A thought on BT's Sports channels

So, Sky Sports is now only available to new subscribers on infinity. Wouldn't it make sense to cease broadcast of the Sky channels over the air, and replace them with BT's own channels in the short term?

Comments

• BangersBangers Posts: 3,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is what myself and others have been saying for months. Maybe we inspired you to start this thread :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    BT are doing lots of stuff behind the scenes at the moment, but if I were trialling it I wouldn't be able to tell you about it because of the agreement triallists sign up to.

I can 'imagine' though, ALL of the non-freeview channels (Sky Sports, ESPN and the linear channels already announced) being piped down your broadband, appearing in the EPG and being of a very good quality.

I've been hugely critical of BT's communication in the past, but at the moment I'm seeing them in a new light.

What I'm seeing of the new Vision platform I'm liking...big time
  • VisionMan1VisionMan1 Posts: 2,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andyf94 wrote: »
    BT are doing lots of stuff behind the scenes at the moment, but if I were trialling it I wouldn't be able to tell you about it because of the agreement triallists sign up to.

I can 'imagine' though, ALL of the non-freeview channels (Sky Sports, ESPN and the linear channels already announced) being piped down your broadband, appearing in the EPG and being of a very good quality.

I've been hugely critical of BT's communication in the past, but at the moment I'm seeing them in a new light.

What I'm seeing of the new Vision platform I'm liking...big time

Sports channels announced where, andyf94?
    Forum Member
    VisionMan1 wrote: »
    Sports channels announced where, andyf94?

I don't understand masona, I didn't mention 'sports channels'
    .... I said I could imagine Sky Sports and ESPN being piped through broadband....what's your point?
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andyf94 wrote: »
    .... I said I could imagine Sky Sports and ESPN being piped through broadband....what's your point?

Sky Sports 1-4, F1 and Sky Sports News are already IPTV channels on TalkTalk's Youview. ESPN, too.

I don't expect more than SS1 and 2 on BT though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Just keeping fingers crossed BT can get Sky Sports 3 & 4, F1 and Sky news.
    Forum Member
    Horses for courses (or burgers)...I suppose, but it's been a while since I've watched SS 3 or 4 so I don't know if they'd be a real 'killer' addition to Vision. Premier footie is on 1&2 so BT have the 'crowd puller' already.

Anyhow, with the package BT seems to be pulling together with Vision it seems to me that they have a real alternative to the main pay TV provider in the UK...depending of course, on what your preferences are...

Competition is good as far as I'm concerned, and I'm liking what the Vision platform is turning into

...and I like what the B in BT means....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    Sky Sports 1-4, F1 and Sky Sports News are already IPTV channels on TalkTalk's Youview. ESPN, too.

No, neither do I. Sky would be loathe to give BT any more channels than what they have to.

Sky don't view TalkTalk as being a threat. BT, they do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, neither do I. Sky would be loathe to give BT any more channels than what they have to.

Sky don't view TalkTalk as being a threat. BT, they do.

,,,,and Sky will be more than happy to get as many as possible YouView customers locked into an 18 month TalkTalk contract before BT Sport arrives.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ,,,,and Sky will be more than happy to get as many as possible YouView customers locked into an 18 month TalkTalk contract before BT Sport arrives.

Ha ha ha! Yeah. TalkTalk went to market early, and judging by their recent published results, YouView has been a smash hit for them.

And I expect BT Sports will be available on the TT platform too. And by then, all linear channels will be recordable too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha ha ha! Yeah. TalkTalk went to market early, and judging by their recent published results, YouView has been a smash hit for them.

And I expect BT Sports will be available on the TT platform too. And by then, all linear channels will be recordable too.

Maybe it will. I wonder how many will take both Sky Sports for £30 and BT Sport for £???.

Or will it be like Setanta/ESPN where only a small minority of Sky Sports subscribers have paid extra for a comparatively small amount of extra matches?

Plus, there's still no deal for Sky branded linear channels on BT's YouView, so it may just be the 'statutory' SS1&2.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe it will. I wonder how many will take both Sky Sports for £30 and BT Sport for £???.

Or will it be like Setanta/ESPN where only a small minority of Sky Sports subscribers have paid extra for a comparatively small amount of extra matches?

Plus, there's still no deal for Sky branded linear channels on BT's YouView, so it may just be the 'statutory' SS1&2.

That's what everyone else is wondering too. :D

But they will be there (1&2 I mean), it's the pricing which will be interesting. As BT are expected to offer their own users such at a substantial discount, and BT Sports too. And while the games may be small in number (38) not all will be small in stature.
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'll stick my neck out - I do, though not necessarily in HD.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    I'll stick my neck out - I do, though not necessarily in HD.

Whilst theres nothing wrong with sticking your neck out, no, there won't, unfortunately. Not that I would watch SS 3&4 anyway.

I'm just wondering if 1&2 will be offered in HD on the new YouView platform. As thats unconfirmed, at the moment. But I don't think they will be. Though that is just a guess.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst theres nothing wrong with sticking your neck out, no, there won't, unfortunately. Not that I would watch SS 3&4 anyway.
    Still only February and negotiations between the two parties are about to start. At this stage, as far as I'm aware we've all got informed opinions but no hard data. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still only February and negotiations between the two parties are about to start. At this stage, as far as I'm aware we've all got informed opinions, a few unknowns in the mix (eg European rugby union rights, ESPN UK & NA's futures, cited tie-up with Box Nation) but no hard data on the Sky-BT situation ;)
  • promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still only February and negotiations between the two parties are about to start. At this stage, as far as I'm aware we've all got informed opinions, a few unknowns in the mix (eg European rugby union rights, ESPN UK & NA's futures, cited tie-up with Box Nation) but no hard data on the Sky-BT situation ;)

Agreed. You dealt with that much better than I would have done :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering if 1&2 will be offered in HD on the new YouView platform. As thats unconfirmed, at the moment. But I don't think they will be. Though that is just a guess.

True. And if I came across 100% like I know, I don't. So apologies for coming across that way.

But I do know none of the channels at the moment are in HD.

But as you have pointed out, 1andrew1, the situation as it stands is fluid, until the agreements have actually been agreed.

Indeed, there are many unknowns, at the moment, so it should be an interesting 12 months...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry but I have no idea why sky sports is such a "game changer".

I, and like many people I know, have no intention of subscribing to the new BT sports, nor sky sports.

I am now glad that I have the likes of GOLD, E!, and crime and investigation via my broadband connection though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 444
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry but I have no idea why sky sports is such a "game changer".

Sky sports has been one of the major drivers in pay tv. People want it - yes i get not everyone is interested but there is a significant market out there with people willing to pay for those channels.

Until Sky Sports arrived on the Freeview platform the majority of the country had 1 single supplier. Sky Sports is now available to almost all of the UK through different providers.

So why is it a game changer - It's a game changer when there a company with a significant monopoly have the first floodgate opened and consumers have choice.

The same happened to BT through regulation, BT (and Virgin) want the same to happen to Sky's TV channels.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    Thought I'd share an article from the Telegraph - there's no new information, and they only really get Sky's opinion but I thought I'd share anyway in case anyone was interested...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/9876215/Sky-v-BT-Vision-just-think-Manchester-United-against-Manchester-City.html
  • promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hup_73 wrote: »
    Thought I'd share an article from the Telegraph - there's no new information, and they only really get Sky's opinion but I thought I'd share anyway in case anyone was interested...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/9876215/Sky-v-BT-Vision-just-think-Manchester-United-against-Manchester-City.html

Thanks for sharing.

I've never thought of it like that before, but I like the way they go in from the angle of Man U (Sky) and Man City (BT). Can't wait to see how noisy those neighbours get ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meanwhile back in BT Towers, the Daily Mail reports that Rio Ferdinand has been contacted by BT Sport.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2280756/BT-Sport-target-Rio-Ferdinand-leading-pundit--Charles-Sale.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for that link. A good read. So BT will initially be losing money on this new venture hand over fist. Which isn't a surprise. After all, how many billions did Sky lose, in the first five years of it's operation? I suppose its just short term loss for long term gain.

However, the only disadvantage for BT is that anyone can buy a dish, but not everyone can get Multicast. Oh I'm sure they'll get there in the end, but not from launch, unfortunately.

Maybe BT will throw everyone a curve ball or two. Stay on DTT, and also take over CH34 too, launch over fibre and launch over DSL as well. Who knows?