'Maleficent' - Tim Burton- Based on 'Sleeping Beauty'.

molybecksmolybecks Posts: 14,553
Forum Member
✭✭
I am actually quite excited for this (if it does happen).

I have always loved Maleficent (the evil witch?) from Disney's 'sleeping beauty' and have always wondered what a live action version would be like.

Not too sure of Angelina Jolie as her (the lips?) but still could be great.

Anyone else hoping for this?

Comments

• LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes but not Angelina Jolie.
  • M. TouretteM. Tourette Posts: 6,967
    Forum Member
    Yes but not Angelina Jolie.

Angelina Jolie wants to do it but you can bet your ass that "Mrs Burton" will get the part yet again and screw it up as she has done with all her other roles in Burton films.
  • mangomoonmangomoon Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would rather Helena got it than Angelina, but I despise them both. I think if Angelina wants it then she will get it. Neither of them have the image at all.
  • SandsssSandsss Posts: 3,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No not Angelina. I want to see Tim Burton and Michelle Pfeiffer do this together.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    First time I've heard of this! Love Tim Burton. But I don't want Angelina Jolie (please) anywhere near it. Would like someone other than Helena in it though. And please don't have Johnny Depp as the Woodcutter or something! I love Depp/Burton movies, really I do. But it would be nice to have a change.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    I don't think he will go for either Angelina or Helena. I could see him going for someone like Anne Hathaway
  • molybecksmolybecks Posts: 14,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think he will go for either Angelina or Helena. I could see him going for someone like Anne Hathaway

Visually I think Anne could be quite good as Maleficent, but i'm not sure on the acting side of it. It's quite a big role. Kind of like 'Wicked' - The witches side of the story.

Will this be based on the Disney version? I.e. live action disney?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molybecks wrote: »
    Visually I think Anne could be quite good as Maleficent, but i'm not sure on the acting side of it. It's quite a big role. Kind of like 'Wicked' - The witches side of the story.

Will this be based on the Disney version? I.e. live action disney?

She's too young for this role anyway
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Angelina Jolie wants to do it but you can bet your ass that "Mrs Burton" will get the part yet again and screw it up as she has done with all her other roles in Burton films.

I thought she was very good in Planet Of The Apes
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    Susan Sarandon was fantastic as the evil witch in Enchanted. Totally over-the-top and very camp, but brilliant. If she played that role straight in Burton's movie, I expect she could be quite menacing.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pharoah wrote: »
    She's too young for this role anyway

No way. Surely anything from 20-40 would be alright because they could spin the role any way they wanted. A younger Maleficent could be interesting.

I highly doubt Helena Bonham-Carter will do it. I think someone taller and thinner, more cold-looking, would be much better for it. Helena was perfect for the Red Queen in Alice In Wonderland so it was right for her to have that role. Burton won't cast her in something that's not right for her. She could still be in the film, of course, just not as Maleficent.

I want this to be good, though AIW was completely screwed (and not in a good way). Helena was one of the only good things about it. Johnny Depp was OK but because most things around him were naff, including Alice, it didn't work as well as it should. It's a shame it wasn't made years ago then Keira Knightley could have played Alice, which would have been great as she plays off Johnny so well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has there been any news on this? I'd love for it to happen. I bet it'd be visually amazing!
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    No not Helena, she just won't be right for Maleficent.
  • GortGort Posts: 7,460
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    No not Helena, she just won't be right for Maleficent.

She could easily characterise the role and she'd do a good job doing that, too, but if you're going for the look in the Disney animation, then she's physically not for the part, at least not in my eyes (would need to be taller). Still, I suppose it depends on how canon you want it to be (and whether the Disney film should be seen as sacrosanct). If Helena Bonham Carter got the role, I'm sure she'd make it interesting, canon or not, but maybe it's a role for someone else.
  • M. TouretteM. Tourette Posts: 6,967
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    I thought she was very good in Planet Of The Apes

there are only a couple of times when a director has pulled a decent performance out of Helena Bonham Carter - Fight Club and the recent Enid
    She is pretty lacklustre in every role she does, Mrs Lovett is a prime example of a weak performance throwing the balance of what could have been an excellent film off course.

She could never be described as a talented actress. The only talent she has is for getting the work not acting in it.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    Gort wrote: »
    She could easily characterise the role and she'd do a good job doing that, too, but if you're going for the look in the Disney animation, then she's physically not for the part, at least not in my eyes (would need to be taller). Still, I suppose it depends on how canon you want it to be (and whether the Disney film should be seen as sacrosanct). If Helena Bonham Carter got the role, I'm sure she'd make it interesting, canon or not, but maybe it's a role for someone else.

I was just thinking of the Disney version when I wrote that :)
    She was good in Fight Club.
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You mean he'll pick Johnny Depp in drag?
    Forum Member
    there are only a couple of times when a director has pulled a decent performance out of Helena Bonham Carter - Fight Club and the recent Enid
    She is pretty lacklustre in every role she does, Mrs Lovett is a prime example of a weak performance throwing the balance of what could have been an excellent film off course.

She could never be described as a talented actress. The only talent she has is for getting the work not acting in it.

Well, I suppose everyone has the right to an opinion and you've just exercised yours. Still, your opinion doesn't take away the opinion of those who think she's talented, which she is, in my opinion. BTW, she was great as Mrs Lovett and perfectly complimented Depp.

I suspect she stole your lollipop or something, and you're still bitter about it. ;)
  • RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anjelica Huston
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think (strangely) Helena would do great as the part of Maleficent. I could imagine her pulling of the scary looks. I'll be honest, i'm wary of Maleficent as a cartoon character..let alone live action :D
  • LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Michelle Pfieffer would be great for the part. She was fantastic as the evil witch in Stardust.
    Forum Member
    molybecks wrote: »
    I think (strangely) Helena would do great as the part of Maleficent. I could imagine her pulling of the scary looks. I'll be honest, i'm wary of Maleficent as a cartoon character..let alone live action :D

Yeah, I think she'd be fine in the role, even if she doesn't look like the character in Disney's Sleeping Beauty. However, for the doubters out there, let me throw in Tilda Swinton, who was the White Witch in the Narnia films. She has height and has done a similar role.
  • Ricky D GervaisRicky D Gervais Posts: 2,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As much as I hate the woman, Angelina Jolie was born to play this part. She's about the most evil-seeming creature I've ever seen, there's nobody more suited.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As much as I hate the woman, Angelina Jolie was born to play this part. She's about the most evil-seeming creature I've ever seen, there's nobody more suited.

LMAO! Yeah she is quite evil looking but this may sound a bit....biased? But I can't imagine Jolie's lips on the character as Malef :o
  • Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    Like another poster has already said I think Anjelica Houston would be brilliant at it.

I'll get stoned for this but I'd love it if Meryl Streep took a run at it.