Options

Before Midnight

Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
Forum Member
We don't seem to have a thread on this yet. I absolutely loved Before Sunrise and Before Sunset and have both on DVD. Now the third film in the series is on release. The story moves forward with Jesse and Celine married and on holiday in Greece.

I'm going to see this on Wednesday and I can't wait. The film's getting great reviews from practically all the critics that matter and some are saying it's the best of the series.

Anyone else seen it or going to see it?

Comments

• Options
    babeloguebabelogue Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw it this afternoon and it was very good. Not as good as before sunset in my opinion, but a fantastic addition to the series. It's quite different to the other two films, so watch with an open mind. The script is fantastic as well, some real funny lines which I wasn't expecting! Enjoy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    Can't wait to see this! I have the other movies on DVD and they're my fave films. Before Sunrise is on BBC1 tonight! :)
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this this evening, really was wonderful, superb script and performances from the two lead cast members, who are as compelling as ever,

This film, to me, is an honest evolution of the characters..the idealism of youth has been decayed by cynicism that highlights the characters flaws more than prior films, but this only serves to make them feel more real and relatable, and indeed, more likeable in the end.

In a sense, I do feel like I have grown up with this trilogy of films, and it's poignant for me to reflect on the youth that I was through the eyes of this film as someone in there late 30's now.

If there was any justice in the world this would be shortlisted for at least best screenplay nods come awards season, but probably will sadly be overlooked.

9/10
  • Options
    Froggie72Froggie72 Posts: 5,733
    Forum Member
    I'd like to see this movie, but I haven't seen "Before Sunrise" and "Before Sunset". Do I need to see those first to make sense and enjoy the third instalment??
  • Options
    babeloguebabelogue Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All three films do stand alone, but I'd really recommend you watch them in order. It's a fantastic series of films, and you'll get more out of them if you watch the full series.

Also, they're very talky, so you might think before midnight is dull without knowing what has gone before!
  • Options
    Froggie72Froggie72 Posts: 5,733
    Forum Member
    babelogue wrote: »
    All three films do stand alone, but I'd really recommend you watch them in order. It's a fantastic series of films, and you'll get more out of them if you watch the full series.

Also, they're very talky, so you might think before midnight is dull without knowing what has gone before!

Thanks Babelogue :) I'll do some catching up then.
  • Options
    PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Saw this this evening, really was wonderful, superb script and performances from the two lead cast members, who are as compelling as ever,

This film, to me, is an honest evolution of the characters..the idealism of youth has been decayed by cynicism that highlights the characters flaws more than prior films, but this only serves to make them feel more real and relatable, and indeed, more likeable in the end.

In a sense, I do feel like I have grown up with this trilogy of films, and it's poignant for me to reflect on the youth that I was through the eyes of this film as someone in there late 30's now.

If there was any justice in the world this would be shortlisted for at least best screenplay nods come awards season, but probably will sadly be overlooked.

9/10

totally agree with this.

..and julie delpy should at the very least get an oscar nom.

i too feel like i've grown up with these characters, almost like i 'own' them. the final scene was incredibly moving - and for once it was genuine, earned emotion, not the usual hollywood sentimentalism
  • Options
    jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow absolutely loved this.

Have watched all of them now and was blown away by this movie. The raw emotions between both and how the continued story of their lives were shown in all its reality.

Acting fabulous as was the cinematography.:cool: