Which shops do you refuse to step foot in?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will never shop in Asda again after they shot and killed a little pair of House Sparrows recently, because they couldn't be arsed to set proper humane traps and take advice from bird organisations to safely remove them from one of their stores. :mad:
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,037
    Forum Member
    flicker wrote:
    I will never shop in Asda again after they shot and killed a little pair of House Sparrows recently, because they couldn't be arsed to set proper humane traps and take advice from bird organisations to safely remove them from one of their stores. :mad:

The Sparrows probably ended up being labelled small chickens, and got put in the store's frozen meats section
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flicker wrote:

I remember a branch of Wyevales Garden Centres did something similar a couple of years ago. A robin had nested in their tea room. They said they would lose money if they closed the tea room until the fledglings had flown. It was against Health and Safety regs to leave them where people were eating. So they had the birds killed. :(
  • charlie1charlie1 Posts: 10,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flicker wrote:

Poor things! :(

I've just looked up info about the birds and apparently it's not illegal to shoot them.

I read about 1 woman who traps them and cuts off their heads using a sharp pair of scissors.

She did try another method where she put them in bags and tied them to the exhaust pipe on her car, but that's wasn't an efficient method for her. :mad:
  • Grand DizzyGrand Dizzy Posts: 7,369
    Forum Member
    I won't shop at ASDA because of the subliminal advertising and child exploitation.

I generally avoid any shop with loudspeaker advertising, although it's not as bad if you can clearly hear what they're saying. (I have to stop and listen.) Some shops though (like ASDA) play it too quiet to consciously hear, ie subliminally. No way I'm going anywhere near that and being brainwashed into buying their crap!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Womans shops, even with my gf i would stay outside lol

oh and burger king, horrible
  • SmeggypantsSmeggypants Posts: 16,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PC World as I dont like the staff that shop there and prices..

I couldn't agree more. The prices are horrendous
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    I'm with the original poster.

ASDA. Awful awful place.

I've only been in one, but that was enough. I felt like I'd walked onto the set of "Deliverance". I expected to see a toothless banjo player at the end of each aisle.

Do they bus the customers in specially?

Dan
  • charlie1charlie1 Posts: 10,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan Sette wrote:
    I'm with the original poster.

ASDA. Awful awful place.

I've only been in one, but that was enough. I felt like I'd walked onto the set of "Deliverance". I expected to see a toothless banjo player at the end of each aisle.

Do they bus the customers in specially?

Dan

Despite what Flicker mentioned earlier, I do think that the staff in Asda are one of the friendliest out of all the supermarkets.

But as for some of the customers! :eek:
  • SproggSprogg Posts: 16,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I manage to buy all I need at prices as low or lower than Tesco and I don't need their pathetic 'every little helps' rubbish. Read Welsh-lad's post for verifying exactly my point about them taking over.
    I wasn't being sarcastic. If you look through my posts you will see that I can't bear Tesco. A hideous company.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vision Express. The one in the Gyle Edinburgh didn't last long. They were OK to start with then the staff got really rude. I wrote a very strong letter to their HO.
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I once made the mistake of going in Phones 4 U to buy a phone. They have lots of tables at the back of their shops where you get interrogated in why you want the phone & they want loads of other details. I must have been in there for about 20 mins :mad:

And as soon as you walk in their shops you get pounced on by the staff straight away as theyre hanging around by the entrance all the time.

I'll stick to Carphone Warehouse :D
  • Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not in the least bit snobbish about any store or shop. I shop anywhere from Fortnum and Mason to Lidl and everywhere in between.

But, I absolutely refuse to shop in Tesco as they are intent on taking over the world and closing down every individual shop. One day, all there will be to shop in will be Tesco.

Reminds me of a cartoon in Private Eye, a couple of months ago, of a car passing a sign at the side of the road "Last Tesco for 400 yards".

They took over a local petrol station a couple of years ago and opened one of their small supermarkets. The local newsagent has since closed, and another local corner shop is clearly struggling. Although to be fair Tesco sells a much wider range, and were originally well priced.

I've noticed that over the last 5 or 6 months, the prices have steadily risen, esp for wine, and fruit and veg. They've also gone over to selling more expensive "value added" small pre-prepared packs of vegetables, and less and less cheap loose vegetables. Also, you can now only buy small packets of other products, which are more expensive.
  • donlothariodonlothario Posts: 5,289
    Forum Member
    Some people on here are sad, sorry, snobs with their heads so firmly inserted in their nether regions that it is a wonder they can actually see what town they are in, let alone what shop!
  • 001_ATLANTIS001_ATLANTIS Posts: 2,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I might be totally wrong but I have this mental ranking of the various supermarkets. It doesn't stop me shopping in any of them though.

Asda - IS a bit Chavvy!
    Morrisons - Ditto
    Tesco - For the masses
    Sainsbury's - Bit posher
    Waitrose - For the toffs!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lush and any other store that smells of sh*t.
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    Asda - IS a bit Chavvy!

Burberry by George.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    c0lefax wrote:
    i.e. Beaties?

No Beatties is OK :)

I am also boycotting Comet because they are taking over 2 weeks to get my fridge freezer sorted :mad:
  • ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    pault2006 wrote:
    I used to think PC World was good - until I got the Internet!

:D

Have you seen the 'Brown-box' range?

No instructions or bubble-wrap inside. :eek:
    I like them. My latest HDD came from there, dirt cheap. No real boxes or manuals or anything, but I resent paying for that with components, because I build PCs!
    Ads wrote:
    Dixons (now called Curry Digital) - the world's most clueless shop staff. Do they actually train their staff on what they are selling?
    No, they train them to sell, that's their job.

Plus if they had to train them on the products, they'd spend more time in the classroom than on the shop floor.

Knowing a bit about everything is better than knowing about a short range of products on sale especially in a store like Currys who sell washing machines, AV equipment, Hifi, TV, PCs etc etc.
    Forum Member
    I might be totally wrong but I have this mental ranking of the various supermarkets. It doesn't stop me shopping in any of them though.

Asda - IS a bit Chavvy!
    Morrisons - Ditto
    Tesco - For the masses
    Sainsbury's - Bit posher
    Waitrose - For the toffs!
    Morrisons is not chavy. It's good value for money and to be honest, the Morrisons own brand stuff is better than Tesco. Waitrose rules though, but there's too many chavs in Nottm to have one!
  • ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sayhey wrote:
    Sainsbury's - Some staff and customers are a bit snobish for my liking.

Music Zone - One of there staff made a bitchy comment about my taste in music, advised him that I was there to make a purchase not for his opinion. I believe they have gone under.
    :eek: Hey! :mad: :p
  • CHUTNEYCHUTNEY Posts: 16,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote:
    No Beatties is OK :)

I am also boycotting Comet because they are taking over 2 weeks to get my fridge freezer sorted :mad:

More fool you for going there in the first place. :rolleyes:
    (My tv from Comet is A1........... :o:p )
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ForestChav wrote:
    Morrisons is not chavy. It's good value for money and to be honest, the Morrisons own brand stuff is better than Tesco. Waitrose rules though, but there's too many chavs in Nottm to have one!

Agreed. I always shop at Morrisons.
    Forum Member
    CHUTNEY wrote:
    More fool you for going there in the first place. :rolleyes:
    (My tv from Comet is A1........... :o:p )
    That kind of thing isn't the store's fault though, they can't be responsible for defects caused by the manufacturer. They're meant to resolve it, but that's different, and in any case they will just refer it to the manufacturer anyway.

Few retailers have the methods to repair goods themselves.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 285
    Forum Member
    I would love to, but just can't, set foot in any LUSH stores. I tried to go in there just before Christmas to look for presents for people, but literally couldn't take more than three steps before the smell got so overpowering I just had to turn and walk right back out. Goodness only knows how the staff serve in there all day long!

I'm also not really a fan of New Look, simply because I don't really like the clothes they sell, and The Disney Shop- I LOVE Disney, but the shops always seem so tiny when they're being blocked with pushchairs. They should make the spaces between towers etc bigger for more people to get around. I love the stores, but can never get around them so don't tend to bother anymore :(