Why do some people dislike our silly childrens programme?

Comments

• dvirgodvirgo Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    I don't see the point of entertaining the opinions of people who join a forum just to annoy fans of a particular TV show. They don't have to like Doctor Who, its fine to hate it but its weird to actively get in the face of folks that actually like it. Its like they're trying to change your mind or just Jealous that we find joy in something.

I'm not a fan of Downton Abbey, I have no desire to seek out fans and call them misguided. Whats the point in that, its kind of bullying
  • NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dvirgo wrote: »
    I don't see the point of entertaining the opinions of people who join a forum just to annoy fans of a particular TV show. They don't have to like Doctor Who, its fine to hate it but its weird to actively get in the face of folks that actually like it. Its like they're trying to change your mind or just Jealous that we find joy in something.

I'm not a fan of Downton Abbey, I have no desire to seek out fans and call them misguided. Whats the point in that, its kind of bullying

Forums = Behind a screen = Anonymity = Say whatever ya' like!
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eh, each to their own.
    I have no idea why any human would lower themselves to watch the likes of the XFactor...and yet, they do. People like some things and people hate some things...and some people like to rave about the things they like and moan about the things they don't.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dear god is that thread still running, an awful lot of discussion for a show thats a failure.

I think the phrase " i think the lady doth protest too much" may be applicable here….
  • ClackersClackers Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am quite a big fan of DW, but even I don't like people who dress up in Dalek costumes and paint their faces green like a Silurian, just so they can get Matt Smiff's autograph. :rolleyes:

They are grown adults, for goodness sakes. Nobody will ever respect you for that kind of deranged fandom, regardless of whether it's for DW, Merlin, Sherlock, LOTR, Hunger Games, Star Wars, Star Trek, Harry Potter, etc....

Fans like that bring a bad name to a franchise, IMO.

After leaving school you are supposed to prove that you are an adult and are achieving things in life, like starting a family, getting a mortgage etc.

Yet some DW fans seem to think life is judged by who bids the highest for classic series Cybermen figurines on eBay, just so they can add to their collection in the basement! :rolleyes:

And like I said, it's not specific to DW - an aviation fan can enjoy flying around the world without having to build a model airport in his garage to play with after work. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clackers wrote: »
    I am quite a big fan of DW, but even I don't like people who dress up in Dalek costumes and paint their faces green like a Silurian, just so they can get Matt Smiff's autograph. :rolleyes:

They are grown adults, for goodness sakes. Nobody will ever respect you for that kind of deranged fandom, regardless of whether it's for DW, Merlin, Sherlock, LOTR, Hunger Games, Star Wars, Star Trek, Harry Potter, etc....

After leaving school you are supposed to prove that you are an adult and are achieving things in life, like starting a family, getting a mortgage etc.

Yet some DW fans seem to think life is judged by who bids the highest for classic series Cybermen figurines on eBay, just so they can add to their collection in the basement! :rolleyes:

And like I said, it's not specific to DW - an aviation fan can enjoy flying around the world without having to build a model airport in his garage to play with after work. :o

You are my favourite troll this year.

Like a sci-fi Mary Whitehouse.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I left school a long time ago, been there done that, bought the T shirt, decided it was all overrated and traded in my T shirt for a Dalek costume. Loads more fun.

And if you think life is about "proving" things to other people then you are doomed to constant unhappiness. Just do things you like* and ignore their criticisms!

*As long as it's not illegal, of course. ;)
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I left school a long time ago, been there done that, bought the T shirt, decided it was all overrated and traded in my T shirt for a Dalek costume. Loads more fun.

And if you think life is about "proving" things to other people then you are doomed to constant unhappiness. Just do things you like* and ignore their criticisms!

*As long as it's not illegal, of course. ;)

For example, some people might think it's a bit sad trolling an internet forum for kicks, but me, I say live and let live…..:)
  • WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eh, each to their own.
    I have no idea why any human would lower themselves to watch the likes of the XFactor...and yet, they do. People like some things and people hate some things...and some people like to rave about the things they like and moan about the things they don't.

I watch The X Factor, perhaps you could enlighten me as to how exactly I have "lowered" myself?
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eh, each to their own.
    WelshNige wrote: »
    I watch The X Factor, perhaps you could enlighten me as to how exactly I have "lowered" myself?

I was going to say the same thing Welshnige. I do get tired of seeing this sort of comment on here. I watch X-Factor(Well, some of it anyway) and I don't feel the need to justify watching it to anyone and I also don't feel I should be castigated for watching it because of someone else's hatred towards it.

:)
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I take it you have never been to a fancy dress party then? What do you think they dress up for?
  • dvirgodvirgo Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    Forums = Behind a screen = Anonymity = Say whatever ya' like!

It does but what do they gain? whats the point?
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its not just other people. There seems an almost relentless seam of negativity and self loathing among some fans who make liking and watching it sound like some exercise in duty and masochism that brings only pain and anger. If its not the show runner its the doctor or a writer or the music or the story arcs or a companion or an old doctor who won't return or the old show runner etc etc. I find it all very bizarre.

Of course you do get alot of people seemingly pretending to be fans to wind people up on a forum. Which when you think about it for too long isn't so much annoying as utterly, utterly tragic.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also 'Achieving things in life like starting a family and getting a mortgage' gave me the loudest chuckle of the day so thanks for that.

D -
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,920
    Forum Member
    a) How comes that thread hasn't been moved to the Doctor Who forum, where it can be shown the full respect that it deserves?

b) Why has it not been banned anyway or are we allowed to use potty mouths now?
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's cool to bash popular stuff and be a rebel. (actually it is sad but I am just explaining the mindset.)
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    dvirgo wrote: »
    It does but what do they gain? whats the point?

Because, like the Daily Mail, they get off on upsetting their readers.
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,920
    Forum Member

Some fans like to dress up, others do not. I say each to their own so long as they're not harming or hurting anyone else but feel free to take the moral high ground and keep judging people.

Good luck with the whole mortgage and family thing, that sounds like fun.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 426
    Forum Member

I've worked for 27 years, married and raised a family, paid my mortgage and i buy the odd Doctor Who product here and there too. Why that would bother you is anyones guess. weighing it up, I'd rather have my happy life than your mean-spirited, condescending one anyday.