LG Nexus 4 officially announced

Comments

• StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    finbaar wrote: »
    The first thing I did with my N4 was put CM10.1 milestone 2 on it, I have never ran stock on it. CM is great on the N4. However now I am running PA3.10 and I like having a merged notification bar on the bottom, it maximises the screen. Paired with Faux kernel it works great.

The whole purpose of a Nexus is to mod it. Well for me any way.

I found CM10 didnt run as well as stock. If its quiet tonight at work i may try PA.
  • BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    For me the purpose of the Nexus 4 is to get a pure Android experience the way Google intended and the latest updates OTA the day they are released all at a reasonable price point.

Same here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The vibrate is a bit too weak for my liking(no smutty replies thank you). The speaker on the back is also a bit irritating as it makes the ringtone rather quiet. Apart from that its a cracking phone
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    For me the purpose of the Nexus 4 is to get a pure Android experience the way Google intended and the latest updates OTA the day they are released all at a reasonable price point.

Is the N4 any better for modding than a S3? I would have thought things like an SD card slot would be helpful when modding.

I don't want another argument about what the purpose of a Nexus is. My final word on this is I disagree with you. For me I need more control over my phone than stock. A better kernel decent colour calibration is a must on the N4 as the stock experience is poor.

The big advantage of a Nexus over anything else is the fact that all kernels work with all Roms. On TouchWiz devices AOSP kernels are not compatible with stock ROMs and visa versa. A Nexus is also built to have its bootloader unlocked. A SD card would add nothing to the ease of modding to a nexus.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jemimabond wrote: »
    The vibrate is a bit too weak for my liking(no smutty replies thank you). The speaker on the back is also a bit irritating as it makes the ringtone rather quiet. Apart from that its a cracking phone

The weak vibration is a kernel issue. It is fixed in most custom kernels, same as the screen.
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    I returned my Nexus 4. Its a good phone but I didn't like the following compared to my S2:

the on screen menu buttons (home, back and menu)
    Its quite wide in the hand
    Holding down the menu button doesn't function the search like it does in Samsung phones
    no stock browser (which I prefer to chrome)
    Quite a lot of space above and below the screen

im very picky so have to have everything perfect, feel the s2 does everything great, going to upgrade to another Samsung - s4 or note 2
  • Stuart PStuart P Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no stock browser (which I prefer to chrome)
    that is one of my hates too. much prefer the stock browser on the htc one
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you prefer the old Android browser over Chrome (wrong on so many levels but each to there own) then just download it and use it.

If you think a N4 is wide compared to a S2 then keep away from the S4 and particularly the Note.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you prefer the old Android browser over Chrome (wrong on so many levels but each to there own) then just download it and use it.
    have you got a link please
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you think a N4 is wide compared to a S2 then keep away from the S4 and particularly the Note.

You have to root the Nexus 4 (or 7) to get the stock browser. There's a file within the Android system that you need to edit for it to work, so it's not as simple as just installing it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    You have to root the Nexus 4 (or 7) to get the stock browser. There's a file within the Android system that you need to edit for it to work, so it's not as simple as just installing it.
    thank you. didn't think it was as easy as finbaar implied.
  • Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »

It seems Google have decided Android user's no longer want the stock browser.
    Forum Member
    Chrome is decent, but there is no option for screen brightness (like Samsung have in their stock browser). so the screen is way too bright and I could turn down the overall brightness of the phone but want just the chrome browser to be less bright
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    Hugh_ wrote: »

.... or that google chrome has advanced enough to become the stock browser. You cant please everybody all the time.

With Android though, if you dont like Googles choices, you can simply choose what you would like to be the default browser. Im not sure you can do this on iOS can you :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    Im not sure you can do this on iOS can you :confused:
    why has this become about ios all of a sudden?
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    err the stock browser is really a basic old early of Chrome.

Its worth noting that for web browsers, in IOS everything but Safari is forced to be a basic old slow version of Webkit.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Its been superseded.

On Android though if you prefer another browser, like dolphin or firefox as your default it can easily be changed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The weak vibration is a kernel issue. It is fixed in most custom kernels, same as the screen.

What do you mean Kernel? What should I do with it?
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dolphin Browser I find it excellent on the N4. I really don't like chrome though but have set Dolphin as the default and off I go!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You can change it back if you really wanted. But Chrome is adequate. Fortunately on Android there are also loads of other browsers to choose from should you wish.

I think Chrome is ok for me and the level of browsing I do on my phone.
    Forum Member
    slick1two wrote: »
    Dolphin Browser I find it excellent on the N4. I really don't like chrome though but have set Dolphin as the default and off I go!

Dolphin is good, although Boat browser is better. there is a gestures thing where you don't have to click anything before the gestures like dolphin, you could just do a S on the screen, and it would do the search function
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think it's that. I'm sure the Nexus 4 vibration pattern changed with 4.2.2. Before when I got a notification, it used to be 3 long-ish vibrations...now it's just 2 short ones almost like the vibration equivalent of a double tap...

I guess it's less intrusive now, but sometimes I miss notifications if I'm not paying attention. You could use this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ac.vibration. An app called Contact Vibrate, then change the pattern to something more noticeable..
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    Stuart P wrote: »
    why has this become about ios all of a sudden?

all of a sudden ???
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    Chrome is decent, but there is no option for screen brightness (like Samsung have in their stock browser). so the screen is way too bright and I could turn down the overall brightness of the phone but want just the chrome browser to be less bright

never noticed that to be honest , mind you , i am using the dolphin browser most of the time ...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In the stock kernel the vibration is weak, a well reported fault. The devs that have built custom kernels have usually included the option to increase the vibration intensity. If you are interested you need to read up on it. There are several to choose from over at XDA.