The Good Cook - Fridays 7.30pm BBC1

Comments

• MsLurkerMsLurker Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another smug cook who waffles on about how wonderful their cooking is. I know they got to describe the taste but do they have to pat themselves on the back so much. :rolleyes:
  • kate1kate1 Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    with dated recipes

Rick Stein on Spain actually breaths live into different things, coq a vin, steak and chips dosent cut it im afraid - dated old, and antique
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    The roast chicken recipe:
    He goes on about chicken skin being 'heaven'. It's not. It's bad for you. That's where the fat is.
    Then he takes the skin off the potatoes - that's where the goodness is.
    The skin is the best bit of the chicken¬ Just ask Eric Cartman ;)

I can understand about the potatoes. He wanted them peeled so they could soak up the stock.
    I suppose he could have cut them in half as a compromise but maybe with the slow cooking in the stock the skin would peel off and would not be appetising in the final dish.
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    The roast chicken recipe:
    He goes on about chicken skin being 'heaven'. It's not. It's bad for you. That's where the fat is.
    Then he takes the skin off the potatoes - that's where the goodness is.

He's not a nutritionist and his show isn't about healthy eating.
  • kingofcakeskingofcakes Posts: 2,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kate1 wrote: »
    Very good point, spot on.

Rick Steins programme on Spain has been a real eye opener not a risotto in sight neither steak or chips.

Think I saw Risotto made three times last week, so If you didnt catch it the first or second time..........

For me its just VERY BASIC FOOD

I don't think the show is meant to appeal to people such as yourself, who have a lot of experience in the kitchen, but rather is targeted at beginners.
    Forum Member
    Im a bit confused really what age group this programme appeals to........................

Ive done every dish that he has cooked and I am 39

Is it more for people just starting out?????
    Forum Member
    There are many 39 year olds out there who are just getting into cooking as it's become popular to do homecooking in the last 5-10 years or so.
  • jonjonsjonjons Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the camera shots of him swirling oil or sprinking flour- so clever

i think its an enjoyable show to watch. I dont really like the time slot though as its when we sit down for the friday night shabbat dinner. I would prefer they put it in the normal monday 8:30 bbc2 slot. Hows it doing in the ratings?
  • Zippy289Zippy289 Posts: 1,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know how good a cook this bloke is, because the arty-farty, overcooked production is so distracting. Do we really need slo-mo footage of an egg being beaten, let alone the ridiculous panning round the bowl using some flashy video/CGI technique? Worst of all are the idiot captions appearing on screen to tell you what a pinch of salt etc is.

It annoyed me so much, I had to change channels halfway through. :mad:
    Forum Member
    I haven't read up but seen him on a few shows before and apparently he was at his peak in the late 80s with michelin stars etc.

I'm not a fan of the visual effects or the music but the actual content is ok.
    Forum Member
    Its just old style cooking, the pear salad is from the 70's. If you want to learn or be inspired for new dishes, look at Rick Steins Spain - and its not your normal run of the mill stuff.
    Forum Member
    Seriously if this programme is inspirational, what are we all eating? I mean that seriously aswell............
    Forum Member
    I eat steak & chips every week. Nowt wrong with seeing how other people like to cook theirs.
    Forum Member
    So out of interest what ARE we all eating be interesting to do a poll - if this programme is an inspiring incite, what the heck is everybody eating. I dont do processed food, cook everything from scratch, from soups, salads, tons of vegetables, not too many carbs, not turkey twizzlers, no pre cooked meals, takeaway occassionally - If I dont eat vegetables in two days I start to feel quite low on energy, Im not a health freak either, cos I have the over the government recommendation in alcohol units......... but thats another debate on its own
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Its just old style cooking, the pear salad is from the 70's. If you want to learn or be inspired for new dishes, look at Rick Steins Spain - and its not your normal run of the mill stuff.

It's pretty clear from this and your earlier comments that you don't like the programme or the type of food cooked. Fair enough.

Simon Hopkinson is known for loving eating and for cooking simple food superlatively well. It seems to me the purpose of the programme is to show other people how to make good, simple food which tastes delicious. Perhaps that isn't as exciting as some other programmes. I don't think it needs to be.

Huge numbers of people watching TV cookery shows don't know how to cook anything - they just heat things up. Loads of people eat junk - this may inspire someone to roast a chicken.
    Forum Member
    Ah so Hugh, Jamie Oliver, Gordon Ramsay, Nigel Slater, Rick Stein, Philip Vickery, Gino De Campo, Richard Corrigan, Gary Rhodes, Delia Smith, Michelle Roux, (and his son) Gordon Ramsay, Nigella Lawson, Rachel, we havent learned how to cook basic stuff - sorry no. Its the same old recipes. So what have all the previous chefs been doing and what makes this guy current?
    Forum Member
    Or maybe it's for the people who haven't watched those shows or want a different take on the recipies.

I watched Heston's perfection program the other night and there's no way I would faff on creating his burger or steak.
    Forum Member
    They are dishes that we should all be cooking naturally unless you are living on turkey twizzlers, there not expensive, not complicated. So I will ask again. What is everybody eating?
    Forum Member
    And if you've never cooked them before then this is the perfect show to learn. Good point ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Ah so Hugh, Jamie Oliver, Gordon Ramsay, Nigel Slater, Rick Stein, Philip Vickery, Gino De Campo, Richard Corrigan, Gary Rhodes, Delia Smith, Michelle Roux, (and his son) Gordon Ramsay, Nigella Lawson, Rachel, we havent learned how to cook basic stuff - sorry no. Its the same old recipes. So what have all the previous chefs been doing and what makes this guy current?

Sorry, yes. Many people still haven't learned to cook basic stuff. New audiences come to TV programmes all the time - perhaps they haven't seen previous ones. Perhaps they don't like foul-mouthed shouty chefs. Who knows?

According to a recent article in The Guardian, Simon Hopkinson was commissioned for series of programmes making all his favourite dishes. This series is the result. He's obviously 'current' in TV terms.

You say you're an experienced cook. Me too. But I like Simon Hopkinson and I like his approach to food and cooking. If you like other chefs with other approaches, fine. We can't all like the same things.
    Forum Member
    I agree, but I have roasted chickens for 18 years so I really dont see the point in this programme - its another slot filler with the BBC couldnt come up with anything more interesting.

So "whats new" Ive seen risotto three times this week
  • TheAuburnEnigmaTheAuburnEnigma Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kate, we get that you don't like the program or the recipes. Fair enough.

We get that you're a cook who's 39 years old and that you've been doing those recipes for years. Again, fair enough.

But just because you don't like it, doesn't mean you should carry on complaining about the same things and trying to dissuade the rest of the FM's from watching it.

If you want to praise Rick Stein's Spain, then make a thread/post in the show thread about it.

I just don't see why you need to keep going on over and over again like a broken record. You're twice my age and yet you can rival a teenager with the amount of complaining you've done on here.

Seriously, if you really don't like it that much, then don't post.
    Forum Member
    If Im twice your age you should know how to cook
    Forum Member
    I've been cooking for about 15 years and have even had a stint in a professional kitchen and I have never roasted a chicken.

I was contemplating it after watching the show the other night.
    Forum Member
    Once again, seeming nobody has answered, what the hell is this nation cooking - that this guy inspires, can nobody do a dressing for a salad - Lemon, oil, salt and pepper, simples