Anyone else counting the days before the next generation consoles come out?

AdsAds Posts: 37,037
Forum Member
The current Xbox360 and PS3 do seem a little dated now in terms of graphics and what they can do - especially as CGI on tv and movies continues to leap forward.

I don't think games developers can get anymore out of the current systems - but with a decent size jump in hardware spec for the next generation - the graphics in games really could be something special.

Comments

• kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope cause I doubt there will be a new Xbox or play station till at least 2014 earliest.
  • scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    Nope not in a rush plus do 1st release versions of consoles end up with problems?
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope.

There's MUCH more to games than the graphics.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must admit I do like new hardware but in no rush.
  • The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, PC gaming is where its at :D
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Interested to see the specs but can wait.
  • samcains90samcains90 Posts: 4,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. Not at all, for me my PS3 has a lot of life left in it especially with Tomb Raider, Beyond and Last of Us coming out soon.

Graphics can be better on these consoles than the current standard anyway when developers can be bothered. Look at Uncharted 2.
  • ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got far too many games on my PS3 to get through to be too concerned about new consoles.

For anyone counting the says until the next gen arrives, are you going to be happy with increased RRP that all games will carry?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conroy wrote: »
    I've got far too many games on my PS3 to get through to be too concerned about new consoles.

For anyone counting the says until the next gen arrives, are you going to be happy with increased RRP that all games will carry?

What increased RRP

Megadrive 39.99
    PS1 39.99
    PS2 39.99
    PS3 39.99
    Xbox 39.99
    Xbox 360 39.99
    PSvita 39.99
    Next generation???

And i'll get any new console when they launch, i'm an early adaptor but to be honest i wouldn't be fussed if it was next month, next year or next decade
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    What increased RRP

Megadrive 39.99
    PS1 39.99
    PS2 39.99
    PS3 39.99
    Xbox 39.99
    Xbox 360 39.99
    PSvita 39.99
    Next generation???

And i'll get any new console when they launch, i'm an early adaptor but to be honest i wouldn't be fussed if it was next month, next year or next decade

These are wrong...

PS1 - £29.99
    PS2 - £39.99
    PS3 - £49.99

Xbox - £39.99
    Xbox 360 - £49.99

I'm guessing next gen will go to £59.99 RRP.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am still happy with my PS3 and have a massive list of games I still want to play so no, I am not counting the days until next generation.

The main reason I jumped on the PS3 so early is MS stopped supporting the Xbox so no new games and I wanted an HD version of XBMC which the PS3 covers well enough along with BluRay. That and the Wii didn't do much for me as my follow on console from an XBMC enabled Xbox.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    These are wrong...

PS1 - £29.99
    PS2 - £39.99
    PS3 - £49.99

Xbox - £39.99
    Xbox 360 - £49.99

Well i meant in terms of what you pay, the price won't go up, if it hasn't in the past 20 years why would it now
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm counting the days till GTA V.
  • steven123steven123 Posts: 3,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These are wrong...

PS1 - £29.99
    PS2 - £39.99
    PS3 - £49.99

Xbox - £39.99
    Xbox 360 - £49.99

Yours are wrong too.

I've played console games since the Atari 2600 (80s), though I don't remember exactly how much games were for that.

I know that game prices have typically been in the range £39.99 - £49.99 from the days of the 16 bit consoles like Megadrive (Genesis in US) and SNES right up to the present. Things were actually a bit worse price wise when we used cartridges as these were far dearer than discs to make, like (£10 vs 10p!) and even worse for high capacity cartridges hence some 'bigger' games were £59.99 or even £69.99 (!) for the odd special one like Virtua Racing on Megadrive.

Since the cartridge generation I haven't seen any excessively highly priced titles like £59.99 games (except special editions which are always overpriced) and we now have the benefit of online shops which make it much easier to find good deals on games, though I maintain that early adopters always get ripped off, hence I no longer buy consoles on release, far better to give them a few years to mature and for prices to become more sensible.

So in answer to the thread title, no, not in any hurry to see next gen systems come out, I think the 360 and PS3 are getting some of the best games they ever had, their online stores have excellent ranges of content and they can provide excellent media centre functionality with the likes of netflix.

Look at consoles past, none of them could do anything like the range of things the current ones can, IMHO we have never had it so good and the reason this generation has lasted so long (and continues to) is that there is simply no real need to change them as better development techniques and regular system software updates have kept them extremely competitive for their age.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steven123 wrote: »
    Yours are wrong too.

I've played console games since the Atari 2600 (80s), though I don't remember exactly how much games were for that.

I know that game prices have typically been in the range £39.99 - £49.99 from the days of the 16 bit consoles like Megadrive (Genesis in US) and SNES right up to the present. Things were actually a bit worse price wise when we used cartridges as these were far dearer than discs to make, like (£10 vs 10p!) and even worse for high capacity cartridges hence some 'bigger' games were £59.99 or even £69.99 (!) for the odd special one like Virtua Racing on Megadrive.

Since the cartridge generation I haven't seen any excessively highly priced titles like £59.99 games (except special editions which are always overpriced) and we now have the benefit of online shops which make it much easier to find good deals on games, though I maintain that early adopters always get ripped off, hence I no longer buy consoles on release, far better to give them a few years to mature and for prices to become more sensible.

So in answer to the thread title, no, not in any hurry to see next gen systems come out, I think the 360 and PS3 are getting some of the best games they ever had, their online stores have excellent ranges of content and they can provide excellent media centre functionality with the likes of netflix.

Look at consoles past, none of them could do anything like the range of things the current ones can, IMHO we have never had it so good and the reason this generation has lasted so long (and continues to) is that there is simply no real need to change them as better development techniques and regular system software updates have kept them extremely competitive for their age.

So which one of my prices were wrong?

Also ofcoarse cartridge based games were expensive, the cartridges themself were expensive. Optical media on the other hand costs pennies.
  • steven123steven123 Posts: 3,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So which one of my prices were wrong?

Also ofcoarse cartridge based games were expensive, the cartridges themself were expensive. Optical media on the other hand costs pennies.

No offence intended :) , the only one that was clearly wrong was PS1 games as they were £39.99-£49.99 like every other system since 16 bit times. Though in a funny way you were kinda right there as towards the end of the systems life (2000 onwards) games were quite commonly coming out at £29.99 presumably to keep sales strong.

Yes, The difference in price between cartridges and discs is immense, I know when the first CD systems were coming out, people and magazines were talking about how games could be released much cheaper than before, (e.g. £24.99 or £29.99) though that never really happened, guess the publishers or retailers just got a profit boost instead.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These are wrong...

PS1 - £29.99
    PS2 - £39.99
    PS3 - £49.99

Xbox - £39.99
    Xbox 360 - £49.99

You buy your games from the wrong places, then! I've never paid £49.99 for a game in the current gen (except for special editions). I do remember paying for some Megadrive games that cost that much, though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    You buy your games from the wrong places, then! I've never paid £49.99 for a game in the current gen (except for special editions). I do remember paying for some Megadrive games that cost that much, though.

We are talking RRP... :rolleyes:
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We are talking RRP... :rolleyes:

Who cares, though? If RRP has increased on every generation, but we're all actually paying the same price for games for the past 25 years, what does it matter?

Or, in other words; why would anyone care if RRP goes up each generation, if it has absolutely no real-world effect on any of us?

That was the original point, was it not? Would we be happy with an increased RRP on next-gen consoles? Well, if history shows that none of us actually pay the RRP and the actual cost has been much the same, then I'd assume the answer is "no one will care."

And we haven't even factored in inflation, either. When you consider we're paying pretty much the same in real-world figures, then factoring in inflation and we're all paying much less for our games.

Then factor in that the majority of gamers were young and not earning in the "golden oldie" days of gaming and have all grown up and got jobs now and the total cost of ownership goes down again.

So yeah, roll your eyes at whatever artificially-inflated price the RRP might be that I'm ignoring. I'm only considering the real world where I only care about what I actually pay for the games. Listed prices that have no real-world effect are as good as meaningless.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully they do come out sooner then later as pc users are always getting ported versions from the consoles at the moment.
  • barracuda91barracuda91 Posts: 3,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I'm totally excited for the release of the Wii U but I don't really care about the graphics. I play games more for their gameplay and story; having great graphics is more of a bonus for me really.
  • mojobrewmojobrew Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    So yeah, roll your eyes at whatever artificially-inflated price the RRP might be that I'm ignoring. I'm only considering the real world where I only care about what I actually pay for the games. Listed prices that have no real-world effect are as good as meaningless.

Except for Digital Download where there is a monopoly on pricing and you have to pay full RRP.

That's the only thing that worries me about a future where all games are DD via PSN/XBL - there's no pricing competition.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the same for me with all electronical goods. They are over priced to start with, I'll happily wait 2 years after release. I've got so many games to play on the current Xbox 360.

I bought my iPhone 3GS after the 4 came out because it was £300 cheaper, and I still use it now, works fine. I don't see why people go out and buy the latest thing when the price will come down in no time.
    Plus if you wait you can read reviews and wait until any issues are sorted out, rather than being frustrated at problems in your new over priced item.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, i'm quite happy with the consoles I have now thanks. I still have loads of games to complete or start on my 360 and Ps3.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_One wrote: »
    Nope, PC gaming is where its at :D

PC gaming was where it was at. Sadly no more.