Tacolneston - removal of old mast

SpotSpot Posts: 25,118
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This evening I can only see one set of mast lights at Tacolneston, which leads me to believe that the old mast has been removed, or at least the process is underway. I'm pretty certain both masts were still lit over the weekend but honestly can't remember when I last looked - a few nights ago at the most.

Does anyone have any more information about this?

Comments

• Dr.OliverTwichDr.OliverTwich Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arqiva asked back in June 2011 for Planning consent to keep the old mast... While they got approval it was subject to removal by December 2013. So it may be worth you taking a stroll to see?

MB21 would be grateful for any photos of the dismantling work!
  • GreeboGreebo Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a NOTAM in place to cover the lack of warning lights while the mast is dismantled: http://www.notaminfo.com/explain?id=147294/0
    AIR NAV OBSTACLE LIGHT EGSV2311 UK0171A057F,RTM SINGLE,POSITION 523103.98N 0010819.52E,ELEVATION 757FT / HEIGHT 547FT.OBSTACLE LIGHT SWITCHED OFF DUE TO STRUCTURE BEING DISMANTLED.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am keeping a close eye on developments - my contacts elsewhere confirm the mast is due to be dismantled very soon. It was brought back into service over the past couple of weeks to transmit FM and DAB whilst the mast stay wires on the new mast were greased, but they were due to be transferred back yesterday.

Does anyone know how they will do it? I assume it is a process which will take a few days as they take it down bit by bit. Do they have to use a helicopter to lift off the higher parts of the mast? Presumably bad weather would cause a delay - the forecast for the next couple of days isn't too favourable for that sort of work.
  • radioredcatradioredcat Posts: 1,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    Does anyone know how they will do it? .

They use a Derrick/Jib/crane see the article below the Derrick is attached near to the top of the mast just below the section to be lowered and when they have released the section it is lowered to the ground.

This article is building masts so dismantling is the reverse.

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/features/construction/index.shtml

The temporary mast at Sutton Coldfield is being dismantled as well and you can clearly see the Derrick/Jib/crane on the pictures.

Andy
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I could see from the Norwich by-pass today it appeared that the two masts are still standing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    As far as I could see from the Norwich by-pass today it appeared that the two masts are still standing.

Yes, against expectations the old mast is still there. I am keeping watch for signs of dismantling and it seemed logical that this would happen pretty quickly after the aircraft warning lights were deactivated.

If anyone has any further news, please post it here.
  • David_AylingDavid_Ayling Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    found this on the following site: Within the terms of the new mast planning permission, the original mast is likely to remain in place until the latter part of 2013.

http://www.thebigtower.com/live/Tacolneston/Index.htm
    i hope this helps you
  • HeinzHeinz Posts: 7,210
    Forum Member
    found this on the following site: Within the terms of the new mast planning permission, the original mast is likely to remain in place until the latter part of 2013.
    I think November 2013 falls within that timeline.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was still standing today
  • freetoview33freetoview33 Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was still standing today

I don't get why the land lights were taken off that early! Unless it was due to be taken down and something has caused a delay.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get why the land lights were taken off that early! Unless it was due to be taken down and something has caused a delay.

Could be trying to be green and save electricity. Joking apart they could have considered that the new mast lights would suffice due to the fact that they are relatively close together and aircraft would give this area quite a wide berth.
  • Mark SmithMark Smith Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could be trying to be green and save electricity. Joking apart they could have considered that the new mast lights would suffice due to the fact that they are relatively close together and aircraft would give this area quite a wide berth.

The second, smaller mast at Sudbury has never had lights even though it is tall enough to require having them if the larger mast wasn't there.
  • cyril-furrcyril-furr Posts: 1,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark Smith wrote: »
    The second, smaller mast at Sudbury has never had lights even though it is tall enough to require having them if the larger mast wasn't there.

C55, the BBC MUX had been very weak here near Thetford, but about 3 days ago, both strength & quality shot up to 100% on C55, so wondering if the top of the old mast has finally been removed? - all other Tacolneston MUX's good & strong.
    I'm going to Banham car boot this morning, so a divert to Tac, is not far off route - I'll let you know if things are under way:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just an update to my last post, I did visit Tacolneston this morning & can confirm it looks like the old mast is in the process of being removed, the RF panels at the top have been removed, it is virtually stripped down to the metal, though the microwave dishes are still in place - Balfore Beaty were on site with the gates wide open, so as it is a sunday, I assume there is some urgency to the work:)

I wonder if it will just be knocked over, having removed anything that is recyclable?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's very helpful - Balfour Beatty built the new mast so it seems likely they might also have the job of removing the old one. They are supposed to have the job completed before the end of the year and I doubt the local council would be very pleased if they miss the deadline. I might take a wander over there myself in the next day or two.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's very helpful - Balfour Beatty built the new mast so it seems likely they might also have the job of removing the old one. They are supposed to have the job completed before the end of the year and I doubt the local council would be very pleased if they miss the deadline. I might take a wander over there myself in the next day or two.

It probably explains why some people have been losing Tacolneston signals, the high-reach access they must have used to remove the aerial panels, may have been blocking the signal from the new mast in some directions - please keep this thread updated if you hear there is going to be a "Timber" with the mast falling down situation:D - worth a day of work to see that:)

I did take some pics, as the sun was shining bright on the sad old mast spot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been sent this by a friend which I understand is from the latest edition of the Tacolneston Times. I can't find it online as yet but the information came from someone who lives in the area.
    Arqiva the transmitter operators, have just advised Tacolneston Parish Council and South Norfolk District Council Planning Department that they will not be able to meet the December planning deadline with a new target of January 2014. Saleem Shamash, Arqiva's Town Planning Manager concluded his email with the following, Arqiva apologise unreservedly for the continued disruption and disappointment this news will bring.
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cyril-furr wrote: »
    I wonder if it will just be knocked over, having removed anything that is recyclable?

How would they do that, when it's in such close proximity to the new mast, and the buildings !?

You'd have to remove the guys wires on one side, which are under permanent tension, and that's over simplifying that task !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    How would they do that, when it's in such close proximity to the new mast, and the buildings !?

You'd have to remove the guys wires on one side, which are under permanent tension, and that's over simplifying that task !

Just remove the guy wires on the east (& new mast side) it should fall down through the open gateway to the west - the local gypsy's would have it cut up & down the scrap merchants in a day:D
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just remove the guy wires on the east (& new mast side) it should fall down through the open gateway to the west - the local gypsy's would have it cut up & down the scrap merchants in a day:D

Sounds like a plan :cool:
  • Dr.OliverTwichDr.OliverTwich Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The winds tonight may do it? :cool: {really though, I truly hope not - anywhere on the Tx network! I suspect the weather recently will account for the delays in dismantling the mast, as Riggers would not be safe aloft!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know, has the old mast gone?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still there at the moment. I can see it out of the window here in Thorpe - it's a long way away but I am high up.

Any time now though. If anyone has any further info, please share it here. Although I can see the mast it probably won't be possible to see any activity on it from such a distance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still there at the moment. I can see it out of the window here in Thorpe - it's a long way away but I am high up.

Any time now though. If anyone has any further info, please share it here. Although I can see the mast it probably won't be possible to see any activity on it from such a distance.

Yes, I answered my own question as I had a drive up to Norwich today, you can see the masts from a short section of the A11.

I had a look at Balfour Beaty's website today & they say each Aerial panel on the new mast, weighs about 5 tonns;-)
    They must be full of lead!
    http://www.bbusl.com/case-study/tacolneston/
  • ab48ukab48uk Posts: 544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a look at Balfour Beaty's website today & they say each Aerial panel on the new mast, weighs about 5 tonns;-)
    They must be full of lead!
    http://www.bbusl.com/case-study/tacolneston/
    To be a bit pedantic, they were talking in Tonnes equal to 1000 kilograms, not the British Ton of 1016.046909 kilograms.

Close enough for Jazz though. :cool: