Is anyone planning to see Man of Steel at the imax?

jesse_pinkmanjesse_pinkman Posts: 500
Forum Member
✭✭
I really like the look of the trailers and thinking this might be worth seeing at the Imax.

Anyone else planning on going?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    I wanted to (especially after seeing Watchmen the other day), but there isn't an IMAX near me...
  • Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will be yes!!
  • mwardymwardy Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After seeing Skyfall in a digital IMAX, which like MoS wasn't shot in native IMAX but upscaled, nah.

On the other hand, will be travelling 100 miles to the nearest IMAX Grand Theatre (Manchester) for Star Trek: Into Darkness! :D
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    does Imax even exist anymore ? I mean its just digital video like all the other cinemas isn't it ?

the films aren't shot in Imax and the theatre doesn't show Imax ...
    Forum Member
    does Imax even exist anymore ? I mean its just digital video like all the other cinemas isn't it ?

Yes, IMAX is a specific type of camera and video specification. It is arguably just like any other digital video, but it's also to do with the projection quality and stuff like that.

Of Snyder's previous work 300, Watchmen and Sucker Punch were all converted to IMAX.

And according to the technical specifications on IMDB (don't know reliable they are) Man of Steel was not natively shot on IMAX, so will have been converted in post production
  • jesse_pinkmanjesse_pinkman Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the info theonlyweeman. I saw Dark Knight Rises at the Imax and that was well worth seeing. Not sure if Man of Steel will match that experience, but I'm probably going to try and see it there.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the info theonlyweeman. I saw Dark Knight Rises at the Imax and that was well worth seeing. Not sure if Man of Steel will match that experience, but I'm probably going to try and see it there.

TDKR was shot in native IMAX, so will probably be a better experience than Man of Steel (assuming the information is correct and it has been converted rather than shot natively)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is incorrect. Many films are indeed shot digitally then upscaled for exhibition in an IMAX at a ratio of about 1.9:1. I find this makes a difference but one personally not worth paying for. However, some feature films are (partially) shot in true IMAX format which uses 65mm film. The Dark Knight Rises and Star Trek 2 are two examples. These can then be shown in a digital IMAX (aka 'Liemax') where they also have a ratio of 1.9:1. The native format is really worth seeing in these theatres IMHO.

However, there are a few so-called Grand Theatres in the UK which run analogue 15/70 (70mm film with 15 sprocket holes per frame) prints of natively shot film, and the ratio opens out to about 1.44:1. In Manchester this gives a screen height of about 80 feet of extraordinarily clear image (compared to about 30 feet in a digital IMAX) and is more like a religious experience! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mwardy wrote: »
    This is incorrect. Many films are indeed shot digitally then upscaled for exhibition in an IMAX at a ratio of about 1.9:1. I find this makes a difference but one personally not worth paying for. However, some feature films are (partially) shot in true IMAX format which uses 65mm film. The Dark Knight Rises and Star Trek 2 are two examples. These can then be shown in a digital IMAX (aka 'Liemax') where they also have a ratio of 1.9:1. The native format is really worth seeing in these theatres IMHO.

However, there are a few so-called Grand Theatres in the UK which run analogue 15/70 (70mm film with 15 sprocket holes per frame) prints of natively shot film, and the ratio opens out to about 1.44:1. In Manchester this gives a screen height of about 80 feet of extraordinarily clear image (compared to about 30 feet in a digital IMAX) and is more like a religious experience! :)

that's ^ proper Imax , afaik theres only 2 of those in the country , so all the other Imaxs are 'Liemax' .

parts of star trek 2 are shot in 70mm Imax , but this is extremely rare , indeed shooting on film is almost gone totally .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that's ^ proper Imax , afaik theres only 2 of those in the country , so all the other Imaxs are 'Liemax' .

parts of star trek 2 are shot in 70mm Imax , but this is extremely rare , indeed shooting on film is almost gone totally .

Actually there are a few more than that--Bradford, Manchester, 2 in London, and Edinburgh. And yes, native IMAX is rarely used for filming but these are recent examples, so if people come to understand the difference and prefer to go to the few venues available they might catch on. Well, you can hope.
    Forum Member

Christopher Nolan still uses film, Tarantino still uses film, Scorsese gave up and went digital because it was too hard to track down film...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christopher Nolan still uses film, Tarantino still uses film, Scorsese gave up and went digital because it was too hard to track down film...

Tarantino is thinking of retiring from movies because of the imminent extinction of film - shooting and projection

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a441960/quentin-tarantino-i-cant-stand-digital-filmmaking-its-tv-in-public.html

it'll be interesting to see if chris nolan can make his next feature on film , if he does it'll probably be the last time .
    Forum Member
    Tarantino is thinking of retiring from movies because of the imminent extinction of film - shooting and projection

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a441960/quentin-tarantino-i-cant-stand-digital-filmmaking-its-tv-in-public.html

it'll be interesting to see if chris nolan can make his next feature on film , if he does it'll probably be the last time .
    I don't take anything Tarantino says seriously, he claimed that "Django Unchained" was raising attention for slavery, and after that C4 interview, I'd just ignore anything he says. That said, I get the impression he would quit directing if he couldn't use film...

He's Chris Nolan, seeing as he is/was in charge of two of their biggest franchises and his other recent films are all successful, Warner Bros. will probably bend over backwards to find film for him.

Bit surprised to see Warner give Zack Snyder another go at a superhero film, his recent films haven't exactly lit the box office on fire. I think Watchmen, Owls of Ka'ah (or whatever it was called) and Sucker Punch all lost money at the box office. (Though Watchmen and Sucker Punch probably made up with home media sales)