Which Playstation to give for Christmas?

DogmatixDogmatix Posts: 2,286
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My kids (17,12,11) has asked Santa for a Playstation this Christmas.

Now, Santa is not too up-to-date on things Playstationesque, so he popped around to the local stores (in civvies, of course) to check out the offerings. He found that there are three types of console available:

1. a front slot-loading unit with 160 or 320 GB hard disc;
2. a top-loader with up to 500GB hard disc; and
3. a top-loader similar to above, but with 12GB solid-state drive.

Apparently No. 1 is old stuff; Nos. 2 and 3 are current models. A pity, because a top-loader needs more space above it and it thus more difficult to accommodate in shelving than a front-loader. A shop assistant said that the move to top-loading was to save a few pennies on manufacturing costs.

Each console is available on its own or in various controller/game combinations (though Santa is not going to give them games involving shooting, blowing up, or otherwise dismembering people).

So which console is the best to get?
What advantage of the SSD over HDD versions (or v.v.)?
Can all versions play DVDs and BluRays?
What about 3D BluRays? (Don't have a 3D TV yet, but who knows....)
Talking of DVDs, can Playstations be rendered region code free?
Any good (non-violent) games you could recommend?

Santa says thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    In all honesty, if the 320GB Model (Front Loading one) is new, go for that, the newer model (top loader) is just to cut down on costs and feels much cheaper than previous models, the original Slim Model works well and there haven't been any problems really reported about them.

SSD has amazing advantages over HDD in terms of Speed, but for a console, it won't use that, so it's always best to go for a HDD because you'll be getting more space for your money, and a lot of PS3 games require an Install, 12GB is just pathetic really, even more so if you chose to go with Playstation Plus!

Yes, all can play DVD's and Blu-rays, Yes, all Models can play 3D Blu-rays (only the Original Models couldn't handle BOTH 3D and DTS MA audio), sadly no, the PS3 is Region Locked, and there are loads of PS3 games that are non violent, be sure to check out Digital games like Journey, etc.
  • ToytownAssassinToytownAssassin Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    Yeah I'd go for a front loader slim rather than the newer top loader model if you can get a new one as it has proven build quality.

As for non violent games, the little big planet and lego games are a good place to start and don't forget to get an hdmi cable as it probably wont be included but don't get ripped off and spend over 5 quid on one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    320GB front loader

Do not get the 12GB
  • demonbazzademonbazza Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    I picked up a 320gb slim front loader with controller, and a second free controller, for £200 (no games though) over the weekend as a certain high street retailer was selling it with 20% off. The deal is still on (I've just checked).

I'm sure the rules say I can't post the deal here so message me and I could give you the details.

As a fan of platform games I'd recommend the HD trilogy's of Ratchet and Clank or Jak and Daxter. Fun for all ages, but there are guns so you may want to check out footage first to see if you would be happy.
  • ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you keep your eye on Zavvi, they regularly sell the new 500GB PS3 for £200. Their deals change daily by the way.

Play are currently selling the 500GB with two games (GT5:AE & UC3:GOTY) for £200 also.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Oh and it is compulsary to buy the Uncharted trilogy
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh and it is compulsary to buy the Uncharted trilogy

Think he said non-violent ;)

Not that Uncharted is a God Of War gore-fest or anything and of course it's up to the parents, but at its core it is a shooter with "real" guns and people. Personally I wouldn't have a problem letting kids aged 11-17 play it due to its cartoon nature and the platforming elements, but each to their own.

As for games advice, if you're looking more family-friendly titles, LittleBigPlanet and Ratchet And Clank are solid bets. LBP has the benefit of four-play cooperative as well.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can buy the 12GB PS3 at tesco for £135 (£125 if new customer) and you can always put in an HDD in it at a later date, they are very cheap.
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd go for the 160GB front-loader, then a year or whatever down the line when it's full you can upgrade the HDD inexpensively, and the process of swapping drives is ridiculously easy.

You will need to buy an HDMI cable yourself (annoyingly they still don't come with the console) but I must wholeheartedly agree with the earlier poster: DO NOT GET DUPED INTO BUYING AN EXPENSIVE ONE FROM A SHOP! A £5 cable off ebay/Amazon, even from TKMaxx, will do just the same job, just make sure you get one that's branded as 3D-capable, just to make sure you don't need to replace it again in case you do go for a 3DTV.
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    You can buy the 12GB PS3 at tesco for £135 (£125 if new customer) and you can always put in an HDD in it at a later date, they are very cheap.

Bear in mind that with this model, you will also need to buy this to upgrade the HDD, the front-loaders already have one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Bear in mind that with this model, you will also need to buy this to upgrade the HDD, the front-loaders already have one.

I did this after my original phatty finally caught the ylod:(

The 12GB one is fine and actually seems a bit faster than my old phatty tbh but be warned as there’s only a thin piece of plastic separating the disk from the outside you'll be hearing it spin just like the old PS1 days:cool:

Good value though:)
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It can still work out cheaper, £10 for bracket, £40 for 500GB HDD, total cost £185.

Ofcoarse you won't really need to go as big as 500GB, that is just an example.

Btw Amazon have matched Tescos price of £135 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-PlayStation-12GB-Super-Console/dp/B009DL2TBK
  • steveOooosteveOooo Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    Dont forget that With the ps3, as well as games, bluray, upscaled DVD playback etc, you can also slip in a 1tb HDD (user replaceable - very easy to do so) and along with Play TV (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0017UV0UG/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B0017UV0UG&linkCode=as2&tag=mysp085-21 ) you're able to turn the ps3 into a 1tb freeview PVR - although, you can't get Freeview HD presently.

A HDD like this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005DVJJWQ/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B005DVJJWQ&linkCode=as2&tag=mysp085-21 would be spot on! Note as well, play tv Upscaled the sd image - certainly the best freeview sd image I've ever seen.

The ps3 is the only box under my tv - I would get the cheapest slim model (the new top loading super slim looks terrible/ like it'll break if you cough on it). And replace the drive with a 1tb or750gb hybrid drive (uses spinning disc and ssd module).

Oh, and you can get a remote to control the ps3 and TV too with the v2.0 remote control (around £18 from amazon on import - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0050SX9I2/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B0050SX9I2&linkCode=as2&tag=mysp085-21 )