Looking for advice on a TomTom - can't decide between two models

Hi all,

Looking to buy a TomTom in the next few days, only want a basic ('ish) model and can't decide between two:

TomTom ONE EU
or
TomTom ONE XL EU

Can't see any major differences expect the second one supports bluetooth.

Anyone got either and can offer advice?

Thanks!

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The XL also has a larger screen.

Of the two I would go for the XL. The bluetooth capability can be very useful if you have a mobile phone with bluetooth.

I have a 510 with bluetooth and that can be used as a handsfree kit for the phone. If the phone allows it the TomTom can even read it's phone book and let you dial from the touch screen!

But perhaps more useful are the Plus features. For instance you can download speed camera data, weather reports and such like. If you are prepared to cough up 30 quid or so a year you can also subscribe to their traffic info service.

This downloads traffic info via GPRS on your mobile at whatever interval you set and shows up any delays on your route. Can be handy if there is a major accident and one of the roads is closed say as you can easily get it to replan a route around the problem.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply - useful info.

Can I just check a couple of things...

I had a brief go on a friends 520 (?) using the bluetooth handsfree mode - it didn't seem to work very well. I could hear the caller, but they really struggled to make out my voice above the background noise. Is this normal?

Also, are the plus features you mention (speed cameras, weather, etc) free or subscription as well?

I think you are right about going for the XL - the larger screen would be a plus.

Cheers :D
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest I have never used the handsfree part of my TomTom. Mind you it is hardly surprising the quality of the send audio is so bad.

You would normally mount the unit very close to the windscreen so the distance between your mouth and the mic in the TomTom is rather more than is optimal. And I seriously doubt that the mic in the TomTom is that good either. On the 510 the mic is a minute thing buried deep inside the top of the unit with a 1mm hole to let the sound in!

The pro audio engineer in me tells me this is not a recipe for good audio quality. Even a "proper" hands free kit can struggle and that is with the mic mounted in a far better position in most cases.

Though to be fair my unit did come with a separate plug in mic with a tie clip attachment (bit like the things you see presenters wearing on the telly) which would probably improve matters no end. I just can't be arsed to set it all up :D

And the IAM member in me says you should not be using the phone whilst driving anyway, handfree kit or not :)

Most of the Plus services are subscription, except the weather. Though I did get a free Speed Camera subscription when I got my 510. But then that was part of a special bundle from Currys which included the useless TMS receiver (picks up a signal broadcast by some radio stations in the RDS system - or at least it is suposed to, mine never seemed to work!) so I can't be sure if that was part of the deal.

Though I don't use the TomTom Speed camera database anyway. I have a free lifetime subscription to the PocketGPS World camera database. Which I find is better than TomTom's. And the subscription is cheaper (even if you DO have to pay for it unlike me :) )And if you submit a camera location to them you too can get it free
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    Thanks once again for your useful feedback/comments.

Think I will go for the XL model......(reaches for wallet...) :D
  • BeachballBeachball Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Though I don't use the TomTom Speed camera database anyway. I have a free lifetime subscription to the PocketGPS World camera database. Which I find is better than TomTom's. And the subscription is cheaper (even if you DO have to pay for it unlike me :) )And if you submit a camera location to them you too can get it free

I'll second that. I've used their speed camera database for almost three years now and recommend it over Tom Tom's anyday. :cool: