New Panasonic TXP55VT65 Concerns

I have just spent £2499.00 on a brand new 2013 model Panasonic Plasma TXP55VT65.

This is Panasonic new TV for 2013 it had raving reviews but the one I have I have some issues with it?

First off FAN Noise! Sitting at normal viewing distance and volume at a low level for night time viewing I can hear a whirring noise the same you might get from a desk top PC.

Second the viewing angle is very limited in the vertical plan? I.E. if you stand up the picture goes very dark? Sideways isn’t so bad?

Thirdly and more worrying is there is what looks like a “Crease” in the glass? The sort of thing you might expect on cheap quality Green House Glass? If you view the screen from the side and view reflections from the window on the screen then move your head ever so slight back and forth there is a crease running up the middle from the Panasonic name badge for about 4-5 inches.

If this was a mark on my car bonnet or door I would ask for a replacement car!

Do I expect to see these what I would call “Manufacturing defects” on a £2,500 tele?

Should I reject this set?

Comments

• boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pauls898 wrote: »
    I have just spent £2499.00 on a brand new 2013 model Panasonic Plasma TXP55VT65.

This is Panasonic new TV for 2013 it had raving reviews but the one I have I have some issues with it?

First off FAN Noise! Sitting at normal viewing distance and volume at a low level for night time viewing I can hear a whirring noise the same you might get from a desk top PC.

Second the viewing angle is very limited in the vertical plan? I.E. if you stand up the picture goes very dark? Sideways isn’t so bad?

Thirdly and more worrying is there is what looks like a “Crease” in the glass? The sort of thing you might expect on cheap quality Green House Glass? If you view the screen from the side and view reflections from the window on the screen then move your head ever so slight back and forth there is a crease running up the middle from the Panasonic name badge for about 4-5 inches.

Do I expect to see these what I would call “Manufacturing defects” on a £2,500 tele?

Those stes do have some meaty fans in so not surprising that some people complain about the noise, I'd get in touch with your vendor ASAP if the crease issue is a manufacturing fault.
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member

Is the TV up against a wall or in a corner? - Sometimes this can reflect or amplify the sound. Trouble is with massive screens like this they generate heat and in hot weather this can be worse.

Unfortunate side effect of the new light filters to make the screen look blacker in light environments. The 50 range had it last year. My GT50 does the same thing but it doesn't effect normal viewing or viewing from the sides.

Hmm shouldn't be there really. Never seen that on a Plasma before. That would constitute a returnable complaint.

The only thing I would class as a defect is the glass on the screen. If its as bad as you say and ruins viewing of the TV than its up to you. As for the other two.. the fan noise might dissipate if moved further from the wall.. the Dimming from above is the filter.
    Forum Member
    To add to my message above this may be of interest :

http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/1775475-panasonic-vt65-fan-noise.html
  • pauls898pauls898 Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    Thanks the Dealer has sent out an Engineer to examine the defect and will report back on what there going to do about it? I'm hoping for a complete replacement set as it's only a day old lol I shall mention to about this so call "Foam Fix" for the fan noise I found from reading though the above link.
    Thanks
    Forum Member
    An update, The dealer has agreed to a complete replacement of the set due to the flaw in the glass.

However I'm still not sure whether I have made the right choice here?

When reading the reviews of want a cracking picture etc etc wining the THX status, they don't mention this dame filter which you have to sit directly in front to view? If you stand up or lye down on the floor the picture goes all dark.

I have two issues with this, I like to view my TV while on my tread mill across the room? also as I suffer with back problem I sometimes have to view my TV while lying flat on the floor, neither of there’s scenarios work with this set :-( without get a dark muddy image :mad:

I don't know whether I should change it for the WT65 series and move to LED???

What do you guys think I should do?
  • hardeephardeep Posts: 2,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An update, The dealer has agreed to a complete replacement of the set due to the flaw in the glass.

When reading the reviews of want a cracking picture etc etc wining the THX status, they don't mention this dame filter which you have to sit directly in front to view? If you stand up or lye down on the floor the picture goes all dark.

I have two issues with this, I like to view my TV while on my tread mill across the room? also as I suffer with back problem I sometimes have to view my TV while lying flat on the floor, neither of there’s scenarios work with this set :-( without get a dark muddy image :mad:

To be honest from what you've said above the TV - despite glowing reviews etc. - isn't suitable for your needs.

For a £300 panel I might put up with the niggles but at £2500? I think you're going to have to bite the bullet and look for something else. (I guess this is where you find out how friendly the dealer you got the panel from is:) )
    Forum Member

The darkening of the filter shouldn't be that noticeable unless your far above or below the screen- Where is the TV ?
    Remember on LED - You wont get darkening but the pictures colour profile and especially black level will change when viewed side-on or from above.

Looking at mine it stands 40cm off the floor - level with the eye on the sofa. It doesn't fade when lying on the sofa or on the floor. Only when standing up and closer to the screen.

These screens are ideally suited to video/audiophiles. Best for home cinemas and critical viewing. Thats because when set up correctly they offer pictures close if not bang on reference quality. Sometimes these other factors like position and light etc come into play.

The only thing for me that taints this is the filter fade. However 90%+ people watch tv in the normal viewing plane. Many TV's due to the nature of living rooms are viewed from the side which Plasma is best suited for also.

For £2000+ you can still get LED TVs but they will still exhibit other issues and aren't quite as good £ for £. CNET just had a review on the top Samsung for over £2000 - it had really bad backlight bleed ... on a £2000+ TV !

Its a fact of life you will never ever find the perfect TV. Vision is a very picky subject.
    Forum Member
    A replacement set was suppose to arrive today, but due to a shortness of engineers as working on other jobs sadly it's stuck at the dealer :mad:
    Hopefully it will be delivered tomorrow then I can report back. Watch this space. :mad:
    Forum Member
    TV replaced today :-) at least this one has a flat screen free of creases lol However the fan noise on the left fan when looking at the front is the same and noisy, so I have actioned my dealer to complete the modification which Panasonic offer to include some strips of foam inside or what ever this so called fix consists of? If that doesn't work I shall have a go at making these Top Gun Vent's and attach those to the back of the set lol
  • PHPPHP Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    TV replaced today :-) at least this one has a flat screen free of creases lol However the fan noise on the left fan when looking at the front is the same and noisy, so I have actioned my dealer to complete the modification which Panasonic offer to include some strips of foam inside or what ever this so called fix consists of? If that doesn't work I shall have a go at making these Top Gun Vent's and attach those to the back of the set lol

Nobody seems to have had the foam fix yet, so be interesting to hear whether it is a success.

I've owned the 65VT65 for a month now, and the image quality is spectacular (get away from the presets though and open the pro modes). Although I can just about hear the fan (the right hand side fan as you view front on tv) late at night with tv muted and no room noise, I'm not going to bother getting the engineers out to do the foam modification.
    Forum Member
    Well I imformed my dealer about this fix, and the guy in the workshop was on the ball and has already orderred the parts lol So be interested as to what this involves? I said I didn't want the TV taken back to thier workshop, so I'm hoping they can do this small mod in my home. Mine is the left fan, but I think it has a lot to do with the TV's location WRT the solid wall behind. If I had thick curtains behind the TV I doubt I would here it, but it has this high pitch whirring like a LapTop would sound like, rathere than a gentle air movement sound like my old TH50PZ800 and that has 4 fan across the top lol
    Forum Member
    PHP - It would be good if you could share what your Pro Setting you are using? Values etc? I had a look but its like a mine field with so many things to adjust lol I just came back out thinking I'll have a go at that laters lol :)
    Forum Member
    Well I imformed my dealer about this fix, and the guy in the workshop was on the ball and has already orderred the parts lol So be interested as to what this involves? I said I didn't want the TV taken back to thier workshop, so I'm hoping they can do this small mod in my home. Mine is the left fan, but I think it has a lot to do with the TV's location WRT the solid wall behind. If I had thick curtains behind the TV I doubt I would here it, but it has this high pitch whirring like a LapTop would sound like, rathere than a gentle air movement sound like my old TH50PZ800 and that has 4 fan across the top lol

Initially I thought it was the left fan, but the sound travels in odd directions and can be deceptive and it was definitely the right fan.... which many others have found to be the culprit fan. However, you could just have a dodgy left fan.
    My VT65 is wall mounted, I view from about 10ft.
    PHP - It would be good if you could share what your Pro Setting you are using? Values etc? I had a look but its like a mine field with so many things to adjust lol I just came back out thinking I'll have a go at that laters lol :)

Having absolute faith in online settings isn't always the best way to get a great picture... there are so many variables such as environment, panel variance. The settings I use could well look awful on a smaller panel in a differennt environment. I have a dark room, not quite a bat cave.

All the same, I based mine on Steve Withers published 65VT65 settings, which seemed to me to be more appropriate than others I have seen, albeit I have altered some aspects to my personal taste, such as reduced basic colour saturation from 50 to 45. I also have IFC on min setting rather than off.
    Ultimately, I'll probably get the panel pro calibrated in the Autumn when it has a thousand or two hours on it.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/1779325-panasonic-tx-p65vt65-reviewers-recommended-best-settings.html
    Forum Member
    Thanks Will have a play, not been into the Advanced setting yet lol

Has anyone attemped to go into the hiden service menus to tweek the H Size, V size, H Pos and V Pos yet?

On all my other sets I like to tweek these ever so slightly, as with the set the H Pos is very slightly off and as I like to watch the screen with the Over Scan turned off, I'm getting a small amount of picture showing an edge down the right hand side? I Have a test card recorded from Sky HD which I use to set them up, and the arrow point are a bit out on Right and Left and Top and Bottom? by about 1/8 inch :-(
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    Has anyone attemped to go into the hiden service menus to tweek the H Size, V size, H Pos and V Pos yet?

Are there even adjustments for them?, most flat screens don't have any geometry adjustments, as there's no need for them.
    Forum Member
    Yes, well there were on every Panasonic Plasma model I've had upto now and they normally have the exact same hiden method of getting in there lol, but not tried it on this set at present, but I'd like to "nudge" the image across by 1/8 inch lol :)
    Forum Member
    Are there even adjustments for them?, most flat screens don't have any geometry adjustments, as there's no need for them.

Yep, deep down in the scary service options, where one wrong press on your remote will kill your tv, there are options for this.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    PHP wrote: »
    Yep, deep down in the scary service options, where one wrong press on your remote will kill your tv, there are options for this.

Not on most TV's :p

Perhaps it's mainly on Panasonics?.