Best games console. for 6 yr old?

LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
Forum Member
Im thinking of getting my grand daughter a games console for xmas but not to sure what type or make to get.

Shes got a DS which she seems to have grown out of. The games dont seem to appeal to her any more.

Her mam bought a Wii 2 xmas ago and she loves the dancing games on that.Plays some of the Marios things like that.

Her mam has got one of those iphones and she loves playing games on there so I was wondering what would be a good games console for her. I dont understand how they work lol...so it would have to be something she or her mam could understand lol.

Is there anything she can hold in her hands not plugged to the tv. I dont want to spend silly amounts just a resonable price as its only xmas once a year as she keeps telling me...ohh and something that the games dont cost an arm and a leg.
Thanks

Comments

• BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LaineyT wrote: »
    Im thinking of getting my grand daughter a games console for xmas but not to sure what type or make to get.

Shes got a DS which she seems to have grown out of. The games dont seem to appeal to her any more.

Her mam bought a Wii 2 xmas ago and she loves the dancing games on that.Plays some of the Marios things like that.

Her mam has got one of those iphones and she loves playing games on there so I was wondering what would be a good games console for her. I dont understand how they work lol...so it would have to be something she or her mam could understand lol.

Is there anything she can hold in her hands not plugged to the tv. I dont want to spend silly amounts just a resonable price as its only xmas once a year as she keeps telling me...ohh and something that the games dont cost an arm and a leg.
    Thanks

That's a tough set of criteria. I don't think the PS3 or Xbox360 have much for a six year old and she already has a wii. Generally Nintendo do release more games for the younger gamer. The new Wii U comes out in November but you would probably need to pre-order it and the basic model is about £250 I believe so it's not cheap.

All games consoles do need to be plugged into a tv. The alternative is the iPad but they're even more expensive and I'd not advise getting one for a young child anyway.

Either stick with the wii and get some new games for it or consider the Wii U. In the next couple of years the Xbox and playstation lines will have new models and your grand daughter will be a bit older so there may be titles on those new platforms to consider buying in future too. Generally the Microsoft and Sony offerings are geared towards older children and adults though. Good luck.
  • LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that Brooklynboy. Im useless with things like that if I can log on my laptop I think Im clever :rolleyes:

Its just I dont want to go out and get talked into something that wouldnt be much good for her.

She did say she wanted a Playstation?? Its going to be her main xmas present off me and grand dad I talked her out of a set of drums :D
  • BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for that Brooklynboy. Im useless with things like that if I can log on my laptop I think Im clever :rolleyes:

Its just I dont want to go out and get talked into something that wouldnt be much good for her.

She did say she wanted a Playstation?? Its going to be her main xmas present off me and grand dad I talked her out of a set of drums :D

Well, the playstation 3 has at least a couple of years of life left in it before the ps4 is launched. As an adult with a PS3 but without children I'm not aware of a large number of games available that are designed for young children. Others with families may give better information. It is designed for adults, families or older children generally. There is a disney game of sort out there and such titles as little big planet may be suitable. Games range in price from a couple of pounds for mini downloads to full price at what I guess is £35-50. It of course needs to be plugged into the tv. You would need an Internet connection for it to download anything.

I know there are games a six year old could enjoy but it's generally geared towards older gamers. Then again, your six grand daughter is getting older so she could grow into other titles.

I hope others can give further advice.
  • kaniakania Posts: 6,252
    Forum Member
    I've a five year old boy who loves the playstation but I admit it's boys games he likes, like the lego series and assassin's creed (I have blood turned off lol). He finds the controller easy to handle (I'm saying this because I've played on the xbox and I didn't like the controller and think it's to do with having small hands). :o

There's a few games suitable for your grand daughter, like the singstar series, that's fun, and little big planet. She may also like lego harry potter if she's into the movies. Think I've seen a Hannah Montana game too.

You can also pay for and download games like angry birds for a couple of quid I believe, plus there's other mini games which are fun for boy or girl and are cheap. That's if they connect to it to the net of course.

I can't comment on the xbox. Until my mum does the decent thing like you're doing, and stumps up for a console he doesn't have for Christmas, it's unlikely I'll get to know. I may mention this thread to her. :(;)

Edited to add - the lego games are really fun for two player co-op so would be good games for your daughter and grand daughter together. I enjoy playing them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's not a lot between the consoles really so if she's asked for a playstation I'd just get her what she wanted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Playstation has Little Big Planet, Eye Pet pretty good for small children.

Not sure if it is worth getting a new console though, unless other people play it as well

Wii does have lots of small children games
  • sheep88sheep88 Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree get her what she wants. My five year old boy loves Lego Harry Potter and Lego Pirates of the Caribbean and my 3 year old is fascinated by the Lego games. There are other games to do with films too that she may like. Get her a playstation move with it if you can alot of the games that support it are good for children. There is a game called Wonderbook Of Spells coming out that uses the move and also Sorcery if she's into magic. There's also eyepet where she can look after her own pet too.
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    How about a Playstation Vita?
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP a Nintendo Wii or a 3DS they have alot of good games for young ages.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My 6 year old loves the little big planet games on the ps3.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks

the new super slim PS3 looks ok for a child

no hard drive

£158 in morrisons
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    The new IPod touches are out they start at £170. If she likes your daughters IPhone she can play all the same games on one of those plus she gets all the other features i.e. music player, camera, video recorder internet access over wifi etc. IOS games are A LOT cheaper than console games but they are genearly a lot more light in terms of content but thats probably no bad thing for a 6 year old.

PS3 is probably the best console option at the minute but if you wait a year for next Xmas i think the Wii U will probably be a better console experience once it has had chance to get some decent software support.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,342
    Forum Member

no hard drive

£158 in morrisons

for realsies???
  • CaptnSpauldingCaptnSpaulding Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member

no hard drive

£158 in morrisons

Thought it came with a 12GB SSD HDD? :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about considering the new Wii U. She's used to the Wii and the mario games so she would be familiar with it. Just a thought :)
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    For a 6 year old? I'd say a PS2 as there's a huge catalogue of games and plenty of children titles and as a bonus it's very cheap too. It's more than good enough for a child of that age, I wouldn't consider anything else personally.

edit: Sorry I see you're looking for something that doesn't plug into a TV. Well you say she has a DS but I don't understand how she can grow out of it. The logical upgrade would be the 3DS XL anyway.
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't you buy her an android tablet. They are cheaper and just as good for games as an Ipad. Plenty of games for the girls and she can get most for free. I have a 3 children and the xbox got boring very quickly for them as did the wii. It also prevents the mums from having to buy new games.
    Forum Member
    Thought it came with a 12GB SSD HDD? :D

Ohhhh what did that all mean :eek:
    Forum Member
    For a 6 year old? I'd say a PS2 as there's a huge catalogue of games and plenty of children titles and as a bonus it's very cheap too. It's more than good enough for a child of that age, I wouldn't consider anything else personally.

edit: Sorry I see you're looking for something that doesn't plug into a TV. Well you say she has a DS but I don't understand how she can grow out of it. The logical upgrade would be the 3DS XL anyway.

Shes a one off...one of those kids that will play and play with something then one day its ....had enough of that what else can I play with :D..bought different games for it and once shes mastered a game she doesnt bother with it again...kids who would have them lol.
    Forum Member
    Shes a one off...one of those kids that will play and play with something then one day its ....had enough of that what else can I play with :D..bought different games for it and once shes mastered a game she doesnt bother with it again...kids who would have them lol.

LBP MILLIONS of levels
  • ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ohhhh what did that all mean :eek:
    It doesn't mean anything as it's not correct. The new low end PS3 model comes with 12GB of flash storage, not an SSD. You can get one starting at £158.

You can increase the storage later with a 2.5" SATA HDD upto 2TB.
    Forum Member
    Better get a HDD equipped PS3 as LBP has a lot of DLC available, and you need somewhere for the online levels to download to.
  • ScrubberScrubber Posts: 4,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wii-U.