Natual Born Killers and other controversial violent movies

laurence1870laurence1870 Posts: 213
Forum Member
Natural Born Killers is one of my favourite movies, but reading about the real-life crime it apparently inspired is shocking. My question is would you shun a movie because of such controversies? And should filmmakers hold any responsibility for the possible copycat crimes NBK and similar movies inspire?

In my view movies are a work of fiction and if someone can be so easily motivated to commit such atrocities then the blame lies solely on them.

Comments

• AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Natural Born Killers is one of my favourite movies, but reading about the real-life crime it apparently inspired is shocking. My question is would you shun a movie because of such controversies? And should filmmakers hold any responsibility for the possible copycat crimes NBK and similar movies inspire?

In my view movies are a work of fiction and if someone can be so easily motivated to commit such atrocities then the blame lies solely on them.

It's a case of life imitating art imitating life. Serial killers, etc. existed before these movies, NBK itself is a reflection of society, so I don't think such things should be held accountable, and that includes video games, tv, etc. I'd certainly not shun a movie because someone copied it in some way. Clockwwork Orange is one of my favourite movies, and that inspired copycat incidents which made the director pull the movie himself, but it never inspired me to go out and commit a bit of the old ultra-violence.

As you say, the blame lies with those who commit such atrocities. If it wasn't one particular movie that inspired them, it would have been something else. Just look at the Manson Family - Charles Manson was inspired by the Beatles White album of all things.
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    Don't forget that Taxi Driver, supposedly inspired a Presidential assassination attempt.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For the uninitiated...which particular events are both of these movies supposed to have inspired?
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    John Hinckley Jnr. - who attempted to kill President Reagan. He was obsessed with the film Taxi Driver.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    So the question lies in what made them so easily motivated in the first place. There might be an arguement that regardless of its fictitious nature, certain aspects of cinema can be inflammatory enough to 'light the fuse' (as it were) of certain disturbed individuals. But to say these are what made them disturbed initially is another matter altogether.

I suppose the whole issue simply springs from the power of culture, something that can only really be monitored rather than controlled. Look at the alleged role The Catcher in the Rye played regarding Lennon's killer Mark Chapman for instance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the uninitiated...which particular events are both of these movies supposed to have inspired?

After Clockwork Orange, a homelass man was kicked to death in similar circumstances to a scene from the film, and a girl was raped by a gang singing Singin’ in the Rain from a key scene in the film.

NBK does have the record for the most copycat crimes apparently:
    The natural place to start any discussion of this topic is Natural Born Killers, the film that has inspired the greatest determinable wave of copycat killings: not only has it been associated with the highest number of separate killing sprees but it is also the one film where the killers definitively admit that the film was the source of their actions. Unsurprisingly, Tarantino was involved in the writing of a film which involves a couple who embark on a spate of glorified murders that ultimately catapult the killers into stardom. That this film spawned a series of real-life killings constitutes a matryoshka doll of twists that M. Night Shyamalan could only dream of: the film’s homicidal lovers Mickey and Mallory Knox were themselves based on the serial exploits of the real-life couple Charles Starkweather and Caril Ann Fugate.
    The most famous killings allegedly caused by Natural Born Killers were committed by the couple Sarah Edmonson and Benjamin Darrus: famous neither for the number of victims (2) nor any specific modus operandi (the killers dropped LSD and watched the film several times before shooting two victims soon after), but for the unsuccessful legal action brought by the victims’ family and friends (most notably, legal fiction author John Grisham) against the creators of the film that challenged the First Amendment of the Constitution itself. Natural Born Killers was also an influence for the perpetrators of the Columbine massacre, with the phrase “going NBK” in the journal entries of Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold signaling the start of their rampage. Jeremy Steinke claimed on an audio tape that the slaughter of his girlfriend’s parents and brother was his love legacya la Natural Born Killers.

In addition to these, some other crimes have been significantly influenced by Natural Born Killers:

* The decapitation of a 13 year old Texan girl by a 14 year old boy who wanted “to be famous like the Natural Born Killers”.
    * Nathan Martinez murdering his mother and sister after becoming obsessed with the film.
    * Angus Wallan and Kara Winn murdering their roommate.
    * Eric Tavulares murdering Lauren Aljubouri halfway through watching the film.

Films that inspired real life crimes
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arguably a bigger problem is the way real news media treat real spree killers. As pointed out in Newswipe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    Arguably a bigger problem is the way real news media treat real spree killers. As pointed out in Newswipe.

Yes, that is defiityely a bigger problem, and actually the whole premise of NBK, the way the media turns these killers into stars, makes them famous, or at least infamous. I'd say that type of news coverage is far more responsible than any movies about the same subjects. Fact, especially when presented in a glamourised way, will always trump fiction as it's harder to dismiss or ignore when it's plastered all over the TV 24 hours a day in a rolling news format.
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, anyone who immitates a movie is unstable and therefore a ticking time bomb to begin with. I don't believe that they wouldn't have comitted the crime had the film not been made, it would have been something else.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How come no one has blamed Amy Schumer or Judd Apatow for last week's shooting?
  • FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about Cannibal Holocaust?
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FIFA1966 wrote: »
    What about Cannibal Holocaust?

What real-life crime did it inspire :confused:
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wasn't there a murderer in Canada "inspired" by Dexter?

Tbh these people are just crazy/evil. Millions watch these films and don't commit violent acts.
  • FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What real-life crime did it inspire :confused:

The director was arrested and charged because the law thought that the people that died in the film died for real and not faked.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,257
    Forum Member
    "You sick fu*ks. You've seen one too many movies"

"Now Sid, don't you blame the movies. Movies don't create psychos. Movies make psychos move creative"
  • Payne by namePayne by name Posts: 3,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should watch Rampage. One of the few, if not only, decent films that Uwe Boll has ever made.

It's hard to reconcile whilst watching it that it was 'allowed' to be made.
  • coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James Schoenfeld, a kidnapper was inspired by Dirty Harry.
    A convicted kidnapper who kept 26 children and a school bus driver in a buried trailer has been granted his freedom - after the governor of California didn't object to parole.
    James Schoenfeld, 63, kidnapped the bus carrying the group then buried them alive in a chilling heist inspired by the film Dirty Harry.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3180319/Governor-weighs-parole-California-school-bus-kidnapper.html
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The notion that a film or even piece of music has the ability to inspire people to kill is complete nonsense.

There are two main factors here. One is the media, who will always desperately look for comparisons, similarities in such cases to films, music etc. Such is the case that if a particular crime resembles one from a movie, that link and comparison will be made even if the protagonist was not inspired by it. Because familiarity is key in such cases when reported by the media. A person being killed is not a front page news story, but a person killed in a manner that can be linked to a film is much easier to sell.

One of the most famous examples of this is the Bulger killing and Childs Play 3. No connection whatsoever, no resemblance to what happened in the movie, and only a tenuous link that the parents may have once rented out the movie at some point...but no evidence the boys actually watched the film. Yet the media went to town on it, so much so that there were bonfires of the video's being burnt.

The second factor is the mindset of the killer. Such people are disturbed individuals and at some point something is going to trigger them, and it could be absolutely anything. And of course blaming a movie for their actions is a way of trying to shift blame...it wasn't me guv, the film made me do it. Never works. And nor should it.

So this nonsense of blaming movies for the actions of others despite what they may claim, is just that...nonsense. Frankly if it were true, then every single one of us would be prompted to do the same after watching a film.

But we don't.

Nonsense.
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member

I think that a copycat killer would always have killed anyway and if the event they reference - whatever that may be (NBK here) - didn't exist then they would have found another. I think NBK in your case only influences the method of the killer rather than acts as the motivating factor.

That's always been my general view on the issue of (e.g.) whether a lack of censorship causes crimes. Must admit I haven't read into the NBK case though.