DVDs for dvd recorder

i have been using dvd - rw for years and i was always able to put 4 one hour programmes onto them. the dvd is 4 hours but now if i put one hour it takes up 3 and i only have one hour and 50 mins left on it. so it seems a waste of space. it wont let me copy another one hour programme onto it is there a way to fix it?

sorry didnt know what other title to use

Comments

• SpruceSpruce Posts: 1,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's your recorder and has the recording mode been changed?
  • monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,845
    Forum Member
    Spruce wrote: »
    What's your recorder and has the recording mode been changed?

its toshiba and no i have been using the same one for years
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Might be worth having a look here first. http://www.home-entertainment.toshiba.co.uk/Support/
    Forum Member
    But my dvd recorder is fine. Its the dvds that are a problem

Cant see what to do on that page:confused:
  • iangradiangrad Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You set the speed of the disc from the recorder and YOU control how much data you want on each disc . The disc type is irrelevant . but in principle
    XP = 1 hour recording
    SP = 2 Hour recording
    EP = 4 Hour recording
    LP = 6 or 8 hour recording depending on the recorder .
    FR = Flex recording IE it fills the disc .

Hope this helps , there is nothing wrong with your discs .
    Forum Member
    iangrad wrote: »
    You set the speed of the disc from the recorder and YOU control how much data you want on each disc . The disc type is irrelevant . but in principle
    XP = 1 hour recording
    SP = 2 Hour recording
    EP = 4 Hour recording

Hope this helps , there is nothing wrong with your discs .

how do you do that? :confused:
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It will be explained in the manual and on the on-screen menus.

When purchased DVD recorders are usually set to record in SP
    (2 hours a disc) so, it seems likely that it has been changed to EP (4 hours) at some time.

If you can't find the manual posting the model number will help
  • Sideburns57Sideburns57 Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

On your remote you should hopefully have a recording mode (rec mode) button. *Press that in advance of recording it will give you the option of recording in the speeds ianrad very kindly detailed. Best of luck.

* the first 'press' should give you the XP option, press it again and you should get SP (and so on). Then press record once the desired speed comes up on screen.
    Forum Member
    Cant see it in the manual model number rd -xs34sb
    Forum Member
    On your remote you should hopefully have a recording mode (rec mode) button. *Press that in advance of recording it will give you the option of recording in the speeds ianrad very kindly detailed. Best of luck.

* the first 'press' should give you the XP option, press it again and you should get SP (and so on). Then press record once the desired speed comes up on screen.

Can you not change it after youve recorded something?
    Forum Member

Im pretty sure its always been on lp

Btw im not recording straight onto the discs i record onto the harddrive anc copy them over
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You set the recording parameters before you record i.e SP/LP etc. You can change them each time if you wish.

As I said earlier most recorders are set to SP as default

In this downloadable manual http://www.nodevice.com/download.html
    pages 16/17/40 explain
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you got it set up for fast dubbing or not?
    On my Pioneers I can change the original quality of the recording to dub but this is then done in real-time
    Forum Member
    im pretty positive its always been set on lp.
    Spruce wrote: »
    Have you got it set up for fast dubbing or not?
    On my Pioneers I can change the original quality of the recording to dub but this is then done in real-time

do you mean when i copy them? yeah i can copy some stuff over but its when its copied it wont let me copy anything else
    Forum Member
    mac2708 wrote: »
    You set the recording parameters before you record i.e SP/LP etc. You can change them each time if you wish.

As I said earlier most recorders are set to SP as default

In this downloadable manual http://www.nodevice.com/download.html
    pages 16/17/40 explain
    that page is forbidden :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, so when you record to your hard drive from an external source, i.e. Sky box or from the TV directly, you can record either by setting the timer or if you have a hard drive on your recorder, by pressing the OK on the programme highlighted in your TV guide or again by doing a timer record.

Now sticking the desired recording on DVD disc:-

So once that programme is on your hard drive, you can then copy it to a DVD disc. At this point, i.e when you are about to copy to the DVD disc you choose which speed by pressing the recording mode button: if the programme you are copying to disc is more than an hour in length then XP is out of the question - you need SP; If it is more than 2 hours in length you then go to the next 'inferior quality' speed (EP or LP).

If you do not have a hard drive and re copying to disc directly from an external source, i.e. the Sky box, nothing changes: you still need to 'match' the speed to the length of programme.

Do you have a recording mode button on your remote control? If you have that you do not need to refer to the manual: is it hopefully a simple pressing of the button o the desired speed comes up.

Again, best of luck.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And if you have hard drive and you are copying to DVD disc and that recording is 60 mins or less, some recorders have the fast dubbing option referred to by one of the contributors here, i.e. it won't take 60 mins to copy the 60 mins.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Btw im not recording straight onto the discs i record onto the harddrive anc copy them over

Sorry, I have just seen this comment. Even easier from you hard drive - you just need to adjust the speed when you are about to record. You must have a recording mode button, so press this until you get the speed you wish to cater for the length of recording.
    Forum Member
    O

So once that programme is on your hard drive, you can then copy it to a DVD disc. At this point, i.e when you are about to copy to the DVD disc you choose which speed by pressing the recording mode button: if the programme you are copying to disc is more than an hour in length then XP is out of the question - you need SP; If it is more than 2 hours in length you then go to the next 'inferior quality' speed (EP or LP).

Do you have a recording mode button on your remote control? If you have that you do not need to refer to the manual: is it hopefully a simple pressing of the button o the desired speed comes up.

Again, best of luck.

SP didnt make a difference. it made it worse. when i say an hour length programm its less than an hour.so what is the one to use for less than an hour?

thanks for your help really appreciate it

yes i have a recording button
    Forum Member
    tried all the recording modes and it just made it worse.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SP didnt make a difference. it made it worse. when i say an hour length programm its less than an hour.so what is the one to use for less than an hour?

XP. If you record at that speed and it does not look good enough then there is no answer!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

XP. If you record at that speed and it does not look good enough then there is no answer! (that being the highest quality)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would add that if you are expecting it to mirror the quality of the recording on your hard drive, that is unlikely. There is always a slight dilution of picture quality when a copy is made (should be negligible if you are copying to XP though)
    Forum Member
    XP. If you record at that speed and it does not look good enough then there is no answer! (that being the highest quality)

are we talking the same thing here? i have plenty of dvds that have 4 one hour programmes on. ive been using the same ones for years. i dont know why it suddenly got like this. i want to be able to copy 4 one hour programmes across to the dvd. i dont care about the quality as long as i can watch them which i can lol if i cant do it will just have to buy the dvds of the show i watch

i cant see xp as an option on the recording mode.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, in which case you need to use the mode that fits the 4 1 hour prgrammes:-

XP (sometimes its HQ) = 1 hour recording
    SP = 2 Hour recording
    EP = 4 Hour recording