vogue, Born This Way/Express Yourself), the attitude somewhat mimicks Madonna's.... she is aware of it otherwise there wouldn't have been that lie from Gaga's team about Madonna's team emailing her about Born this Way.

The difference between all these starlets today, is that Madonna broke down the door they all walked through. She was sticking up for Gays, using catholic imagery, being an AIDS activist http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoikYVj5V6M, risking her career with SEX, etc... Madonna had guts, and it kind of sucks that they all take the credit, when really all they are doing is rehashing what Madonna did 20 years ago.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Monroe was the first blonde bombshell to strike a cord with women as well as men. She was America's first real Sweetheart. That was why she became such a box office hit for Fox.

i couldnt possibly comment on how americans perceived her back in the 50's in relation to the others there were around.

in fact madge herself pays tribute to many on 'vogue', dietrict, harlow, etc many of whom pre-dated monroe.
  • jadebutterfly96jadebutterfly96 Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marilyn Monroe is a old Hollywood Goddess. Marilyn's image was embedded in pop culture on such a scale that, Madonna referencing it is hardly plagiarism, but more so an obvious nod. The Gentlemen Prefer Blondes reference, or the recreation of famous Monroe photoshoots. It's not really the same as popstarlets of today and recent years copying Madonna. Madonna's imagery nods back to old Hollywood, where as popstars today copy Madonna copying old Hollywood ;) lol.

Xtina obviously took from Madonna, with her DIRRTY era, then of course the classic Hollywood imagery for another era... Lady Gaga obviously takes 99% of what she does from Madonna, you don't even have to be aware of their work fully to know that. She works with people who worked with Madonna, the imagery she uses, the songs (Dance in the Dark/Vogue, Born This Way/Express Yourself), the attitude somewhat mimicks Madonna's.... she is aware of it otherwise there wouldn't have been that lie from Gaga's team about Madonna's team emailing her about Born this Way.

The difference between all these starlets today, is that Madonna broke down the door they all walked through. She was sticking up for Gays, using catholic imagery, being an AIDS activist http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoikYVj5V6M, risking her career with SEX, etc... Madonna had guts, and it kind of sucks that they all take the credit, when really all they are doing is rehashing what Madonna did 20 years ago.

This is a brilliant post.

A lot of the youngsters on this forum, having not lived through the 80's and 90s will not truly appreciate the impact Madonna had, and I don't blame them. It doesn't help if they are the die-hard Gaga fans, when faced with accusations that their Mother Monster is copying Madonna, the best they can do is to google and Youtube what they can find out about Madonna, and dismissed the comparison.

I remember to this day, the impact of Like A Prayer had when it was first released. To this date, I have not seen or experienced anything close to that.

The AIDS campaign is a brilliant example too. She was openly talking about the most taboo subject of the 80s, gay people and AIDS. It was seen as a career suicide at the time and people wonder why gay people have always stood behind Madonna!

You summed it up nicely. Madonna had guts, and vision. All the supposedly controversy that Gaga does these days are nothing compared to what Madonna did back in the 80s and 90s.

Rant over.:)
  • robertaloud30robertaloud30 Posts: 3,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    has anyone mentioned Bananarama..it has been said she copied their style at the beginning
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    has anyone mentioned Bananarama..it has been said she copied their style at the beginning

i cant see that....
  • Jay_WallaceJay_Wallace Posts: 115
    Forum Member

Excellent post.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Bananarama thing was Pete Waterman using Madonna's name to promote THEM. Bananarama weren't even that famous in the states.

Madonna's early 80s look was what EVERYONE at the time was doing. Go watch some 80s shows and films on Youtube. That was the style of that era. No one invented that stryle. It was an envolving style.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That is a sublime post :)

And so true i mean of course i wasnt born until 92 so its only through ans like you and my own searching era per era that i see these videos...Madonna is a genuine force and warrior...and Liz Taylor and all those A-listers there in Dec 1991 saluting her is truly something. Especially with more insight to the hysteria of the time of AIDs, HIV and the then recent loss of Freddie Mercury...it is then that you truly have alternative perspectives of Madonna across that era...my favourite era of Madonnas legacy 1989 - 1993 :cool:

Thanks so so much for posting that video, i do wish more people....especially perhaps younger audiences will see that and realise fanwar spats are plain rediculous....
  • madiain28madiain28 Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No artist is truly original or unique. Just as no person is truly unique or original. We all take inspiration and ideas from everything we see and sense around us. Yes certain aspects of Any artists career is defined by what they listened to growing up and what they watched. Madonna broke many boundaries musically and visually for a female artist which has led to her having longevity and been inspirational for many younger artists.
    Since many of the taboos and boundaries are no longer and we now live in a society were Internet and instant fame through mass media are accessible to everyone there are very little boundaries to break for new younger artists. This appears to cause the mass hysteria that troll bloggers and fanatic fans can't cope with. Especially the Bieber, Gaga and One Direction. This obsession with originality and who's copying who. Madonna has never claimed she has not been influenced or used others material in mixes and mash ups or that she has taken inspiration from designers or other stars. Just as Lady Gaga would never claim she hasn't copied or took inspiration from Madonna. The only people who make these ludicrous claims are obsessive fans that since Internet now gives them a ridiculous voice. The only difference us 15 years ago no one could get mass publication without it being checked for validity and fact. Now we live in a society that everyone's a music critic, style guru and appears to be obsessed with someone either in a admiring or hating way.
    At the end of the day you either like or dislike an artists music if that person inspires you or makes you feel good does it really matter what anyone else likes. Lets be honest Madonna is going to continue making music her fans myself included will continue to buy it. She's generated enough income to be very wealthy for the rest of her life without having to sell another track.
    What people don't like they make up just as the media does nowadays.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Bananarama thing was Pete Waterman using Madonna's name to promote THEM. .

sounds about right, watertwit has made a living by pinching other people ideas.
This discussion has been closed.