HD over VGA?

I'm buying a 32" LCD 1080p television in a few weeks which has a VGA input socket. If I was to download HD content from the internet, such as a high definition episode of 24 or Lost, could I watch this in high definition on the TV simply by connecting my Laptop to the TV via VGA? Or would I need a video card with a HD output (such as HDMI or DVI) to watch the programme in HD?

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    You can obviously watch it in HD, just as you could with a computer monitor (which is what it is).
  • SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    You can obviously watch it in HD, just as you could with a computer monitor (which is what it is).

Fantastic.

So what is the point of DVI?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Somner wrote: »
    Fantastic.

So what is the point of DVI?

A DVI socket on a PC will be used to feed the monitor with a digital signal not an analogue one which for me improves the picture. The use of HDMI (well HDCP) really on the modern graphics card is to allow the playback of genuine HD retail disks whose DRM block any analogue/non HDCP outputs (in theory).

For playing back unprotected HD content (HD downloads) then VGA is fine as is DVI, HDMI and even Component which many cards provide for.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    That's surely not correct! Most (all??) LCD TV sets put severe restrictions on the signal that the VGA socket will accept. Recent Sonys (KDL-40W2000) will only accept 1024x768 for example.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'HD' is just a definition for either 720p or 1080i/p. Most PC's graphics card can output at this resolution, so when you feed your LCD TV with any resolution above 720p then it will be 'HD'.
    BKM wrote: »
    That's surely not correct! Most (all??) LCD TV sets put severe restrictions on the signal that the VGA socket will accept.
    Yes there are 'restrictions' on resolution inputs - i.e. called supported resolutions, but wouldn't you say that a HD LCD TV would at least support 720p?
    Recent Sonys (KDL-40W2000) will only accept 1024x768 for example.
    This is completely untrue. Read the manual for the supported resolution on VGA. It supports VGA, SVGA, XGA, and WXGA.
    Forum Member
    son_t wrote: »
    'HD' is just a definition for either 720p or 1080i/p. Most PC's graphics card can output at this resolution, so when you feed your LCD TV with any resolution above 720p then it will be 'HD'.

Yes there are 'restrictions' on resolution inputs - i.e. called supported resolutions, but wouldn't you say that a HD LCD TV would at least support 720p?

Yes - but the OP asked is he could download HD material and mentioned that he had a 1080p set. I think that there is a general expectation that, with a 1920x1080 panel, it should be possible to use it at this resolution from a PC via the VGA socket!

A Panasonic LCD I used was, at least, content with 1280x1024 (a very standard PC setting) and was, in this respect, better than the Sony!

I guess that these sets will work at full resolution via a PC DVI output (if available) and a DVI->HDMI cable?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There a big difference from what he wrote and what you think he expects! :) Also, my response was in reply to your response to Nigel's post.

Anyway to put you straight, you can get 1080p (on the HDMI, i.e. DVI->HDMI) on the KDL-40W2000. Even though there is a message saying the resolution is not supported, dismissing it will allow you to view the picture! (So I am lead to believe as I don't have the set.)
    Forum Member
    This is completely untrue. Read the manual for the supported resolution on VGA. It supports VGA, SVGA, XGA, and WXGA.
    Rubbish! I have THIS SET at home!!!!!! It is you who have not read the manual!

From http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Sony-KDL40W2000/Design.php for example- for HDMI, the Sony accepts up to 1080p signals but only 1080i in component and 1360x768 in VGA (PC input)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Follow the link to the PDF of the manual. Look at the first page, confirm that it is for the right model. Go to page GB39: PC Input Signal Reference Chart. Comfirm the supported modes...

Assuming the PC Input means the VGA input that is.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    That's surely not correct! Most (all??) LCD TV sets put severe restrictions on the signal that the VGA socket will accept. Recent Sonys (KDL-40W2000) will only accept 1024x768 for example.

I would hardly say it called for severe in bold?, it will be a damn good HD picture, and probably better quality than the compressed file it's being fed. Most HD Ready sets are only that resolution, and in side by side tests with full HD sets, from the same HD broadcast, you can barely tell any difference.
    Forum Member
    Follow the link to the PDF of the manual. Look at the first page, confirm that it is for the right model. Go to page GB39: PC Input Signal Reference Chart. Comfirm the supported modes...
    As YOUR manual says - "maximim supported input 1360x768" - which most laptops won't do (its non-standard resolution) - leaving 1024x768 as the maximum it can usefully be used at (just as I said!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As YOUR manual says - "maximim supported input 1360x768" - which most laptops won't do (its non-standard resolution) - leaving 1024x768 as the maximum it can usefully be used at (just as I said!)

You are having a laugh! :D To quote you from above:
    Recent Sonys (KDL-40W2000) will only accept 1024x768 for example.

Now, you've changed it to maximum supported and most laptops - where did this coming from - I supposed I should have expected this from you? :D:D:D

BTW the manual's from the Sony site: http://www.sony.co.uk/support/ShowExternalPage.action?product=KDL-40W2000&site=odw_en_GB&pageType=manualPopup&sectiontype=Support&externalUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fpdf.crse.com%2Fmanuals%2F2697124221.pdf&externalLinkType=manual