The Good Cook - Fridays 7.30pm BBC1

1235»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Oh! Forgot to say that tonight I'm cooking Simon's recipe for lamb breast with onions... Cheap and smells delicious (so far).
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    He's inspired me to roast a chicken
  • kate1kate1 Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    So I will ask again AGAIN what are you all cooking - I dont know, for me I will never ever cook a processed meal never - it would be like a sin - when things are so simple to do yourselves. Least you know when youve cooked it, you know whats in it.
    Forum Member
    kate1 wrote: »
    So I will ask again AGAIN what are you all cooking - I dont know, for me I will never ever cook a processed meal never - it would be like a sin - when things are so simple to do yourselves. Least you know when youve cooked it, you know whats in it.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1447786
    Forum Member
    Interesting comment about that fennel dish loaded with parmesan. He said it would be a perfect vegetarian dish.
    Parmesan cheese isn't veggie is it?
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Interesting comment about that fennel dish loaded with parmesan. He said it would be a perfect vegetarian dish.

No, it isn't. Good point!
  • QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once again, seeming nobody has answered, what the hell is this nation cooking - that this guy inspires, can nobody do a dressing for a salad - Lemon, oil, salt and pepper, simples

And a pinch of sugar too, but no oil. This is exactly how I dress my salads, no need ever to buy bottled dressings which is too oily for me.
  • PompeyBillPompeyBill Posts: 7,409
    Forum Member
    Once again, seeming nobody has answered, what the hell is this nation cooking - that this guy inspires, can nobody do a dressing for a salad - Lemon, oil, salt and pepper, simples

Personally I'm glad that the series has finished so you finally shut up. Try to realise that others liked the programme and learnt something from it, others aren't experts or experienced cooks (like yourself, and aren't we all impressed I'm sure) and learnt some useful tips and ideas. I like cooking, but I'm not a real expert, and the programme gave me some pointers about things I haven't done, or thought to try, before. Sorry you don't appreciate that, maybe if you weren't so wrapped up in your own self importance and experience you might do though.
  • kingofcakeskingofcakes Posts: 2,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PompeyBill wrote: »
    Personally I'm glad that the series has finished so you finally shut up. Try to realise that others liked the programme and learnt something from it, others aren't experts or experienced cooks (like yourself, and aren't we all impressed I'm sure) and learnt some useful tips and ideas. I like cooking, but I'm not a real expert, and the programme gave me some pointers about things I haven't done, or thought to try, before. Sorry you don't appreciate that, maybe if you weren't so wrapped up in your own self importance and experience you might do though.

This.
    With all programmes that aim to teach the audience something be it cooking or a history programme etc, there will always be someone who already has the knowledge being given out, doesn't mean everyone will.
    Forum Member
    JulesF wrote: »
    No, it isn't. Good point!
    I'm sure if you're a strict veggie you would already know that but it would have been nice if he gave a tip about using an alternative hard cheese suitable for vegetarians.
    Not that it bothers me too much :D
  • GlengavelGlengavel Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

If he's a proper chef then he shouldn't really be pandering to the vegetarian/vegan window lickers.
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,544
    Forum Member
    It's vegans who don't eat anything to do with animals at all, some vegetarians have dairy products and eggs or eat one of those, so Simon was right really:)
    Forum Member
    It's nothing about pandering to veggies it's just how you determine what a veggie dish is. Is it just lack of meat?
    I realise that veggies eat eggs and drink milk but is renet a similar product? Surely it's a by product of the un-natural death of an animal?
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,544
    Forum Member
    Not all cheeses are made with animal rennet, you can get non-animal rennet. You'd think a vegetarian wouldn't eat an animal rennet cheese, but if they're a lacto-veggie then it wouldn't make much difference I suppose since they have milk and other dairy anyway:D Any vegetarians on here who can answer that?:)
    Forum Member
    But apparently you can't get veggie Parmesan. You could look for an alternative hard cheese which is why I thought he would have mentioned it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the parmesan debate from vegetarian society

http://www.vegsoc.org/page.aspx?pid=850

We’d like veggies to have a nice cheesy smile on their face when eating out, watching cookery programmes or reading recipes – but there’s a problem: Often dishes and products claiming to be vegetarian use Parmesan.

Parmesan/Parmigiano-Reggiano is an EU Protected Designation of Origin product and has to be made using calf rennet, so it’s definitely not suitable for vegetarians.

Businesses, chefs, journalists and restaurant owners
    Make sure your dishes are vegetarian:

leave out the Parmesan/Parmigiano-Reggiano
    don’t call dishes using Parmesan/Parmigiano-Reggiano vegetarian
    use a vegetarian alternative
    label clearly, if you are using a vegetarian cheese be proud and say so.

Alternatives to Parmesan - Currently there are two veggie alternatives approved by the Vegetarian Society, they are Bookhams Not Just a Pasta Cheese and Parmazano.

Find out more about cheese with our fact sheet.
  • lebbon1985lebbon1985 Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    I really liked this series. Does anyone know if this series is making a return?
    Forum Member
    Just noticed that Good Food are repeating this series as well as a recent Nigel Slater series.