Gremilns reboot!!! Nooooooooooooo!

BlurayBluray Posts: 661
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a451615/spielbergs-gremlins-movie-to-receive-a-reboot.html

Before anyone says "Having a new version won't mean the original doesn't exist" or words to that effect.....I know that.
But i just don't understand why they keep doing this to franchises that are just fine as they are.

We don't need a reboot for Gremlins, in fact we don't really need a sequel of sorts. We've managed 20 years without one.

Comments

• CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really can't add anymore to your post. Except a CGI Gizmo would be heresy IMO.
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,130
    Forum Member
    Nowadays it's either a reboot of an old film or if Hollywood does comeup with an original idea, they flood the market year on year with sequels.

I mean, was it really necessary to reboot Total Recall? I'll wager that a Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles reboot is on the cards somewhere:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as its good! But yeah it will be CGI which is such a shame. They did save Gizmo from Gremlins 2 for a 3rd movie. The Gizmo from Gremlins one rotted :(
  • yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gremlins back on the big screen?? Fantastic news. Wish it hadn't taken them so damn long.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,293
    Forum Member
    Reboots are almost universally crap. I have no doubt this will be too

The original is the best. The sequel is excellent too.

No need for a reboot, but as Total Recall has shown, the original is usually better, and the reboot will be forgotten quickly.
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im all for this aslong as its good
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    More Gremlins ? Maybe

More Phoebe Cates ? Yeeeeeeeeeees
  • jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    More Gremlins ? Maybe

More Phoebe Cates ? Yeeeeeeeeeees

I'd stick to the original then mate, seeing as Phoebe Cates is 50 this year and hasn't been in a film for 12 years.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    jrmswfc wrote: »
    I'd stick to the original then mate, seeing as Phoebe Cates is 50 this year and hasn't been in a film for 12 years.

I suppose they could her and Zach Galligan could have cameos in any new version like David Soul and Paul Michael Glaser had cameos in the Starsky and Hutch remake

The same goes for Dick Miller who played Mr Futterman
  • Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do not want a CGI Gizmo. It will take away from its cuteness :(
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,130
    Forum Member

Probably be voiced by Seth MacFarlane as well.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only problem is when there is a confusion as to which version is on TV, like with "Total Recall" and it's re-bake (a cross between a re-boot and a re-make)

I imagine it's about creating a "franchise" with toys and so forth, hence it will be awful since no decent director would go near it and it's bound to pull every punch so as not to offend.

But it really has no effect on the original, we've seen this over and over again. If anything an original gains from comparison to an icky reboot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    The only problem is when there is a confusion as to which version is on TV, like with "Total Recall" and it's re-bake (a cross between a re-boot and a re-make)

I imagine it's about creating a "franchise" with toys and so forth, hence it will be awful since no decent director would go near it and it's bound to pull every punch so as not to offend.

But it really has no effect on the original, we've seen this over and over again. If anything an original gains from comparison to an icky reboot.

It's like whenever The Fog comes on TV, I think "Cool, I can watch this again". And then it turns out to be that sh!t achingly awful remake version. I can't reach for the remote fast enough.
  • jamespondojamespondo Posts: 6,040
    Forum Member
    I'll wager that a Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles reboot is on the cards somewhere:rolleyes:

Good call. A Michael Bay helmed version is about to start filming very soon for a summer 2014 release.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    Grow up you lot. They didn't make the original just for you. It'll either be good or it won't but it doesn't affect you in the slightest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    oh well ..i will keep my Gremlins on the tv planner and rewatch that again and again lol
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Creamtea wrote: »
    It's like whenever The Fog comes on TV, I think "Cool, I can watch this again". And then it turns out to be that sh!t achingly awful remake version. I can't reach for the remote fast enough.

Is the remake the one with the guy who played Clark Kent/Superman in Smallville??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Is the remake the one with the guy who played Clark Kent/Superman in Smallville??

Yes. In chunky knitwear.
  • roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yaristaman wrote: »
    Gremlins back on the big screen?? Fantastic news. Wish it hadn't taken them so damn long.
    Staring
    David cameron
    Nik Clegg
    George Osbourn
    Ed balls
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reboots are almost universally crap. I have no doubt this will be too

The original is the best. The sequel is excellent too.

No need for a reboot, but as Total Recall has shown, the original is usually better, and the reboot will be forgotten quickly.

That's a ridiculous statement...granted the Total Recall reboot was not up to much, but what about the recent Batman franchise, and the Spider Man movies?

These reboots don't bother me in the slightest, the very fact that it's a reboot means it stands completely apart from the original, and whether it stands or falls it does not affect the original.

I just don't see the need to get upset over something like this.

And people keep asking why...simple, money. Plus the older the movie, as in this case, whole new generations of people will not have seen the original and will go and see it...so there is clearly money to be made.
  • yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    100% agree. Never understand why people get so het up about remakes. As if all of a sudden the original version will cease to be!!!

If anything it lets people who would never have heard of the original have a chance to check it out (Fright Night, Piranha, Infernal Affairs) and on some occasions it betters the original (Oceans Eleven, Ben Hur).

End of the day, a film getting remade makes no difference to the quality of the original. I'm actually looking forward to some of the remakes on their way - RoboCop, Evil Dead - far more than some of the sequels slated for the near future - Hangover 3 and Smurfs 2 I'm looking at you!!
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    I'll wager that a Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles reboot is on the cards somewhere:rolleyes:

It is :(

As to new in the the OP

Why?
  • CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Wasn't Gizmo CGI at times in Gremlins 2?

I thought he was CGI in the scene where he ran down an alleyway and when he was dancing on the table.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVej1rFG2i4

..although I think they should use puppets where possible in regards to Gizmo/Mogwai...for the "Gremlins" themselves it wouldn't matter as much as CGI can replicate reptiles very well (in the right hands).

I'd prefer they didn't do a straight remake of the first story. Do something different with them. A gremlins origin story would be interesting. I suppose Gremlins on a cruise ship, in a theme park or maybe used as a "chemical weapon" could all work.

..it'll be interesting to see if they go for a more "horror" vibe or keep it light ala Gremlins 2.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,293
    Forum Member
    That's a ridiculous statement...granted the Total Recall reboot was not up to much, but what about the recent Batman franchise, and the Spider Man movies?

The Spiderman reboot was crap. The Nolan Batman movies are massive improvements on the Schumacher movies, but inferior to the Burton movies.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Callous wrote: »
    Wasn't Gizmo CGI at times in Gremlins 2?

I thought he was CGI in the scene where he ran down an alleyway and when he was dancing on the table.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVej1rFG2i4
    I imagine that's just the puppet being controlled like normal, but on green screen so the hand or wires can't be seen, as you can actually see all the puppet in that shot rather than just the head and torso with the puppeteers hands hidden out of shot.