Should phone shops and contracts be clamped down on?

linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Should they have to stop forcing contracts at everybody? You should be able to go in and pay cash for any handset sim free but sadly for top of the range ones they refuse to sell. Not to mention them being pushy they are asking what tariff you use or trying to sell you the wrong phone.

How do phone shops get away with having such bad customer service? I know they get commission but it's no excuse for poor service.

Comments

• lovedoctor1978lovedoctor1978 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ??? Not quite sure what you are getting at? Last time I got top range handset was the Xperia S £450 sim free from CPW (a week after release). She looked into gettin one on PayGO from a network and found it was £10 cheaper. Took that option and sold the SIM card for a fiver. My issue was I paid cash and she had to get that authorised by ringing head office. Since when was paying cash demonised?????
  • prkingprking Posts: 9,791
    Forum Member
    I don't think we are talking about the big chains here,they cleaned up their act years ago.

There are a few smaller groups of shops that still use these underhand "selling" techniques. There is one in our high street that always has smart alec staff outside acting like chuggers, trying to get people to come inside. Seemingly oblivious that Ofcom banned that some time ago.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the OP is talking about the iPhone 5s which CPW and others are only selling with a contract and not sim free.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Should they have to stop forcing contracts at everybody? You should be able to go in and pay cash for any handset sim free but sadly for top of the range ones they refuse to sell. Not to mention them being pushy they are asking what tariff you use or trying to sell you the wrong phone.

How do phone shops get away with having such bad customer service? I know they get commission but it's no excuse for poor service.

I agree.

But shops have the right to not sell you things. That's just how it works.

I agree that most retail staff are just after commission and will lie to get a sale. But i don't agree that they HAVE to sell you pay as you go because they don't.

If you want it badly get it online, at least that way you have DSR protection.