Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    RubyRedi wrote: »
    He is Christopher Fairbank who is probably best known for his role as Moxy in Auf Wiedersehen Pet (but has been in lots of UK TV) and the lady in the blue cardy is Annabel Apsion who played Monica in Shameless.
    I believe Annabel has been cast as the new chemist which should be interesting given Mrs T has also returned :D

In ths picture she looks a bit older than I thought. Somehow I thought we had information that she was a younger woman. but glad to know who she was (is)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Louisa is only in the scene with the surfboard covering her middle.
  • lemsterlemster Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    One of the thing I enjoy about Caroline Catz is her voice. I find it very appealing. We have all discussed how much she can get into saying "Martin". Pretty classy all around.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Searching the web today I found a document:

"Port Isaac CAA endorsed 2008.PDF"

This 84 page document is a survey of the historical structures and features in the town (which was listed as early as 1388).

Here is the link. Fascinating reading and looking!

http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/idoc.ashx?docid=0ba9ef6e-881b-48e2-b12d-d0dc388a6961&version=-1
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Several new filming photos were posted to FB today.

Here are two photos of CC (click previous or next):
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=550724698302493&set=gm.10151726530641660&type=1&theater

A video of CC and the director, apparently discussing a scene (but you can't really hear what they said). She's wearing that dress:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=550725668302396&set=o.6043216659&type=2&theater

Several photos here, including Louisa, Bert, Al, the Lexus, that older actor we talked about earlier (Fairbanks?), and Penhale. Don't be deceived by the fact that this set of photos begins with a photo of a poster of DM and Buddy. Click previous or next to see the new photos.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200532419487094&set=gm.10151727000691660&type=1&theater
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally Posted by RubyRedi View Post
    He is Christopher Fairbank who is probably best known for his role as Moxy in Auf Wiedersehen Pet (but has been in lots of UK TV) and the lady in the blue cardy is Annabel Apsion who played Monica in Shameless.

Thanks, RubyRedi, for the ID.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemster wrote: »
    One of the thing I enjoy about Caroline Catz is her voice. I find it very appealing. We have all discussed how much she can get into saying "Martin". Pretty classy all around.

My hair is long enough for a pony tail...

I can do classy...

Still working on the voice though :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    Found this from facebook... "angwin family racing pigeons are being filmed tomorrow a production of doctor martin,if you want to see some class pigeons dont miss it" :)

and this...
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=291578647645314&set=pcb.291578834311962&type=1&theater
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    I

John Slater was an interesting fellow--spurned by love he lived a successful life but apparently a loveless one. His One True Love got away. He obviously was an alcoholic and had the heart disease which apparently represents the loss of love on the series, as I believe we see later with all that accumulating in AJ and her upcoming equally fatal heart problems. I liked that we first saw that DM, for all his brusque verbal posturing, is, with that massive body of his, completely stifled by any type of aggressiveness against him. We see him back away from John Slater's pushing him, like we saw him allow the much smaller father accost him in the alley in "Blood is Thicker". I liked seeing that aspect of DM in the early shows. He's not a fighter, we learn; he never uses his body like he uses his mouth. Inside, he's terrified of physical altercations.

All in all, I found this to be a wonderful story with more plot info about DM/AJ's past history together, and the WONDERFUL scene, one of the best of the whole entire series, of DM meeting Melanie's dad, Mr. Gibson, the enormously tall karate expert, who turns out to be an armchair pediatric psychologist. Their hysterical and delightful discussion is one of the absolute best scenes of TV I've ever watched. I have to rewind that scene whenever I watch that episode.

I'm sorry but for me this episode is two thumbs up! :)

Could it be that DM never fights back because he was bullied as a child and "just took it" as an adult? I believe the only instance, or instances, where DM would fight back is if LG or JH were to receive bodily harm if he did not intervene.

Interesting too, I just purchased a used copy of the book The Chronicles of Downton Abbey and in the Forward Julian Fellowes speaks of how often he has been asked why he thought DA has been such a success. . . .But supposing he were to put his finger on one element, it might be they have made the decision to treat every character, members of family and staff, equally, in terms of their narrative strength. They all have emotional lives, dreams, ambitions and disappointments, and with all of them we suggest a back story. . . . . Isn't the back story of the characters of DM series something you find fascinating, especially DM himself who I felt so sorry for at the revelations of his treatment as a child.
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    Could it be that DM never fights back because he was bullied as a child and "just took it" as an adult? I believe the only instance, or instances, where DM would fight back is if LG or JH were to receive bodily harm if he did not intervene.

Yes, I agree!

I think our best view of DM standing up if LG/JH was threatened was when he did exactly that after the headmaster pushed LG down on the beach when in his porphyria delusion he was making the kids clean the rocks. DM was immediately affronted and stood up and called him out on it, and if the man had continued in his belligerence, I feel its obvious DM was going to stand between him and LG, no matter what happened.

Instead, the headmaster walked into the sea, and it was the grandest glory of DM to walk right in after him, saving his life.

We all know DM suffered violence at the hand of his father as a thin, frail child we saw in his dream. No doubt that was horribly painful. I can certainly think DM runs away from, or freezes at the possibility of violence, from the embedded trauma of its historical pain.

Last, dmbesotted, I doubt any of us liked John Slater teasing DM about bed-wetting, (around 40 years after it happened). It certainly does not endear Slater to the audience, true. We were supposed to feel, I think, the nobility of Slater's actions to hide his fate from AJ through the ludicrous lies of his having another woman, at the end, when he had been given 6-12 months to live, which was supposed to make up for his having been a jerk earlier in the show.

Unfortunately, the jerkiness of him prevails for those of us making up the pro-DM audience! :);)
  • lemsterlemster Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    Blue-Eyes wrote: »
    My hair is long enough for a pony tail...

I can do classy...

Still working on the voice though :rolleyes:

Two out of three isn't bad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found this from facebook... "angwin family racing pigeons are being filmed tomorrow a production of doctor martin,if you want to see some class pigeons dont miss it" :)

and this...
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=291578647645314&set=pcb.291578834311962&type=1&theater

Thanks, leanne, but I'm confused by the racing pigeons and the "doctor martin", which sounds like it might refer to one of the other DM productions, in Germany or somewhere??

I can't find it at FB. Are they trying to say that their racing pigeons are being filmed as part of a DM episode? And do you think they're talking about "our" version of DM? Completely strange sentence structure is confusing me: "...angwin family racing pigeons are being filmed tomorrow a production of doctor martin..."

Anyhoo, thanks. Can you provide a link?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Filming/rehearsal photos at twitter, including two of the Doc:

https://twitter.com/collielover59/media/grid

I hope this link works. If it doesn't, click on the photographer's twitter name and then "view all photos and videos".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
    Forum Member
    marchrand wrote: »

Completely agree. He proves that he can fight, but simply choses not to. A true softy at heart!
    And from his mother's comment he was the same at school. So I suppose it's either nature or having a feeling of inferiority batted intonhim from early on.
    Forum Member
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Thanks, leanne, but I'm confused by the racing pigeons and the "doctor martin", which sounds like it might refer to one of the other DM productions, in Germany or somewhere??

I can't find it at FB. Are they trying to say that their racing pigeons are being filmed as part of a DM episode? And do you think they're talking about "our" version of DM? Completely strange sentence structure is confusing me: "...angwin family racing pigeons are being filmed tomorrow a production of doctor martin..."

Anyhoo, thanks. Can you provide a link?

It is for Doc Martin, the guy comments afterwards. Here is the link https://www.facebook.com/mick.angwin

Here is the link to the pigeon site if interested http://www.angwinfamilypigeons.co.uk/

They are based in Penzance, Cornwall.
  • ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another spoiler pic on FB.
    Claire Bloom pushing the pram!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is for Doc Martin, the guy comments afterwards. Here is the link https://www.facebook.com/mick.angwin

Here is the link to the pigeon site if interested http://www.angwinfamilypigeons.co.uk/

They are based in Penzance, Cornwall.

Thank you. Very interesting (well, not so much the pigeon site, but the DM info is). :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »
    Another spoiler pic on FB.
    Claire Bloom pushing the pram!

:eek::eek: Amazing! :eek::eek:
    I guess she has turned over a new leaf and JH hasn't ruined her life by being born. Very, very intriguing! I just hope she doesn't have the same kind of effect on LG and DM that Eleanor did.
    Forum Member
    Conniej wrote: »

Man, if I was Louisa I'd climb him like a tree! :p:o
    Forum Member
    Found this also on facebook "EXCULSUIVE martin clunes aka doc martin will be filming at newquay airport tomorrow and thursday" here's the link to the profile. https://www.facebook.com/jen.h.telfer
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

LOL! Leanne! Are you a closet "The Office" (US version) fan?

Back about season 2-3 of that show I was an occasional contributor to a forum for the show. They had sub-forums and my favorite was called, "John Krasinski - I'd Climb Him Like a Tree!"
    Forum Member
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    LOL! Leanne! Are you a closet "The Office" (US version) fan?

Back about season 2-3 of that show I was an occasional contributor to a forum for the show. They had sub-forums and my favorite was called, "John Krasinski - I'd Climb Him Like a Tree!"

No, I've never seen it. I heard it off the movie "bridesmaids" I only watched a bit of it - wasn't my thing, but i do like that expression! :cool:
  • MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I really don't believe that Louisa has anything to worry about. If anything she will have the upper hand. Doc's Mum will be coming to Port Wenn from a place of humility and desire for forgiveness. He made it clear that he didn't want her there so there is bound to be some very serious emotional negotiation. Very heavy(I can't wait). Doc's Mum is not going to be the type to say burp him this way or use this type of nappie cream. She will have no idea. Louisa will be fine at least from the baby care perspective. She may just dislike her for being a cruel mother Martin.

Regarding the fact that Martin steps down from physical confrontation is perfectly suited to his history of being bullied and abused. Part of the irony of this is that he has grown up to be six foot three and really doesn't have that much to fear. Emotions dictate each individual's reality, don't they?
This discussion has been closed.