Farting aliens!

Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
Forum Member
There is one thing that really ticks off and that is FARTING ALIENS being used as a weapon to be negative about series 1. :rolleyes:

They were included in 1 story and they didn't even fart it was the humans skin which caused it.

Series 2/7 have had even more silly things like blowjobs from pavements, Cybermen killed by love and dinosaurs in spaceships.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    I don't think anyone is bothered about whether it was their fault that they farted, more that the decision was made to include flatulence jokes in the first place.

Secondly, when counting Blon Fe Fotch, Slitheen appeared in three episodes of series one. That's almost a quarter of the series featuring them.

I did like the Slitheen in 'Revenge Of The Slitheen' though. They still farted, but they were better suited to SJA, and the costumes had improved in leaps and bounds (include the child slitheen).
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Scorpio2 wrote: »
    There is one thing that really ticks off and that is FARTING ALIENS being used as a weapon to be negative about series 1. :rolleyes:

They were included in 1 story and they didn't even fart it was the humans skin which caused it.

Series 2/7 have had even more silly things like blowjobs from pavements, Cybermen killed by love and dinosaurs in spaceships.

Wrong. It was caused by their being compressed into such a small space/ size, i.e the human form, as well as faulty compression units. The Slitheen themselves describe what a nuisance the "gas exchange" is.

I'M SHAKING....MY.....BOOTY......! :eek:

And personally, I HATE people using dinos on a spaceship to show how "silly" the episode is, cos that doesn't work. Taking into account the Silurians are already established as being technologically advanced to us, and the impending disaster they thought was coming, the idea that they created a "noah's ark" to preserve the Dinosaur species isn't really silly at all.
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were included in two stories (Boom Town being the other), totalling three episodes. They're therefore in almost a quarter of the episodes.
    Those episodes all come in for a lot of flack too, but in any case the other elements you mention are not prolonged.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Series 1 had a burping dustbin too. That was just as silly and cringe-worthy.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boom Town is underrated, probably because it features a Slitheen.

Christopher Eccleston put in a great performance as did Annette Badland. Good story too.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boom Town was a fantastic episode. One of my favorites from S1. The other aspects of the Slitheen were a good idea and quite creepy. But the toilet humour was horribly misplaced. It wasn't just totally unfunny but it was very un-Doctor Who. The show has been many things but never puerile. This was the only time it has been. Leave the fart jokes on the Disney channel and Adam Sandler films where they belong.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    Boom Town is underrated, probably because it features a Slitheen.

Christopher Eccleston put in a great performance as did Annette Badland. Good story too.

I agree. Even my Dad, who is an old-fashioned type of fellow who craves more pure historical episodes (like Marco Polo), very much enjoyed the concept of the Doctor taking an enemy out on "a date". It made very good character-digging dialogue.
    "That's how you live with yourself. Cus once, in a blue moon, when the wind's blowing in the right direction...you happen to be kind."

"Only a killer would know that..."

Fantastic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also the idea that having a wonderfully silly concept like Dinosaurs on a Spaceship is comparable to farting aliens is nonsense. One appeals to children in a wonderful and simplistic sense. The other is childish in an annoying way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree. Even my Dad, who is an old-fashioned type of fellow who craves more pure historical episodes (like Marco Polo), very much enjoyed the concept of the Doctor taking an enemy out on "a date". It made very good character-digging dialogue.

Fantastic.

Brilliant quote! I don't know why Boom Town isn't more loved...it was quite a pivotal episode for me getting into the new version of Who. It had a mixture of levity and dark drama that was very RTD and made me realize the show could and would go to interesting and exciting places that went beyond 'oooh look! Spaceships! Monsters! Boom!'.

It might sound mad but you could rewrite Boom Town as a political thriller/drama and it would retain its soul and character. And I thought it was brave at the time to have an episode like that and still do. In the face of so much running down on TV it marked out DW as very very smart.
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    "would you mind not farting while im saving the universe":D
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely nothing wrong with Dinosaurs On A Spaceship. It had humorous moments but it wasn't silly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant quote! I don't know why Boom Town isn't more loved...it was quite a pivotal episode for me getting into the new version of Who. It had a mixture of levity and dark drama that was very RTD and made me realize the show could and would go to interesting and exciting places that went beyond 'oooh look! Spaceships! Monsters! Boom!'.

It might sound mad but you could rewrite Boom Town as a political thriller/drama and it would retain its soul and character. And I thought it was brave at the time to have an episode like that and still do. In the face of so much running down on TV it marked out DW as very very smart.

Rather shallowly, I love the episode for it being the only one in Who history which has the Doctor speaking Welsh. :D Albeit briefly...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    "would you mind not farting while im saving the universe":D

*** "...the world"

This was that lovely period in NuWho where the rest of the universe was pretty much fine. :D I miss those times.
  • jellyfish7jellyfish7 Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    Series 1 had a burping dustbin too. That was just as silly and cringe-worthy.

I've always found that moment stops my suspension of disbelief.. along with the ninth doctor looning around in the background with that arm in another scene. Just some bits like
    that could have been avoided and really were quite embarassing to watch.. The rest of it was oh, so, good though..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tomwozhere wrote: »
    Absolutely nothing wrong with Dinosaurs On A Spaceship. It had humorous moments but it wasn't silly.

No it was an awful episode the only redeeming feature was the concept of a Silurian Ark apart from that it was a dreadful episode from story line to directing to the acting itself. I ended up warming to Arthur Weasley (sorry I can't remember his character's name or the actor's name but essentially he was playing Arthur Weasley in my opinion) in subsequent episodes but he just didn't work in the episode and could easily have been removed. :cool:

Oh yeah and farting aliens on Doctor Who was a massive mistake end of discussion. :D
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it was an awful episode the only redeeming feature was the concept of a Silurian Ark apart from that it was a dreadful episode from story line to directing to the acting itself. I ended up warming to Arthur Weasley (sorry I can't remember his character's name or the actor's name but essentially he was playing Arthur Weasley in my opinion) in subsequent episodes but he just didn't work in the episode and could easily have been removed. :cool:

Oh yeah and farting aliens on Doctor Who was a massive mistake end of discussion. :D

Nothing wrong with the storyline or the acting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tomwozhere wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with the storyline or the acting.

Couldn't disagree more - nothing personal though :p:D
  • VideoTapirVideoTapir Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To borrow a quote I heard from someone once: 'There's no point in being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes.'

Nothing wrong with Dr Who being silly on occasion, just as there's nothing wrong with it being dark sometimes, or scary, or sentimental, or triumphant. Just as long as there isn't too much singing.
  • scumcatscumcat Posts: 349
    Forum Member

Just to reopen the discussion, I rather liked DOAS and didn't mind the farting slitheen. They gave it a reason and included it in the story what's wrong with that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VideoTapir wrote: »
    To borrow a quote I heard from someone once: 'There's no point in being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes.'

Nothing wrong with Dr Who being silly on occasion, just as there's nothing wrong with it being dark sometimes, or scary, or sentimental, or triumphant. Just as long as there isn't too much singing.

Ok the farting is just one step too far and even though in principle I agree with the singing I did quite like The Rings of Akhaten even though I feel I shouldn't. :)
    scumcat wrote: »
    Just to reopen the discussion, I rather liked DOAS and didn't mind the farting slitheen. They gave it a reason and included it in the story what's wrong with that.
    Ok I accept the reason was actually pretty good but there just shouldn't have been any farting, as I stated above :D
    Forum Member
    VideoTapir wrote: »

Unless its Katherine Jenkins:eek::cool:
    Forum Member
    Ok the farting is just one step too far and even though in principle I agree with the singing I did quite like The Rings of Akhaten even though I feel I shouldn't. :)

The Rings of Akhaten is rubbish end of discussion;);)

Not really:D
  • Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    Also the idea that having a wonderfully silly concept like Dinosaurs on a Spaceship is comparable to farting aliens is nonsense. One appeals to children in a wonderful and simplistic sense. The other is childish in an annoying way.

Dinosaurs on a space ship was pre school quality. People that say Doctor Who is childish have a fair argument when you look at episodes like these.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dinosaurs on a space ship was pre school quality. People that say Doctor Who is childish have a fair argument when you look at episodes like these.

They don't though as such episodes are mercifully in the small minority and so do not contribute substantially to the overall tone of the series as a whole. :cool:
    Forum Member

The theme at the end was quite dark. It could be argued the Dr murdered Solomon the trader where in other cases he has spared life ie family of blood.