Considering a move to Windows - how feasible really?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,001
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Right guys, after googling my head off, bamboozling myself with reviews and blog posts I need some straight advice please :)

I've been on Android (HTC phones) for the last 4 years but I've been offered a good deal on the Lumia 620. I quite like the look of the Windows phone and fancied the change. I'm not one for tons of gimmicky apps, the novelty with that wore off a while back so I reckon I'd get enough from the Windows store. But...

I use gmail, google calender etc. I also use Instagram (not in a teeny way, I run a tiny business and use it for progress shots etc so it's a marketing tool really). Don't want to change from gmail due to business cards and all that. So how workable would a change to Windows really be?

I need to keep costs down so I'm sticking with the relatively budget end, but I of course want to get the best spec phone I can out of them at upgrade but they're more willing to drop price for the Nokia than for a comparable Android.

Comments

• rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think instagram works, this review of a 920 doesn't think so

http://bgr.com/2013/05/10/lumia-920-windows-phone-review/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    There is no official Instagram app available for the windows platform at the moment but, there are 3rd party apps that do the same thing like instagraph which you have to pay for (very cheep though) or metrogram which is free.
    http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/store/app/instagraph/fdbdfd05-a7ab-447b-981a-edf0a42b70b2

I recently got the htc 8S and am using my gmail/googlemail and other email accounts which work a treat once set up on the phone.

Low cost windows 8 phone (camera & storage are a bit naff though) but am loving it none the less..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rjb101 wrote: »
    I don't think instagram works, this review of a 920 doesn't think so

http://bgr.com/2013/05/10/lumia-920-windows-phone-review/

No there's talk of it coming soon, but rumours like that have a habit of taking longer to come true than they say.
    There is no official Instagram app available for the windows platform at the moment but, there are 3rd party apps that do the same thing like instagraph which you have to pay for (very cheep though) or metrogram which is free.
    http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/store/app/instagraph/fdbdfd05-a7ab-447b-981a-edf0a42b70b2

I recently got the htc 8S and am using my gmail/googlemail and other email accounts which work a treat once set up on the phone.

Low cost windows 8 phone (camera & storage are a bit naff though) but am loving it none the less..

Thanks, that's exactly the sort of info I needed. I'd rather not have to faff about with Outlook when I'm used to my gmail. I would if I had to, but...
    I'm happy to compromise on the camera for the cost as it is just used for instagram snaps etc.anyway. I'd have gone for the 520 in fact if it had a flash as it's a little thinner and feels nicer than the 620. The htc 8s was an option too, but I fancied Nokia Drive.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the problem with changing platforms, if you use a service or app that is not available on the other platform you are stuffed.

It would not affect me so much as I don't use gmail for emails, only for contacts sync and most of the apps I use is available on other platforms.

The only thing that would bug me if I could not get my email from the account I use, simple on a Android phone, just add a pop account, not sure if you can do that on a windows phone, I presume you can.
  • on the airon the air Posts: 1,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nokia drive is available on the 8s under the branding of 'Here'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    This is the problem with changing platforms, if you use a service or app that is not available on the other platform you are stuffed.

It would not affect me so much as I don't use gmail for emails, only for contacts sync and most of the apps I use is available on other platforms.

The only thing that would bug me if I could not get my email from the account I use, simple on a Android phone, just add a pop account, not sure if you can do that on a windows phone, I presume you can.

Yes, it's really what's making me hesitate. But Vodafone only seem prepared to batter the price down on the Windows handsets. I tried them on comparable spec Androids and they weren't budging. Albeit, that's my first call, I still have the ask for PAC etc rigmarole to go through yet.

on the air wrote: »
    Nokia drive is available on the 8s under the branding of 'Here'

Ah! That throws another phone into the mix LOL! I liked the form of the 8s although the Nokia is a bit better on memory.
  • barker71barker71 Posts: 663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whats the deal with windows phone and an equivalent google now option?
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, it's really what's making me hesitate. But Vodafone only seem prepared to batter the price down on the Windows handsets. I tried them on comparable spec Androids and they weren't budging. Albeit, that's my first call, I still have the ask for PAC etc rigmarole to go through yet.

Ah! That throws another phone into the mix LOL! I liked the form of the 8s although the Nokia is a bit better on memory.

You'll find all you need on a W8 phone and its a lot nicer to look at, crisper if you like than Android. I use both at the moment (not W8 just yet) and like them both but the windows 7.8(?) is just a pleasure to use, less crowded, I'm still waiting on a W8 phone I like the look and feel of and when found I'll buy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I went for a sim only contract and got myself a Nexus 4, for me it was the best option, for the price i was prepared to pay, in fact the Nexus was a little more than what I really wanted to pay but it is a good phone and should last me for a few years as long as I don't drop it.

TBH, I think all the Apps I use at the moment are available on the Windows phone, so if I wanted a windows phone I could have got one but I don't like them to be honest.

There is one App that I may get that so far is not available on WP.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right guys, after googling my head off, bamboozling myself with reviews and blog posts I need some straight advice please :)

I've been on Android (HTC phones) for the last 4 years but I've been offered a good deal on the Lumia 620. I quite like the look of the Windows phone and fancied the change. I'm not one for tons of gimmicky apps, the novelty with that wore off a while back so I reckon I'd get enough from the Windows store. But...

I use gmail, google calender etc. I also use Instagram (not in a teeny way, I run a tiny business and use it for progress shots etc so it's a marketing tool really). Don't want to change from gmail due to business cards and all that. So how workable would a change to Windows really be?

I need to keep costs down so I'm sticking with the relatively budget end, but I of course want to get the best spec phone I can out of them at upgrade but they're more willing to drop price for the Nokia than for a comparable Android.

Is Instagram the right tool for what you are trying to achieve re: the progress shots and marketing?

If you give us more detail about how you're making use of Instagram then we might be able to suggest an alternative to Instagram that does work on Windows Phone.

As far as Windows Phone handsets go, I would always pick a Nokia if I could due to the better support and some Nokia exclusive apps. The exception being the HTC 8X which provides a flagship phone in a package that is much thinner and lighter than the Lumia 920.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    Is Instagram the right tool for what you are trying to achieve re: the progress shots and marketing?

If you give us more detail about how you're making use of Instagram then we might be able to suggest an alternative to Instagram that does work on Windows Phone.

As far as Windows Phone handsets go, I would always pick a Nokia if I could due to the better support and some Nokia exclusive apps. The exception being the HTC 8X which provides a flagship phone in a package that is much thinner and lighter than the Lumia 920.

Well, it seems to work pretty well at the moment in that I've been building up followers. It's in the fashion area and the type of item I make has a keen cult following who like seeing construction shots and a lot of that demographic seem to use Instagram. It is just part of a wider social media plan. Although I don't use Twitter as much as I could. I'm always open to suggestions of course :) but Instagram seems to be the one to catch people at the moment.

My budget is definitely more the 620 or hs and although I liked the look and feel of the htc better, the Lumia 620 seems the better option.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barker71 wrote: »
    Whats the deal with windows phone and an equivalent google now option?

Well that's the problem, they can't match at all with anything truly equivalent. They did say the Windows phones aren't selling as well hence the lower prices. To get an Android for the same price I'd need to get something like a Samsung Ace or Fame.
    neo_wales wrote: »
    You'll find all you need on a W8 phone and its a lot nicer to look at, crisper if you like than Android. I use both at the moment (not W8 just yet) and like them both but the windows 7.8(?) is just a pleasure to use, less crowded, I'm still waiting on a W8 phone I like the look and feel of and when found I'll buy.

I did like the layout, even the typography when I had a shot of it.
    I went for a sim only contract and got myself a Nexus 4, for me it was the best option, for the price i was prepared to pay, in fact the Nexus was a little more than what I really wanted to pay but it is a good phone and should last me for a few years as long as I don't drop it.

TBH, I think all the Apps I use at the moment are available on the Windows phone, so if I wanted a windows phone I could have got one but I don't like them to be honest.

There is one App that I may get that so far is not available on WP.

I was pleasantly surprised to find even the Scotrail app was available. Which is one I do use and didn't expect to find!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, it seems to work pretty well at the moment in that I've been building up followers. It's in the fashion area and the type of item I make has a keen cult following who like seeing construction shots and a lot of that demographic seem to use Instagram. It is just part of a wider social media plan. Although I don't use Twitter as much as I could. I'm always open to suggestions of course :) but Instagram seems to be the one to catch people at the moment.

My budget is definitely more the 620 or hs and although I liked the look and feel of the htc better, the Lumia 620 seems the better option.

Ok, whilst there is no native Instagram client, there are third-party instagram apps. Most are for browsing/commenting on Instagram but there are a couple you can use to upload to instagram, sadly it's just not the official app. Instagraph is one and some more here: http://wmpoweruser.com/windows-phone-gets-another-instagram-upload-client/

Nokia has certainly been trying to get Facebook to give Windows Phone an Instagram app with their 2Instawithlove campaign so one may come.

I reckon for most other things the Lumia 620 will be fine for you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You currently have a Windows Phone right?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.switchtowp8&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5taWNyb3NvZnQuc3dpdGNodG93cDgiXQ

The android app linked to above will tell you what is available on Windows Phone for the apps you currently use on your android phone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You currently have a Windows Phone right?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.switchtowp8&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5taWNyb3NvZnQuc3dpdGNodG93cDgiXQ

The android app linked to above will tell you what is available on Windows Phone for the apps you currently use on your android phone.

Thanks! That's very handy. I'll try that later. Yeah, on Android at the moment but I've pretty much made up my mind it'll be the 620. Thanks for your help :)

And hopefully that official instagram app will be along shortly. In the meantime I'll try the alternatives out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was pleasantly surprised to find even the Scotrail app was available. Which is one I do use and didn't expect to find!

i am thinking of getting a parrot and the app for that is only availble for IOS and android.

even if it was available for athe WP, i would still have given the WP a miss.

It will be a few years now I hope before i even think about getting another phone.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i am thinking of getting a parrot and the app for that is only availble for IOS and android.

even if it was available for athe WP, i would still have given the WP a miss.

It will be a few years now I hope before i even think about getting another phone.

Congratulations on yet again adding nothing of value to a thread.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But his posts are entertaining lol
  • legends wear 7legends wear 7 Posts: 2,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a total convert, my wp8 phone is perfect.

I made the move from gmail to outlook.com and dont regret it at all, the intergration between, outlook.com, the phone and skydrive is very good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You now know that the Parrot app is not available on the windows phone, useful for someone who is thinking fo getting the Parrot. Saying that, they only got one of their apps on Android, the director mode seems to be coming only for IOS,
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    There are a few irritating things about Windows Phone, one of them was no Bluetooth transfer but that's now been fixed but there's still no separate volume control for games/ watching videos and particularly annoying is the inability to block numbers, especially since I'm getting a lot of spam calls.
  • RealaleRealale Posts: 6,381
    Forum Member
    I love my Lumia 620, excellent little phone.
  • barker71barker71 Posts: 663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whats the situation with tethering on windows phone? Is it something that is enabled on the network side or can anyone do it like how it is with android?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barker71 wrote: »
    Whats the situation with tethering on windows phone? Is it something that is enabled on the network side or can anyone do it like how it is with android?

It's baked in to the phone software. Never known for it not to be an option. I use "Internet sharing" as its called every day.

A network can try and detect and block tethering on their end but that can't be helped by what handset you have on any platform.