is there a cure for parvo?

big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
Forum Member
✭✭
the only reason i ask is i remember when i was about 12 or 13 my dog died of parvo he was a lovely german shepard called zach and he was like a member of the family and just a big ball of fur. it was so upsetting at the time and i havent heard of any dogs getting this recently.

what exactly is it?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a nasty virus that affects the heart or guts of dogs, normally puppies. A cure is only possible with early diagnosis and intensive treatment (long stay at the vets on a drip type thing). It can be passed from dog to dog or from grass where an infected dog has done it's business hence the importance of getting puppies vaccinated against it. It has a very high mortality rate, over 90% :(

Sadly, it is still around. A popular playing field near me had signs on it warning of parvo because over 9 dogs that had been walked there had died from it in the space of a month. The rescue I got my greyhound from would often have pups in that had parvo. Many of them didn't make it :cry:
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh thats so sad about the playing field, most dogs are so innocent and dont deserve this at all, i suppose its like cancer for humans and mitsytosis for rabbits
  • North DownsNorth Downs Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's only been around, or recognised for 35 years and soon a vaccination was added to the annual jabs. I didn't realise it was still around.
    Most serious illness's in dogs, such as distemper were almost eliminated after vaccinations were available.