Is the Jackie Robinson movie 42, coming out over here?

CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,149
Forum Member
✭✭
as a some time baseball fan, I am interested to see this new 42 movie about Jackie Robinson, but am unsure if its coming out here, does anyone know?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0453562/

Comments

• TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure. There's still no UK distributor. Even the UK division of Warners Bros is staying quiet. I think they're in the wait-and-see mode?
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope we get a DVD / Blu Ray release, even if there is no cinema release, could have a double headed with Moneyball.
  • SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has a Harrison Ford film ever gone straight to dvd? I can't remember one. It looks like it will top the US box office with around $30m on the opening weekend. I'd be amazed if it doesn't get a cinema release here.
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has a Harrison Ford film ever gone straight to dvd? I can't remember one. It looks like it will top the US box office with around $30m on the opening weekend. I'd be amazed if it doesn't get a cinema release here.
    well Harrison Ford aside, its fair to say that this isnt an easy sell to the British general public. Baseball history alone wont sell it, and racial history will see it favoured more by Arts Cinemas than the major multiplexs, who will feel the movie lacks a hook for the British general public.

I dont think Harrison Ford would count this as a direct to DVD movie, ok so it may end up doing that over here, but this movie was never going to be as bothered by over seas sales, as the latest Blockbuster. Its doing very well in the USA, Harrision Ford will judge it on that.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Edit: ^ I agree.

Although his name is still A-list, his career is sliding down the list. Has been for some time. The Asia Pacific sales market isn't that into him these days, so most of his lesser known films were released on either a limited run or straight to DVD.

His days as a leading man are long over. Not surprising as he's already 70 years old.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was passed by the bbfc for cinema today. No release date given, but presumably it's coming at some point.

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/42
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Can't see this getting a wide release in the UK. Moneyball had a 68.6/31.4% Domestic/International split. And 42 doesn't really have anything going for it international markets (other than Harrison Ford, who might not be that big of a draw), Moneyball was written by Aaron Sorkin (coming off the back of an Oscar win for The Social Network), and had Brad Pitt in it.
  • Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly I think it has about as much appeal in this country as a film about Basil D'Oliveira would have in the States.

Come to think of it it has as much appeal in this country as a film about Basil D'Oliveira would have in this country.

And that's sad on both counts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Sadly I think it has about as much appeal in this country as a film about Basil D'Oliveira would have in the States.

Come to think of it it has as much appeal in this country as a film about Basil D'Oliveira would have in this country.

And that's sad on both counts.

Why is sad that we don't give a crap about baseball? or the continuing American struggle with racism? Sure we should care about racism, but perhaps we're fed up of it being rammed down our throats all the time...

And a film about Basil D'Oliveira might have international appeal in Australia, South Africa, India and the many cricketing nations. Baseball just has the US, Mexico, Japan and possibly Canada...
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out in UK cinemas on September 13th.

UK trailer- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu8PSznXQFE