Options

What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• Options
    Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just finished reading Dead Simple by Peter James, which is set in Brighton and the surrounding area. I've now started a new audio book and within the first couple of chapters have been taken back to C I D HQ in Brighton - a spooky coincidence! The audiobook in question is Broken Homes by Ben Aaronovitch, read by Kobna Holdbrook-Smith. It's the latest in the Rivers Of London series and starts off with a fatal accident on a roundabout at Pease Pottage near Crawley. I drive round that roundabout occasionally and shall take extra care next time!

I'm about to start The Breath of Night by Michael Arditti on my Kindle. Philip Seward is sent to the Philippines
    by the family of a Catholic priest. Seward is charged with investigating both the priest's mysterious death some thirty years previously and also the cult that has grown up around him in the ensuing years, which has led to calls for him to be made a saint. Reviewers have compared this to books by Graham Greene and Evelyn Waugh. They're two of my favourite authors so I'm hoping for great things here.
  • Options
    bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit by Judith Kerr

The Adventures of Captain Hatteras by Jules Verne

The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
  • Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    Ghost Music by Graham Masterson.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    Just finished The Wrath of Angels by John Connolly. Brilliant.
  • Options
    harry*half*pintharry*half*pint Posts: 11,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished Dominion (would only give it a generous 6/10)

Now reading The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult (a 99p Kindle purchase)
  • Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inherit The Dead - multiple crime authors edited by Lee Child
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pride And Prejudice And Zombies; Jane Austen Seth Grahame-Smith -- the classic Regency romance -- now with ultraviolent zombie mayhem.

“Girls! Pentagram of Death!”... :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Making another attempt to finish Stephen King's The Stand.
    I have the, seemingly completely unedited version, which I put aside after about 300 pages because it was so slow paced.
    Gone back to it now and things seem to be finally moving a bit -
    I'll try and persevere with it this time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MrQuike wrote: »
    Pride And Prejudice And Zombies; Jane Austen Seth Grahame-Smith -- the classic Regency romance -- now with ultraviolent zombie mayhem.

“Girls! Pentagram of Death!”... :D
    Crikey :eek:
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Playboy Magazine November 1972 Edition.

There's some really interesting articles to digest.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    Have just finished Port Mortuary by Patricia Cornwell. This was the first book of hers that I've read and I'll try another couple just to see if that annoying Scarpetta woman grows on me!

Now reading The Concrete Blonde by Michael Connelly. Really enjoying it so far.
  • Options
    Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Lucy Anne Holmes- Unlike a virgin
  • Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tap on the Window - Linwood Barclay
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have just finished Port Mortuary by Patricia Cornwell. This was the first book of hers that I've read and I'll try another couple just to see if that annoying Scarpetta woman grows on me!

Now reading The Concrete Blonde by Michael Connelly. Really enjoying it so far.

It gets worse!
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yvie123 wrote: »
    Making another attempt to finish Stephen King's The Stand.
    I have the, seemingly completely unedited version, which I put aside after about 300 pages because it was so slow paced.
    Gone back to it now and things seem to be finally moving a bit -
    I'll try and persevere with it this time.

I have just started the second reading of this. I read it years ago so it is all quite fresh. It is worth sticking to because it totally draws the reader in.
  • Options
    Cellar_DoorCellar_Door Posts: 2,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm halfway through Orphan Train at the moment, nothing mind blowingly original, but enjoyable enough.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    I have just started the second reading of this. I read it years ago so it is all quite fresh. It is worth sticking to because it totally draws the reader in.

I'm getting there - I'm over 400 pages in and I'm starting to finally get hooked!
    I'm not surprised that the original version was somewhat edited though - but then I can be a bit of an impatient reader sometimes, in fairness:o:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    Bringing Up The Bodies Hilary Mantel

is this as difficult to read as wolf hall?
  • Options
    kate03kate03 Posts: 4,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sue_C wrote: »
    I've made a start on two new books.

My new audiobook is The Ocean At The End Of The Lane, written and read by Neil Gaiman. It's shaping up very well so far, a pity that it's such a short book.

My Kindle book is Dead Simple by Peter James, the first Roy Grace book. Very promising, hopefully it will be a good new series to get into.

Have read all of Peter James' Roy Grace series. Excellent. You won't be disappointed. :)

Have just finished Jean Plaidy's two Queen of Scots books. Excellent...but infuriating and tragic.

About to finish 'Takedown' by Brad Thor. Well written political Al Qaeda action type book.

Next on the list is Dominion by C.J. Sansom :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kate03 wrote: »

Next on the list is Dominion by C.J. Sansom :)

I've just started that- read first couple of chapters and it's very easy to read :)

also reading Maddadam- the third in Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake trilogy.
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
  • Options
    Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Tania Carver - The Doll's House
  • Options
    the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is this as difficult to read as wolf hall?

I didn't find either difficult to read. On the contrary, I found the almost stream of consciousness style very readable. However if you didn't like the narrative style of Wolf Hall then you won't like Bring Up The Bodies as it is of course similar given that they're part of a trilogy.
  • Options
    jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    I read Wolf Hall a while ago, didn't like the style so didn't bother with Bring Up the Bodies.

I'm reading Gone Girl at the moment.
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Metro 2033. Pretty decent so far minus the translation mistakes.