Universal Job Match - Do NOT sign!

Comments

• CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Diaz wrote: »
    Can you take a screenshot of it? There is no Monster logo for me.
    the website is back up for me now
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Why on earth do they need to do any site updates? How can they possibly improve on perfection? ;)
  • DiazDiaz Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    If you set up a UJ account but you do not allow access by the JC to it can they still see the CV you have uploaded? Can they view your CV even though you have denied them access?
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    krok wrote: »

Thanks for that. It'll come in useful this week.
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Don't know why you should provide screenprints to prove sign up, they can see that you've blocked them!
  • quinnicusquinnicus Posts: 856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Absolutely brilliant, thanks for the link, may come in very handy indeed.

I love the summary part at the bottom

"The view of PCS is that Universal Jobmatch is nothing more than a crude tool being used by DWP management to help deliver this government’s ‘scorched earth’ approach to the welfare reform agenda. Disgracefully, it is PCS members who are at the forefront of criticism from claimants and welfare groups alike when failings of the system are highlighted across the national media. FLAs should follow the guidance and use their own discretion when mandating claimants to sign up to UJ, and resist any local targets or blanket approaches at a local level.
    "
  • quinnicusquinnicus Posts: 856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    Don't know why you should provide screenprints to prove sign up, they can see that you've blocked them!

I cant see the harm in printing out the actually email from the job that you have just applied for. I have been doing this for the past year now. Its my way of providing proof that I am applying for jobs, and it keeps them off my back. I also save every email for my record.

I have learnt over the years, it is best to cover your ass.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    quinnicus wrote: »
    I cant see the harm in printing out the actually email from the job that you have just applied for. I have been doing this for the past year now. Its my way of providing proof that I am applying for jobs, and it keeps them off my back. I also save every email for my record.

I did this for a while, but it was costing too much in printer cartridges. I politely asked, as the WP company had demanded I do this, if they would cover the cost of replacement cartridges, they refused and I certainly wasn't paying £45 for a set of cartridges just to print out such things. So instead I just screen capped each application, attached them all to an email and emailed them at the end of every week. I suppose it was a bit naughty of me to save the sceencaps as bitmaps instead of jpgs though, leading to my adviser moaning about the size of the emails because his IT department were having a go at him about it. :)

He now wants me to take snapshots on my phone and let him look through my phone pictures at my next meeting.

One thing the major jobsearch sites could do with is the ability to email you a list of jobs applied for at the end of each week, which you could then print out or forward to your advisor. That would be better for those of us that don't use UJM and don't want to use it.
  • CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member

Does anyone know if this UJM requires you to enter an email address to verify the sign-up. If it does, and if I was a claimant being forced to sign up, then there's no way on this Earth that I'd be entering my email accounts password over whatever unsecured POS network the JCP or 'training centre' uses.
  • James30James30 Posts: 5,196
    Forum Member
    quinnicus wrote: »

Unless your at a nudist goings on:D

But enough small talk.....
  • Ramit BaudeepRamit Baudeep Posts: 442
    Forum Member
    So is it now mandatory to have a UJM account? Anyone know for sure?

I have UJM account but have not ticked the box giving the job centre access
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    So is it now mandatory to have a UJM account? Anyone know for sure?

I have UJM account but have not ticked the box giving the job centre access

From the links posted earlier it isn't mandatory, in that not everyone claiming benefits MUST sign up for it, but your JC advisor CAN mandate you to create and account in your Jobseekers Direction document. So basically, it's at the discretion of your adviser. If they give you a new Jobseekers Direction that requires you to sign up then you must indeed sign up, but you still do not have to allow them access.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have found a problem the "Review Your Skills" section of UJM

when I look at a job, and click "Review Your Skills" it gives me the skills for a different job.

eg

Egg Collector became Debt Collector.
    Customer Adviser became Occupational Health Adviser
    Call Centre Advisor - 6 month contract became Call Centre Operations Manager
    Clerical Assistant became - Human Resources Administrative Assistant

this is just based on todays job search.

Anyone else noticed this?

the problem with this, is that in theory you could use the "Review Your Skills" to write a decent covering letter, for a job, however that section, gives you the wrong job, you cant do that.
  • Ramit BaudeepRamit Baudeep Posts: 442
    Forum Member
    From the links posted earlier it isn't mandatory, in that not everyone claiming benefits MUST sign up for it, but your JC advisor CAN mandate you to create and account in your Jobseekers Direction document. So basically, it's at the discretion of your adviser. If they give you a new Jobseekers Direction that requires you to sign up then you must indeed sign up, but you still do not have to allow them access.

Thanks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member

I took a print out of this PCS update to the job centre, highlighting especially this section:

"management have acknowledged that mandatory sign up to UJ will not be a blanket approach;Mandatory sign up will be on an individual basis, if the FLA feels that UJ would be beneficial to the claimant, and they have ‘unreasonably refused".

As my advisor has acknowledged, the the job bulletins I am already subscribed to are the most useful ones for my industry. He had already explicitly told me that I would find nothing beneficial or relevant to my skills on UJM. Even so, he ignored the above and told me that it is mandatory and he would have to issue a Jobseeker Direction if I refused. He went on to say that the "PCS always twist things the way they want," and that they were wrong.

I also highlighted this section:

"EU cookie legislation prevents mandatory sign up requiring customers to use their home computers to register for, or use UJ. This is because the choice to accept cookies on your computer has to be made ‘freely’, under the EU legislation."

I suggested that if I sign up on my home computer, I would be effectively giving my permission for the state to spy on me. His response to this was, "some people need to be spied on."

I would like to see some official document that states whether sign up to UJ is to be a "blanket approach" or not.

In the PCS update it says, "Management will be issuing guidance around this shortly." Apparently they are having a meeting about this today.
  • CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    Sun_Lies wrote: »
    I suggested that if I sign up on my home computer, I would be effectively giving my permission for the state to spy on me. His response to this was, "some people need to be spied on."

You should've recorded the conversation and sent it to the media.
  • DiazDiaz Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    PCS Union have voted to undertake strike action.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21661083

The UK's largest civil service union has voted for strike action in a row over job losses, pay and pensions.

The Public and Commercial Services Union (PCS) says 61% of those who voted in a national ballot opted to strike. Turnout among the union's 250,000 members balloted was 28%.

The PCS, which wants a 5% pay rise, or £1,200, says potential walkouts could clash with the Budget later this month.

The government said the results of the ballot were "disappointing".

The union, whose members include job centre, benefits and tax office workers, said its national executive committee will decide the exact nature of the action on Wednesday.

The turnout was low but it was higher than the PCC Elections and the results of the PCC Elections are perfectly valid. So tomorrow the PCS Union are going to decide exactly what their plan of strike action will be.

PCC Elections turnout: 15% - PCS Union turnout: 28%

Look at this tweet: https://twitter.com/SirBobKerslake/status/308639287518326784 - How much money does he have and he is criticising people who earn substantially less than him, what a joke.
  • R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been told today that I not only have to note the jobs I apply for, but the websites I look at too.
    Fair enough, I will do that, but I will going through a fair few job log books.
  • tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    I have found a problem the "Review Your Skills" section of UJM

when I look at a job, and click "Review Your Skills" it gives me the skills for a different job.

eg

Egg Collector became Debt Collector.
    Customer Adviser became Occupational Health Adviser
    Call Centre Advisor - 6 month contract became Call Centre Operations Manager
    Clerical Assistant became - Human Resources Administrative Assistant

this is just based on todays job search.

Anyone else noticed this?

the problem with this, is that in theory you could use the "Review Your Skills" to write a decent covering letter, for a job, however that section, gives you the wrong job, you cant do that.

I think it picks up key words so if you use assistant for example it will bring up any jobs with assistant in the advert. Might be wrong though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tigragirl wrote: »
    I think it picks up key words so if you use assistant for example it will bring up any jobs with assistant in the advert. Might be wrong though.
    which is odd, because you would think employers would want to pick what skills people need for their job, not leaving it to UJM to decide, what those skills are.

that is of course when it works correctly, and not when its randomly assigning skills pages to random jobs.

I have done a couple of Covering Letters based on those skills this year, and I suspect I may not have noticed the change in job title.
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone had any spam mail from this company? https://www.outsource-plus.co.uk/

I received a job offer e-mail from someone claiming to work for this company. Apparently i applied for the role on the 17th January through reed.co.uk. It turns out it was a bogus job offer as the reference number in the e-mail was 9 characters and reed's reference numbers are 8 characters and there's no evidence of me applying for a job on that date on the previously applied for list.

I've reported it to reed's website department. Has anyone else had any funny e-mails from the above company?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Outsource plus got me my previous job which was a temporary contract. However i didnt apply on reed, it was jobsite
  • labelsandlovelabelsandlove Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to start my Jobseekers claim today (well, yesterday). I've been mandated to sign up to Universal Jobmatch :( Won't be allowing them access though!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Recently I started on the Work Programme and the guy who did the Welcome session told us how flawed that website is. He also told us how he had spoken to one woman who applied for a job on there, got an interview only to find out the job was a fake when she turned up for the interview. When she got home, she discovered she had been burgled.
This discussion has been closed.