Excel 2010 Drop Down List Help

Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,923
Forum Member
✭✭
I ahve an absolutely huge spreadsheet of data at work. I have previously been using Excel 2003 at work. On this particular spreadsheet I had the data filtered so that I could just click the little arrow at the top of each column and it would display all of the data in drop down lists. However, I've just been upgraded to Excel 2010 at work and when I now click the little arrows, all of the data is displayed but you have to 'de-select' or 'select all' to get the data you want. Is there no way to just have it the same way I sued to like in Excel 2003? I can't use Data Validation as the particular spreadhseet is updated multiple times a day with information and so it would mean em cosntantly having to change the Data Validation settings/options etc.

Comments

• MigsterMigster Posts: 4,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I ahve an absolutely huge spreadsheet of data at work. I have previously been using Excel 2003 at work. On this particular spreadsheet I had the data filtered so that I could just click the little arrow at the top of each column and it would display all of the data in drop down lists. However, I've just been upgraded to Excel 2010 at work and when I now click the little arrows, all of the data is displayed but you have to 'de-select' or 'select all' to get the data you want. Is there no way to just have it the same way I sued to like in Excel 2003? I can't use Data Validation as the particular spreadhseet is updated multiple times a day with information and so it would mean em cosntantly having to change the Data Validation settings/options etc.
    Not sure I understand the problem. The 'filter' in Excel 2010 allows you to select single or multiple values. Is that no good? Quickest way to select a specific value is to untick the 'select all' option and then tick the value you want or alternatively you can type the value in the search box above (as you type it will reduce the list of available values).
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Migster wrote: »
    Not sure I understand the problem. The 'filter' in Excel 2010 allows you to select single or multiple values. Is that no good? Quickest way to select a specific value is to untick the 'select all' option and then tick the value you want or alternatively you can type the value in the search box above (as you type it will reduce the list of available values).

See I much prefer it the old way in Excel 2003, but it seems there's no option to have it that way in Excel 2010.
  • MigsterMigster Posts: 4,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See I much prefer it the old way in Excel 2003, but it seems there's no option to have it that way in Excel 2010.
    Unfortunately I can't remember how it worked in 2003, so not really sure what you're getting at and how 2010 is different.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't understand the problem either, but I'm fairly sure that anything in Excel 2003 is achievable in 2010 - the interface is just different.