Hearing amplifier

Has anyone seen a thread where hearing amplfiers are discussed. Lots on Google, but I like the views of this forum if possible. My wife needs to turn the telly up quite a lot.

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you mean something that she can use to amplify the sound from the TV while you listen at a lower volume? eg something like this?

http://www.hearingdirect.com/products/Wireless-TV-Listeners/Amplicom-TV-150-Wireless-TV-Listener.html
  • diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    ^^
    I've bought some hearingdirect products for my ancient mother and they work well and reasonably priced.

And wireless earphones are a good deal less fiddly that hearing aids plus they don't need the battery changing every day or three.

Personally I'd opt for proper headphones which fit over the ear, something like this -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-RF810RK-RF-Wireless-Headphones/dp/B003I5W7UK/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1361284971&sr=1-3

Though hundreds of types are available.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    You are both on the right lines, but when I discussed these methods with my wife she realised that she definitely needs to get proper hearing aids which should address every eventuality, rather than just catering for TV needs. Many thanks.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,437
    Forum Member
    You are both on the right lines, but when I discussed these methods with my wife she realised that she definitely needs to get proper hearing aids which should address every eventuality, rather than just catering for TV needs. Many thanks.

You might just try headphones from the TV - most modernish Sony sets have menu settings for the headphone socket, so you can disable the speakers or not, and make it adjustable, or not. I notice you list a Panasonic TV in your details, that 'might' do the same? - Panasonic and Sony tend to follow each others features.
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hearing problems manifest in lots of different ways, but in general they can be summed up in two categories: general loss of sensitivity, or loss of sensitivity at specific frequencies.

What type of hearing loss your wife has will determine the type of solution that will work for her. A proper diagnosis is important. If it is frequency specific then just having something that makes the TV louder might not be so helpful. Intelligibility will suffer if the frequency imbalance isn't addressed.

The new digital hearing aids are programmed to redress the imbalance as well as providing a level boost. If she is going down this road then you should have a look at induction loop systems.