Morrissey ill (again). Cancels tour.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
Forum Member
✭✭
Sounds like poor Morrissey's having more health problems.

He may have become a sanctimonious old dear in the last few years, but I love his music, and was lucky enough to see The Smiths perform a couple of times back in the day.

BBC story.
A series of "medical mishaps" has forced Morrissey to cancel the rest of his concerts in the US, his publicist has said.

The ex-Smiths frontman has suffered a number of illnesses including a bleeding ulcer, Barrett's oesophagus and double pneumonia.

The 53-year-old, who was due to perform at Liberty Hall in Kansas on Monday, has pulled 22 shows.

The singer had already called off 21 gigs this year due to poor health.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    Oh dear
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great singer, but I wonder if his diet is helping him. He seems to be suffering a lot of health problems and he's only 53.
  • Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon Ross wrote: »
    Great singer, but I wonder if his diet is helping him. He seems to be suffering a lot of health problems and he's only 53.

He`s a vegetarian, a perfectly normal diet, and healthier than most. I don`t see it would have any impact one way or the other on the health problems Morrissey has had.
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Misty08 wrote: »
    He`s a vegetarian, a perfectly normal diet, and healthier than most.

Sometimes, but vegetarians can have a nutrient deficiency. Less likely to have a heart attack though.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21258509
  • linnyloulinnylou Posts: 18,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor guy.

Looks likely that unless he's been suffering from acid reflux, Barret's oesophagus could have been exacerbated by his bleeding ulcer. Which could have been a symptom of worrying about his Mum's poor health.

Anyway, that's the end of my diagnosis, and I do hope he recovers from it all and is on the mend soon.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    Needs to eat more meat that lad.
  • Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hope he recovers soon!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hope he's well again soon, great musician :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    Aww poor old Moz! I hope he gets better soon.
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there a problem in the US with Sir Elton having to cancel his concerts after becoming ill too.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    I think he's suffering from foot in mouth.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon Ross wrote: »
    Sometimes, but vegetarians can have a nutrient deficiency. Less likely to have a heart attack though.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21258509

Sometimes anyone can have a "nutrient defieciency". I don`t see the link with any of Morrissey`s illnesses, at all.Really, no one would suggest it was linked to diet if he were a meat-eater (even though there are more risks with that diet).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Is there a problem in the US with Sir Elton having to cancel his concerts after becoming ill too.
    Must be his diet.
  • rollockingbatrollockingbat Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm, slightly off-topic ... I've been a Smiths fan for a while and I've recently started listening to some of Morrissey's solo stuff. I've made it up to (and struggled to get through) Kill Uncle so far and having attempted to listen to Your Arsenal and got bored, have I pretty much reached the best of his work? I know 'Viva Hate' and in particular 'Bona Drag' are considered his solo masterpieces but is any of the solo stuff following this much good? :confused:
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »

What sort of problem are you suggesting?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hey bat, a lot of people don't seem to like his solo music much, personally i like most of it though i generally prefer the smiths stuff.
    maybe listen to 'you are the quarry' i'd say that's a good album to go for, his last three albums have all been really good though IMO, they're my favourite of his solo ones...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qgn1Rc0YJ4 - you are the quarry
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjVsdBxAzhM - ringleader of the tormentors
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8npJ3hI7As - years of refusal

:)
  • Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awww *hugs him*
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably more to do with the stresses of touring rather than his veggie diet. If someone is naturally not a particularly athletic person (e.g. Elton John), then it's a tough schedule to keep up in your 50s/60s.

Some vegetarians are very healthy, others are not. Some meat eaters are very healthy, others are not.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope he's OK. Barrett's oesophagus in particular can be a precursor to oesophageal cancer so if it's a side effect of the stress of touring etc. then he really needs to take a rest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    Hmm, slightly off-topic ... I've been a Smiths fan for a while and I've recently started listening to some of Morrissey's solo stuff. I've made it up to (and struggled to get through) Kill Uncle so far and having attempted to listen to Your Arsenal and got bored, have I pretty much reached the best of his work? I know 'Viva Hate' and in particular 'Bona Drag' are considered his solo masterpieces but is any of the solo stuff following this much good? :confused:

LOL, Kill Uncle and Your Arsnal - not a particularly great place to start getting into Morrissey's solo stuff. Your best bet is Vauxhaull & I.