Connecting PC Speakers to TV

I'm sure there are hundreds of variants of this thread already up on the forums but I've spent hours trying to figure out what I need to do connect a set of PC speakers to my tv and I'm still none the wiser. A little help would be much appreciated :)

Basically, I have a set of Microlab FC360 speakers which I'm looking to connect to an LG TV via the variable audio output. The speakers are 2.1 and have their own power source. They connect via a green 3.5mm jack, not via USB. As I have no clue about connecting external speakers I just assumed I could buy an RCA splitter like this, plug the speakers into one end and then the red and white into the audio output on the TV.

The more I read about it though, the more I read about amplifiers and digital to analog converters. I had no sound coming out the external speakers after connecting them to the TV via the above cable (after switching off the TV's built in speaker), so I assume I've done something wrong. If anybody could point out what I'm doing wrong that would be great.

Comments

• grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many connecting bands on the 3.5mm plug (There are normally 3 if it's a stereo plug). You need to check the adaptor you bought has a stereo socket.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RCA-Stereo-Audio-Splitter-Cable-Lead-3-5mm-Jack-Female-Socket-to-2-x-Male-Phono-/271176572471?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3f23621e37

The phono outputs may be muted with the speakers. You could try taking the audio from a scart socket using an adaptor.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCART-To-3-RCA-Composite-Phono-SVHS-S-Video-Adaptor-In-Out-Switch-GOLD-/400525350775?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item5d412bd777
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jimbob91 wrote: »
    I'm sure there are hundreds of variants of this thread already up on the forums but I've spent hours trying to figure out what I need to do connect a set of PC speakers to my tv and I'm still none the wiser. A little help would be much appreciated :)

Basically, I have a set of Microlab FC360 speakers which I'm looking to connect to an LG TV via the variable audio output. The speakers are 2.1 and have their own power source. They connect via a green 3.5mm jack, not via USB. As I have no clue about connecting external speakers I just assumed I could buy an RCA splitter like this, plug the speakers into one end and then the red and white into the audio output on the TV.

The more I read about it though, the more I read about amplifiers and digital to analog converters. I had no sound coming out the external speakers after connecting them to the TV via the above cable (after switching off the TV's built in speaker), so I assume I've done something wrong. If anybody could point out what I'm doing wrong that would be great.

Are you absolutely certain that what you plugged into was an Audio OUTPUT. Analogue outs are becoming as rare as rocking horse manure on modern TVs. So it is more likely that what you plugged into was an Audio INPUT which is of no use to you.

The options might be Headphone jack if the TV has one or a SCART output. Or a digital audio out with a suitable converter.

The problem you will have with the SCART/Digital outs is they are more than likely to be fixed level rather than vary with the volume control on the TV remote. So so handy if the volume on the speakers can't be remote controlled.

Last two LG tellys I've owned have not had any analogue audio outs on phonos. what model is yours? That would help give a more precise answer.
  • Jimbob91Jimbob91 Posts: 679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many connecting bands on the 3.5mm plug (There are normally 3 if it's a stereo plug). You need to check the adaptor you bought has a stereo socket.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RCA-Stereo-Audio-Splitter-Cable-Lead-3-5mm-Jack-Female-Socket-to-2-x-Male-Phono-/271176572471?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3f23621e37

Yep, there's 3
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Are you absolutely certain that what you plugged into was an Audio OUTPUT. Analogue outs are becoming as rare as rocking horse manure on modern TVs. So it is more likely that what you plugged into was an Audio INPUT which is of no use to you.

The options might be Headphone jack if the TV has one or a SCART output. Or a digital audio out with a suitable converter.

The problem you will have with the SCART/Digital outs is they are more than likely to be fixed level rather than vary with the volume control on the TV remote. So so handy if the volume on the speakers can't be remote controlled.

Last two LG tellys I've owned have not had any analogue audio outs on phonos. what model is yours? That would help give a more precise answer.

I plugged the RCA red and white end into something which says 'variable audio out'. It's quite an old model now, a 32LC51. Unfortunately the headphone socket's not an option as there isn't one on the TV.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, there's 3

I plugged the RCA red and white end into something which says 'variable audio out'. It's quite an old model now, a 32LC51. Unfortunately the headphone socket's not at option as there isn't one on the TV.

Variable means it will follow the speakers so as suspected will likely mute when you turn the speakers off. Hopefully the scart adaptor linked will solve the problem, Look for a 2 way arrow next to a scart socket indicating audio out as well as in is available.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I plugged the RCA red and white end into something which says 'variable audio out'. It's quite an old model now, a 32LC51. Unfortunately the headphone socket's not an option as there isn't one on the TV.
    Amazingly there is still a manual available to download for that TV

http://www.lg.com/uk/support-product/lg-32LC51#

It does indeed have analogue audio outs. What isn't 100% clear from the manual is if you have to turn off the TV speakers to enable this output or whether it works all the time. But if you haven't already try turning the TV Speakers off in the Audio menu.

Obviously if you turn the speakers down with the volume control that will also turn down this output. But you are not doing that are you?:o :D

The other thing to try is to use the adapter on something you know produces an output. If that also fails to make a noise from the speakers then the adapter could be faulty. I'm assuming you've plugged the speakers into something with a jack socket to check they do actually work?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Variable means it will follow the speakers so as suspected will likely mute when you turn the speakers off. Hopefully the scart adaptor linked will solve the problem, Look for a 2 way arrow next to a scart socket indicating audio out as well as in is available.
    The TV speakers can be muted independently of the variable out. I had an LG TV many years ago that worked that way.
  • Jimbob91Jimbob91 Posts: 679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    It does indeed have analogue audio outs. What isn't 100% clear from the manual is if you have to turn off the TV speakers to enable this output or whether it works all the time. But if you haven't already try turning the TV Speakers off in the Audio menu.

I did try this earlier to no avail, but I've just tried it again to be sure and success - I have speakers emitting sound! Not sure why it wasn't working earlier...

Thanks so much for your help guys, must have been something basic that I was messing up but we got there in the end :D