Only 10 songs on Justin Timberlakes new album??

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
Forum Member
Wait for 7 years and you only get 10 tracks!

Track List:

Pusher Love Girl

Suit & Tie

Don’t Hold the Wall

Strawberry Bubblegum

Tunnel Vision

Spaceship Coupe

That Girl

Let the Groove Get In

Mirrors

Blue Ocean Floor

http://amarudontv.com/2013/02/07/justin-timberlake-reveals-2020-album-cover-and-tracklisting/

Comments

• Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    I don't mind that much tbh. And it doesn't seem like 7 years, since he was still featuring on songs everywhere for years after. It was only really 2011 and 2012 without him in the charts.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quality over quantity.
    Bigger isn't always better...look at I Am Sasha Fierce and all the unnecessary tracks crammed into that album.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    Quality over quantity.
    Bigger isn't always better...look at I Am Sasha Fierce and all the unnecessary tracks crammed into that album.

That was a good album with the exception of a couple tracks. 10 isn't bad, though it could be seen as too little. Id rather that, than a 20-something track album like nickI minaj's.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    I much prefer albums that stick to 9-11 tracks. Often albums that have more are really filled.

Look at your favourite albums, I bet they're low on numbers.

--
    thinkofmusic.com
  • gelbma0991gelbma0991 Posts: 4,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as they're ten good songs - I'd rather have that than an album of 20 songs that I skip half of because they're utter filler :p
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I prefer low albums because I don't get bored of them! I find that with albums that last maybe 14 tracks plus I start to lose interest.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the only album that ever worked with more than 12 tracks was Christina's Stripped. 20 songs on that and each one perfect.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the only album that ever worked with more than 12 tracks was Christina's Stripped. 20 songs on that and each one perfect.

Yes, perfect example
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Not that short really. Some of my favourite albums only have about 10 or 11 songs. And some of Madonna's earlier albums are very short. True Blue only has 9 songs and her debut only had 8!
  • Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Less filler, probably keep the rubbish for the re-release!
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 79,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Less filler, probably keep the rubbish for the re-release!

This.

Bound to be a "deluxe" edition down the line:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ALbums in the 1980s in Pop music traditionally had 8 - 10 (10 being seen as unusual) songs per albums there and there abouts and was very rare for an album to exceed this...in the 90s onwards we have seen albums surpass the 15 song mark...and even some albums reaching 20 plus with interludes etc (thank you Janet Jackson...here is looking AT you lol!) some work with massive albums whereas others simply do not and become fillery and nonsensical if they do not have a concept or cohesive message.

So therefore i guess this represents a kinda old skool way of thinking with 10 songs....although tbh Suit + TIe i find totally dire and i am not a massive fan...at all really...but i must say i do admire this way of thought....dont come back with 16 plus songs on an album to say "sorry for being away for a decade" make an album that is stronger based on fewer songs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    I agree with the "less filler" comment, but after a 6-year hiatus, 10 good tracks is all he can come up with. And if 'Suit n' Tie' is the best this album has to offer, I'm terrified of what might be in store with the remaining 9 :eek:
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It depends on the quality of course and as long as all 10 are brilliant songs what should it matter but personally for me 12 tracks is the perfect number not too many and not too little. And 7 years after a full album i do feel short changed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Only album? :eek: I can think of at least a hundred critically acclaimed albums that were perfect and had 14 songs or more.

I'd say it's not about the amount of tracks but more the duration. It might be 10 tracks but could still be 50 minutes of music in total.
  • SamMcKSamMcK Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, perfect example

Yeah, there's a band called the Beatles that made some good albums with exactly 14 tracks. (Revolver, Rubber Soul, Help, Beatles For Sale, With The Beatles, Please Please Me.)
  • LMLM Posts: 63,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamMcK wrote: »
    Yeah, there's a band called the Beatles that made some good albums with exactly 14 tracks. (Revolver, Rubber Soul, Help, Beatles For Sale, With The Beatles, Please Please Me.)

Rather arrogant of you to say there's a band called the beatles, as if I am not aware of who they are. :rolleyes:
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    ALbums in the 1980s in Pop music traditionally had 8 - 10 (10 being seen as unusual) songs per albums there and there abouts and was very rare for an album to exceed this...in the 90s onwards we have seen albums surpass the 15 song mark...and even some albums reaching 20 plus with interludes etc (thank you Janet Jackson...here is looking AT you lol!) some work with massive albums whereas others simply do not and become fillery and nonsensical if they do not have a concept or cohesive message.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, Madonna's 80s albums were rather short. I was initially shocked to discover True Blue only had 9 songs! I only found out when I bought it. It's a good album though. And her debut only had 8! What about her other 80s albums JP? Is Like A Prayer a very short album as well?
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,913
    Forum Member
    That's not always a bad thing. Some of my favourite albums only have 10 or 11 tracks on them. :) I'd rather a short good album than a long album with lots of filler.